Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland -v- Paraguay RDS 7:45 Tuesday 25th May.(Sky Sports 1)

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Better performance in the first half. Still, win's a win!
    Sure is and how often can we say we've beaten a higher ranked team! Another win against Algeria would be a good confidence booster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    who was MOTM?

Doyle, deserved too, no other candidate really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Good win to get, 2nd half was poor enough. Can't argue with Doyle as MOTM, nobody really stood out. He got the 1st goal and gave it everything as always.
    A bit of a nothing game really as will Fridays be.

Paraguay very poor, def going to put money on Slovakia getting out of that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Id say Paraguay are a much better team with Oscar Cardozo playing along with Santa Cruz, still fancy them to go through the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

OH god Staunton just said another classic line, about the goalscorer Barrios

Stan: What a record this boy has 1 in 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

my own favourite from Stan was when the other lad said that Doyles scoring record is somewhat disappointing internationally-to which Stan replies, 'you could say that about anyone playing at this level'. . . .em no stan, wat are you talking about?!

Yup copped that too, was shouting at the screen, what about Keane you fool or berbatov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Really think the team now has a solid structure and foundation .
    We need some luck with blooding young players and get some real promising additions to the current structure .
    I am not as concerned now watching a game , I think we have a basic solid level which we wont fall below (Trap wont allow) .

2 or 3 glossy players to the team and we have every chance of qualifying for a couple of major tournaments .
    Where these 2 or 3 players come from is the big question , we need some of the promising youth to start showing real stardom .

Good solid game tonight , bring on Friday for another injection of confidence , exactly what a developing squad need .

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Glad to get the win tonight, bit of a nothing game, but a win is a win, and its all about building the confidence in the squad.

Doyle put in a good shift, was very impressed with Green when he came on, 2 good headers out of defence, and was good in possession too, did the simple things well.

Thought Long could of got more of a run, but pleased overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

JPA wrote: »
    I have never heard of Sheridan.

Just to add to the other points people made about him, he did OK for Celtic against United in 2008 in the Champions League. He made a fast breakthrough but has not really had many chances since. He has been played on the left a lot but centre forward is his more natural position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Anyone at this game tonight guys? Tickets easy enough to pick up outside the gate? As I might head to Algeria game on Fri evening...

I didn't bother going as it was on Sky Sports, the real reason i didn't go is because of the FAI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

We beat a team tonight that had beaten Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay in world cup qualifying, i still can't help thinking what might have been if we weren't cheated out of our place in the World Cup..............

I didn't bother going as it was on Sky Sports, the real reason i didn't go is because of the FAI

its ridiculous isnt it... they were charging €35 I think for tonights match, it would have been justified but they didn't even fill the RDS..(16,500 from 20,000 seats, I think. that may be the figure with standing).
    My mate wanted to take his 2 nephews for a rare occasion to watch their heroes but in the times that are in it he couldn't fork out €105 for an end of season friendly.
    When I was living in France I went to Stade de France for €15 for a full international, and out of curiosity I looked at Frances next friendly and there are tickets for €20. As unpopular the French are in football terms here, that's a much fairer price for the footballing fan!

its ridiculous isnt it... they were charging €35 I think for tonights match, it would have been justified but they didn't even fill the RDS..(16,500 from 20,000 seats, I think. that may be the figure with standing).
    My mate wanted to take his 2 nephews for a rare occasion to watch their heroes but in the times that are in it he couldn't fork out €105 for an end of season friendly.
    When I was living in France I went to Stade de France for €15 for a full international, and out of curiosity I looked at Frances next friendly and there are tickets for €20. As unpopular the French are in football terms here, that's a much fairer price for the footballing fan!

Yeah plus the fact they refused to give Limerick FC the chance to play against Barcelona, that people who have bought vantage club tickets to watch games for the next 10 years in the new Lansdowne stadium are being asked to pay for a ticket to see the Man Utd game and many other reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Paris should have been the last straw. I f***ing hate seeing McShane in the national team, I'd rather Owen Heary. F*** off ya useless piece of sh!te

It's not his fault, it's not like he picks himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Just to add to the other points people made about him, he did OK for Celtic against United in 2008 in the Champions League. He made a fast breakthrough but has not really had many chances since. He has been played on the left a lot but centre forward is his more natural position.

Robbie Keane praised his performance ...

First Cavan man to play for Ireland !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

baalthor wrote: »
    Robbie Keane praised his performance ...

First Cavan man to play for Ireland !

Did Terry Dixon not come on for a few minutes at some stage? He's from Bailieboro.

Aidric wrote: »
    Doyle & Dunne imo. I think Fahey has a lot of potential also.

He's 27. He's a bit old for people to be saying he has potential now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Some pics I took of last nights game:

4640464768_4e952fd841.jpg

4640423338_e6d19dbbb8.jpg

4639793001_b97bcf3030.jpg

Full set here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lemlin wrote: »
    He's 27. He's a bit old for people to be saying he has potential now.
    Keith Andrews was 27 before he was even in the thoughts of anybody for an International call up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Anyone at this game tonight guys? Tickets easy enough to pick up outside the gate? As I might head to Algeria game on Fri evening...
    Loads of tickets left over as the stadium wasn't filled. But the FAI raised the price for the cheaper behind the goal tickets, so all tickets cost €45 on the night.

@Dodgykeeper: nice pics, especially the one with Trap.

Pro. F wrote: »
    @Dodgykeeper: nice pics, especially the one with Trap.

Yeah he looks like he is bracing himself to head the ball in that one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

anyone know why Santa Cruz was booed when substituted?

Don't recall him doing anything bar setting up Doyle's goal and nearly giving away a penalty.

Does he secretly support Rangers? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'll ignore the stupid first question.
    Kilbane has never been up to the mark. He gives it his all and fair play to him for that but he is not good enough and he never was.

And I'll ignore your foolish opinions that a player with over 100 caps has never been good enough for Ireland.

noodler wrote: »
    And I'll ignore your foolish opinions that a player with over 100 caps has never been good enough for Ireland.

Please back up your opinion. If you disagree with an opinion, challenge it and back up your opinion. Asking me whether or not I am 12 months old and just stating my opinion is foolish does not make me think Kilbane is a better player than I already give him credit for.

With regards Kilbane. I will reiterate, he is a great pro and I will never question his commitment for Ireland, I think most of his fellow pros could learn a lot from his attitude.
    However, does his playing ability merit a century of caps? No, not for me. Do I blame him for playing 102 times for Ireland. No certainly not-if Trap rang me tomorrow asking me to play on Friday I would run to the RDS from here!

Do I think he deserves some sort of a call up and a good few caps. Yes, I'll admit that yes he does(but not near 102!). He stepped in when Ireland lacked any quality in certain positions(left wing, centre mid and left back). So I cannot deny him caps, he was handy enough a while ago to deputise in these postions when needed but he never excelled in any of them.

In recent years he has been a liability. His crucial mistakes against Bulgaria were no accident, they were errors waiting to happen.

O'Shea, Kelly, Foley, Ward, Coleman and Finnan are all superior players and while I thank Kilbane for his attitude and commitment to the cause, I would welcome an overdue dropping down the pecking order.

Noodler, disagree with me if you want, but back it up please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

how did Carlisle legend Keiron Westwood do? he's been getting great reviews for Coventry the last few seasons

eagle eye wrote: »
    Keith Andrews was 27 before he was even in the thoughts of anybody for an International call up.

My point exactly. If Ireland really want to realistically qualify for tournaments we need to be moving away from below par players like Andrews and Whelan to players like James McCarthy or Gibson, who could provide something special in the future.

Fahey is 27. If he had potential, he should have showed it years ago. He might be decent enough as back up but we need some quality young players blooded now. Lads like Andrews/Whelan/Fahey give their all but they are ultimately found wanting.

We've never won a game under Trap by more than a goal and I'd put most of the blame for that down to our midfield - we give away the ball far too much and too easily. Alot of the game also passes the two central midfielders by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Loads of tickets left over as the stadium wasn't filled. But the FAI raised the price for the cheaper behind the goal tickets, so all tickets cost €45 on the night.

Seriously ? Thats bad form. How in the name of god can they justify that price increase on the night ? Attendance was 16,000 last night according to the announcer so there was about 2,000 unsold tickets.

• Advertisement

PCros wrote: »
    Suppose....one gives goals away the other scores them for the opposition.
    Awful comparison, completely unfair on Kilbane.

Its funny, Keane has just had - by far - his best contribution in a campaign for ROI and our opinion of him is at its lowest for a while!
    Really? At home and away against Bulgaria.... he cost us 4 points in those 2 matches!
    I'll ignore the stupid first question.
    Kilbane has never been up to the mark. He gives it his all and fair play to him for that but he is not good enough and he never was.

Your last post is completely different from the above where you simply dismiss him as never being good enough - I honestly do not know whether you are coming or going.

Honestly, compare what you wrote above to what you write in the following:
    Please back up your opinion. If you disagree with an opinion, challenge it and back up your opinion. Asking me whether or not I am 12 months old and just stating my opinion is foolish does not make me think Kilbane is a better player than I already give him credit for.

With regards Kilbane. I will reiterate, he is a great pro and I will never question his commitment for Ireland, I think most of his fellow pros could learn a lot from his attitude.
    However, does his playing ability merit a century of caps? No, not for me. Do I blame him for playing 102 times for Ireland. No certainly not-if Trap rang me tomorrow asking me to play on Friday I would run to the RDS from here!

Do I think he deserves some sort of a call up and a good few caps. Yes, I'll admit that yes he does(but not near 102!). He stepped in when Ireland lacked any quality in certain positions(left wing, centre mid and left back). So I cannot deny him caps, he was handy enough a while ago to deputise in these postions when needed but he never excelled in any of them.

In recent years he has been a liability. His crucial mistakes against Bulgaria were no accident, they were errors waiting to happen.

O'Shea, Kelly, Foley, Ward, Coleman and Finnan are all superior players and while I thank Kilbane for his attitude and commitment to the cause, I would welcome an overdue dropping down the pecking order.

Noodler, disagree with me if you want, but back it up please!

If you think Kilbane's contribution in an Ireland shirt is comparable to that of McShane's, as per the original point I made, then good luck to you.

You are giving it loads in that post and trying your best to sound measured and that is fine but do not pretend what is in the above post is anything like the original point I took issue with - again comparing Kilbane to McShane.

Oh and you can't write off 100 caps for a couple of errors in the last campaign, whether or not Kilbane needs to be replaced is not the issue, it is about recognising his contribution in a green shirt is based on a period of over ten years rather than ten games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

But the FAI raised the price for the cheaper behind the goal tickets, so all tickets cost €45 on the night.

there aren't enough profanities in the English language to describe that shower.

good performance, particularly in the first half.

Doyle looks a top striker now; being back in the top flight of the English League, playing regularly, has done him wonders, he'll give any defender a hard time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

45euro for a ticket last night???? holy f**K.... thats a joke beyond belief.

Id love to see Doyle move to a bigger club then wolves(sorry any wolves fans). Just so he could get more delivery with the better sides.

Your last post is completely different from the above where you simply dismiss him as never being good enough - I honestly do not know whether you are coming or going.

Honestly, compare what you wrote above to what you write in the following:

If you think Kilbane's contribution in an Ireland shirt is comparable to that of McShane's, as per the original point I made, then good luck to you.

You are giving it loads in that post and trying your best to sound measured and that is fine but do not pretend what is in the above post is anything like the original point I took issue with - again comparing Kilbane to McShane.

Oh and you can't write off 100 caps for a couple of errors in the last campaign, whether or not Kilbane needs to be replaced is not the issue, it is about recognising his contribution in a green shirt is based on a period of over ten years rather than ten games.
    Suppose....one gives goals away the other scores them for the opposition.

I pointed out the fact that Kilbane did both against Bulgaria. That was the original point so I stand by that.

I do retract saying he never was good enough, hence why I seemed to contradict myself. (by saying 'I admit' I thought I was making it clear I was going back on an earlier point I made).

My issue with Kilbane is his ability, I recognise his contribution-he gave it his all and nobody could argue that he did not give it all he had. The list of Irish footballers who have/had far superior ability to Kilbane is gigantic. you cannot say he has 102 caps-he must be great. This is not the case. And this is not the case only for his last 10 matches, far more than that.

Similarly it is unfair for me to just point out his Bulgaria errors and judge his 102 caps on those but I have noticed on numerous occasions where he has been found wanting because of;
    Despite his height he is poor-mediocre in the air
    His positioning being poor
    Being severely only left-footed
    In recent years his pace has really been poor

These do not always lead to an opposition goal directly but they are liabilities nonetheless and they have on occasion cost us results.

I am open for you to point out the strength he gives to the team. The only thing I can think of is his experience, but give anyone 102 caps and they'll have experience

I pointed out the fact that Kilbane did both against Bulgaria. That was the original point so I stand by that.

I do retract saying he never was good enough, hence why I seemed to contradict myself. (by saying 'I admit' I thought I was making it clear I was going back on an earlier point I made).

Then we have no argument.

Personally, however, I am not entirely convinced by our alternatives and, despite recent mistakes, still feel Kilbane is quicker than many think and also adds a useful height to the defence.

That said, he is getting on and a replacement will have to be blooded eventually, even if, IMO, he is still the best option right now (as in right now not in September).

bamboozle wrote: »
    how did Carlisle legend Keiron Westwood do? he's been getting great reviews for Coventry the last few seasons

First time i seen him play, made one great save was a world class save to be fair to the chap, couldn't do much about the goal he conceded, so all in all he did a good job between the sticks.

• Advertisement

Great news for Ireland ahead of their clash with Algeria on Friday, a great boost check the link:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12010_6173865,00.html

Great news for Ireland ahead of their clash with Algeria on Friday, a great boost check the link:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12010_6173865,00.html

Please tell me he has about 15 sisters, and ALL their weddings coincide with future Irish internationals.

Then we have no argument.

Personally, however, I am not entirely convinced by our alternatives and, despite recent mistakes, still feel Kilbane is quicker than many think and also adds a useful height to the defence.

That said, he is getting on and a replacement will have to be blooded eventually, even if, IMO, he is still the best option right now (as in right now not in September).

Agree to disagree on this one?!?!?

I just think that current and previous management are too reluctant to blood youngsters at times when they should be getting valuable experience. Then when it comes to big games where experience is crucial, we only have a limited pool of experienced players to choose from.

In my opinion Kilbane has benefited hugely from this as his selections seemed to be based on his experience as opposed to ability

I am not sure if there were any serious complaints about him at left wing where he played the slight majority of his Ireland games. I just don't think our left back options have been up to scratch since Ian Harte decided he didn't like defending anymore.

Advertisement