Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Paraguay RDS 7:45 Tuesday 25th May.(Sky Sports 1)

• 24-05-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

No debuts in starting XI with substitutes presumably named later

Starting XI:
    Westwood (Coventry City)
    Kelly (Fulham)
    McShane (Hull City),
    St Ledger (Preston North End)
    O'Shea (Manchester United)
    Lawrence (Stoke City
    Whelan (Stoke City)
    Andrews (Blackburn Rovers),
    Duff (Fulham),
    Keane (Tottenham Hotspur),
    Doyle (Wolves)

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/8701396.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Should be a good match. Just looking at the Paraguay squad, alot of experience in there so will be interesting.

I predict 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I was expecting one or two more inexperienced players to start, like maybe stokes up front with doyle, and keane to come on if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Yea I would have liked to see Stokes starting too. I think he has turned a corner in his career this season having admitted he read too much into his hype when he was younger and being 2nd top scorer in the SPL with some very average service from the Hibs midfield. at 21, he still could be a huge player for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

any idea what team Paraguay will put out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Our strongest team available. I like that. I'd love to be going but can't make it. Algeria I probably won't bother watching but I think this could be a decent game. Cardozo and Santa Cruz up front yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

1-0 to the Guay I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

In qualifying they mainly played with 2 upfront - usually Valdez and Cabanas with Cardoza rotating in sometimes. Whenever Santa Cruz was available, it would become 3 upfront. Cabanas was their top scorer in qualifying, so he'll be missed (he was the guy who was shot in the head earlier this year in Mexico City). I reckon it'll be Valdez + 1 other of Cardoza or Santa Cruz starting.

Keep an eye out for Riveros - we'll be seeing him in the EPL next season, he's just after signing for Sunderland. He can play most places across midfield but mainly the left-side I believe. Victor Caceres is another decent player to look out for at defensive-mid.

Paraguay are a tough physical side. I can see this being 1-1, or a narrow 2-1 to either team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Good to see John o Shea in but i would have rathered some of the younger inexperienced lads get a start,theres always Friday I suppose

Yea, I hope O'Shea and Kelly wil be the first choice full backs for the Euro qualifiers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yea, I hope O'Shea and Kelly wil be the first choice full backs for the Euro qualifiers

Not a fan of Kelly, very limited player in my book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

If O'Shea plays full back who will play in the centre of the defense with Dunne though? I though they were both pretty solid playing together in the last campign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Not crazy about the likes of McShane, St Ledger, Whelan and Andrews playing. Would have liked to see some new blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

This in lansdown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

This in lansdown?
    Both games are in the RDS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ah cool thanks had hopped to schedule a couple of meetings in Dublin this week but was forced to put them back till next week :( so I can't go

Not a fan of Kelly, very limited player in my book.

alternatives are Kilbane, Coleman and Foley. If Carr was available I'd have him in RB.

Kilbane is not an option for me. He made huge mistakes home and away against Bulgaria if I remember correctly which ultimately cost us 4 points. These are points we need to be taking, Kilbane is a liability I think.

Coleman is probably the future RB for Ireland and has the potential to rack up a century of caps but lets not throw him in the deep end. Moyes is developing him well by not starting him all the time and giving him an opportunity at Blackpool. We should do something similar and give him a few appearances off the bench until he begins to develop more.

Foley, I rate Foley but I would have Kelly ahead of him. Kelly is nothing spectacular, but he'll give 100% and a decent performance week in week out. His consistency his crucail, especially for a RB.

Perhaps Finnan is an option when he regains full fitness and form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Coleman is a serious prospect and will hopefully kick on next season and be first choice right back for us by the end of the campaign. If O'Hara does declare for us he could do a decent job at left back I reckon. With O'Shea and Dunne in the centre and Given in goals that could be a serious defence.

alternatives are Kilbane, Coleman and Foley. If Carr was available I'd have him in RB.

Kilbane is not an option for me. He made huge mistakes home and away against Bulgaria if I remember correctly which ultimately cost us 4 points. These are points we need to be taking, Kilbane is a liability I think.

Coleman is probably the future RB for Ireland and has the potential to rack up a century of caps but lets not throw him in the deep end. Moyes is developing him well by not starting him all the time and giving him an opportunity at Blackpool. We should do something similar and give him a few appearances off the bench until he begins to develop more.

Foley, I rate Foley but I would have Kelly ahead of him. Kelly is nothing spectacular, but he'll give 100% and a decent performance week in week out. His consistency his crucail, especially for a RB.

Perhaps Finnan is an option when he regains full fitness and form

I'm mostly basing it on a performance he gave for Ireland a few years ago, it was in Lansdowne so it was a while ago anyway. Looked very nervous, made mistakes and was off the pace of the game, maybe he's matured since then. I've faith in Trap to pick the right team anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Not often we play in RDS, when was last time?? Vs Wales in 92/93ish??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

So this game won't be on normal tv? Such a shame! First tickets are ridiculously over priced and now the game is not on tv? Sad!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Shame there's no James McCarthy or Marc Wilson in the squad. I want us to try different alternatives in central midfield as it's by far our greatest weakness. The latter is a decent defensive midfielder but utter shit defender and I fear he might play there in the future. Hope Fahey gets a run out in CM.

