Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Paraguay RDS 7:45 Tuesday 25th May.(Sky Sports 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Niska

One of the assistant referees is the spitting image of John O'Shea. Bit confused by that as they were preparing to walk out onto the pitch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

For a pitch thats had a season of rugby played on it, it looks in great shape!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Linesmen don't like us.

Well onside there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The grass seems a little long for football, ball isn't gettting across the ground quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Doyle! Get in:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Go on Doyle!

Injured while scoring that goal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Aboy da Doyler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Did they borrow the goalposts from the local U-16s or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Messy goal but Doyle was brave to get a head on it. Positive start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Well done doyler, brave!

Even though only 10 mins gone, Ireland look far more superior than these south americans, dammit:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Good start. I hope the team push on and try and get more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Even though only 10 mins gone, Ireland look far more superior than these south americans, dammit:mad:

dammit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Yeah better side so far, deserve the lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'd have to doubt how hard the Paraguayans are willing to fight in a friendly with the World Cup not too far away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Ya it really is a kick in the nether regions that we always have to qualify through the toughest route to every WC. Unless your a first or second seed team in Europe you are kinda fecked each time.

These lads would struggle in most European Qualifier groups.

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    dammit?

that their going to south africa but we are not

dsmythy wrote: »
    I'd have to doubt how hard the Paraguayans are willing to fight in a friendly with the World Cup not too far away.

I know but same thing could be said about us that its a nothing game for us, I'd be thinking that the Paraguian players are trying to impress their manager to get on the starting 11 come the world cup.

White boots do not suit John O'Shea!

Archimedes wrote: »
    White boots do not suit John O'Shea!

but remember the time he nutmegged Figo in the CL :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Good first 20 min!

I knew that would be the first reply! :D

I knew that would be the first reply! :D

It's the only one that can explain the white boots :D

dsmythy wrote: »

I'd say they want to give it a lot as their final 23 hasn't been picked yet, plus the fact that a great display tonight might make sure of someones place on starting team for 1st match.
    They have a lot more reason to care about tonight than we do.

how could anyone forget!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCwyTsScAE

Stevecw wrote: »
    I'd say they want to give it a lot as their final 23 hasn't been picked yet, plus the fact that a great display tonight might make sure of someones place on starting team for 1st match.
    They have a lot more reason to care about tonight than we do.

although that can have a negative affect on their team performance. Players are more concerned about their individual performances than the greater team performance

Ah jaysus, stonewall peno.

Ah jaysus, stonewall peno.

I agree, how can that not be a peno, i know its only a friendly but thats disgraceful refereeing.

Great finish, their defence is a shambles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nice one Lawrence.

• Advertisement

2-0. Paraguay are a bit crap, whether that's the amount of effort they're putting in is another thing, but quite happy with the performance so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Excellent finish from Lawrence!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Lawrence could be a key man in the qualifiers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Santa Cruz is shíte!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

very surprised with paraguay, they are playing crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Alright scoreline so far but we're booting it forward a bit much for my liking. Paraguay are ranked 30th in the world so one expect them to be making more of an effort here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Lawrence always seems to do well for Ireland and he's not wanted at Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

JPA wrote: »
    Lawrence always seems to do well for Ireland and he's not wanted at Stoke.
    Absolutely, he didnt have much of a look in there in the last few months, surely another EPL club would want him though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Meh, its hard to watch with nothing on it.

There wasn't much effort from Paraguay and a few of the Irish boys don't looked that bothered either.

Second half could be more interesting if Paraguay bring on some fringe players who want to impress and Ireland do the same.

• Advertisement

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Absolutely, he didnt have much of a look in there in the last few months, surely another EPL club would want him though

Wolves are said to be interested. He's certainly good enough for a decent enough Prem side. I'm surprised Pulis doesn't rate him, I don't think Stoke have anyone better for the right wing

Just switched to SS news, Jason Mcateer commentating, said he has applied for the post of Irish under21 manager and said it could be a stepping stone to become Irish senior manager, another Staunton i think.

Paraguay look fairly poor. Slovakia have to fancy their chances of getting out of that group.

We are winning 2-0 without having done anything much. Its all been a bit easy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Anyone know if there are any highlights being carried?

Aw jesus Stan shut up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just switched to SS news, Jason Mcateer commentating, said he has applied for the post of Irish under21 manager and said it could be a stepping stone to become Irish senior manager, another Staunton i think.
    In fairness to Macca he knows his stuff. Staunton was never the type of guy to make a manager, Macca has a very good knowledge of the game, his problem as a player was discipline and he is wide to what people get up to so he could do well as a manager imo.

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »

RTÉ 2 at half 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

nkay1985 wrote: »

Highlights tonight on RTE 2 at 11:30.

eagle eye wrote: »
    In fairness to Macca he knows his stuff. Staunton was never the type of guy to make a manager, Macca has a very good knowledge of the game, his problem as a player was discipline and he is wide to what people get up to so he could do well as a manager imo.

Suppose i'd give him the u21's job see what he can do, he might be a good motivator for the younger lads

Wolves are said to be interested. He's certainly good enough for a decent enough Prem side. I'm surprised Pulis doesn't rate him, I don't think Stoke have anyone better for the right wing

Problem there is Lawrence has a bit of skill about him, he can pick a pass as he did twice brilliantly for us in Paris for the Duff and Keane missed one on ones. That doesn't suit Stokes style at all. Look at Tuncay who is a much better player than the likes of Sidibe who starts ahead of him. Its just Sidibe is big, and will get his head to a Delap throw in.

Lawrence needs to get out of Stoke as soon as he can, he is at nothing staying there. Wolves could be a good move as at least they will give him a start most weeks, but I think he could do a job for even better sides than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Paraguay won't get out of the group stages on this showing. One eye on the WC obviously though, a couple of lads jumping out of tackles etc.

Tonight Doyle is showing exactly why Trap has recommended him to Juve. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement