Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit for BillPay Plan with Meteor?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

Meteor have again cancelled my order for a new HTC Desire with Billpay plan. Today the excuse is that they needed a €300 deposit from me and was unable to contact me (no missed calls, and phone is on & with me 24/7)

Now, there was no mention of this on their website when I ordered the phone, and after speaking with the support desk I got the impression that only some people get asked for this deposit.

So, if you've signed up for a Meteor BillPay plan previously, did you have to pay a deposit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Why _So_Serious?

Do you also have to pay, say if you switch on 1 of the bill pay lite option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

got my meteor bill in mams name didnt have to pay a deposit then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I had to pay a deposit of 120 euros when I first signed up to bill yearrrssss ago.

The deposit you get back as credit on your bills after 6 months.

It is a deterant to clamp down on people who take bill phones and pull a legger, which was very common with foreigners unfortunately.

From my understanding there are certain criteria that would force an employee to put the deposit on you.

It is also just completly at random on some occasions.

Annoyed me at first, but at the time the phone i was buying was top of the range and i was looknig for a bill phone at 16, so obviously i was in the criteria, paid them up front no problems and it all came off bils over the course of ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

when i joined bill from credit i never had to pay anything and i was only 18 at the time.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm employed for 15 years straight, have healthy bank balance, no outstanding loans, and little in the way of outgoings. Now I'm not boasting, but it's relevant as it should in theory put me at a low risk of 'pulling a legger', and give me a good credit rating.

Of course, I've no idea what sort of checks they do, or how they decide who has to pay the a deposit. Perhaps it's just completely random!!!

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm glad to know this isn't the norm, but does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

I had to pay a €100 deposit when i moved to vodafone last year, signed up to meteor bill pay last week and didn't have to pay a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I'm employed for 15 years straight, have healthy bank balance, no outstanding loans, and little in the way of outgoings. Now I'm not boasting, but it's relevant as it should in theory put me at a low risk of 'pulling a legger', and give me a good credit rating.

Of course, I've no idea what sort of checks they do, or how they decide who has to pay the a deposit. Perhaps it's just completely random!!!

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'm glad to know this isn't the norm, but does happen.

You're giving them too much credit, they don't check anything externally. Having sold these contracts I never saw any pattern to who was picked for a deposit. It looks like they just randomly pick people

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

I moved over last weekend to get the HTC Desire and I had to pay the deposit which didn't bother me to be honest. The girl in the shop said i'll get it back to my CC after 6 mths.

Advertisement