Also hope Stokes gets a run out, he is the future of our strikeforce. That's slightly depressing in a way, but no other decent young strikers are appearing on the horizon to fill Robbie's boots (although Simon Cox is practically begging Trap to call him up).

Finally - is it just me that thinks Stephen Quinn would've been a much better selection than Green? Or is he injured?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

MIN2511 wrote: »
    So this game won't be on normal tv? Such a shame! First tickets are ridiculously over priced and now the game is not on tv? Sad!!
    FAI look out for the fans as usual

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Wanted Coleman to start!

This is Paraguay's fourth world cup in a row - becoming one of those boringly consistent world nations like Mexico!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Finnan needs to find a club ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Anyone know if you can buy tickets outside the RDS from the FAI ticket vans?

Completely forgot that this match was tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Got Paraguay in a random World Cup sweepstake - bought a rubbish Santa Cruz tee on eBay to cheer them on tonight :D Unless I'm severly over-estimating our (paraguay's) chances in the WC, I think Ireland don't have much of a chance tonight

One thing i hope for with these friendlies and training camps is that Trap can get a new full back instead of that donkey Kilbane 2 own goals.Yes hes been a great servant for us but hes becoming like Gary Breen was, a liability in defense. I was at the one at home against Bulgaria was disgusted, he could have been the difference between qualifying ahead of Italy automatically, In the system that we play any silly mistakes is crucial to the outcome of the game as was in that match I referred to, maybe Kevin Foley could step up to the mark if he is in the squad.

I'll be really disappointed if Fahey doesn't get on tonight or against Algeria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Wanted Coleman to start!

This is Paraguay's fourth world cup in a row - becoming one of those boringly consistent world nations like Mexico!

Sure hes not in the squad.

• Advertisement

Should have been called up though!

I think its time for Kevin Kilbane to move on also... its important for Trap to give other players a chance in the full back positions. Ward,Foley,Coleman or ODea maybe.

I still dont think he will change from a whealan/Andrews CM. Which looks like Gibson will miss out on most of the Qualifing matches, unless theyre injured?

1-1 draw (Lawrence)

I'm sure he would have been if he wasnt playing in the Play off final for Blackpool playing a vital role for them

I know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

They finished ahead of both Argentina and Uruguay in qualifying and only a point behind Brazil.

They also beat Brazil and Argentina and drew with Argentina en route to coming third in the group.

They're there on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm really disappointed that he is playing most of the regulars, surely these games should be all about trying out players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

€35 tickets for this match. I do not want to pay that much but I would love to go to the game. Never been to an Irish match in the RDS

Frisbee wrote: »
    They finished ahead of both Argentina and Uruguay in qualifying and only a point behind Brazil.

They also beat Brazil and Argentina and drew with Argentina en route to coming third in the group.

They're there on merit.

Not begrudging them, but teams in South America who do fantastic in qualifiers, have a habit of burning badly in the World Cup - Colombia 1994/1998, Argentina 2002. I wouldn't expect a lot of Paraguay at the World Cup!

Not begrudging them, but teams in South America who do fantastic in qualifiers, have a habit of burning badly in the World Cup - Colombia 1994/1998, Argentina 2002. I wouldn't expect a lot of Paraguay at the World Cup!

They probably won't do great, granted.

But as a fan of a country I know I'd rather be boringly consistent at the WC than just not at it.

i think they will get out of their group.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm really disappointed that he is playing most of the regulars, surely these games should be all about trying out players.

Indeed, there's no-one particularly I'm looking forward to seeing tonight. Really wanted Fahey to start, I'll be gutted if Andrews is a regular in the Euro qualifiers. Don't think we'll learn anything tonight, maybe Stokes can stake a claim that he's a viable alternative to Keane/Doyle? Or perhaps an opportunity for Doyle to put himself in the shop window for a move to a bigger club?

• Advertisement

i think they will get out of their group.

Slovakia could be tricky customers.

New Zealand are just there to make up numbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Is it not on RTE2!?? Says so on Paddy Power..

Edit: No.. Eurovision is on. :D

Sútalún wrote: »

its on later on RTE2..around half 10 or 11 i think.

Sky Sports 1. live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm kind of annoyed i'll be missing this.

i'd love to see James McCarthy get a decent run-out.

i'm going to stick my neck out for a 2-1 Ireland.

Sútalún wrote: »

Is Kavanagh on tonight?

Niamh, not Graham. :P

Prediction 3-1 to Ireland. :pac:

1-1 I think!

Cardozo Anytime @ 2/1

With the amount of frees we give away I'll take a bit of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Chrisp-all-frippin-mickey!!!

Stan Staunton is on Sky Sports....what were they thinking!

Stan doesn't do talking!

Strong looking line up from Paraguay attacking wise

• Advertisement
Advertisement