Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you buy your plants, shrubs, flowers etc?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Between Dundalk, Drogheda and even Newry where does everyone buy their flowers or shrubs for the garden. I've been buying some of this stuff lately and couldnt believe some of the price differences between different outlets.

One thing I have noticed is that no one has offered any help or guidance when purchasing any of the above. It would be nice to get a few tips.

Any recommendations??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Have you tried Stradfield House out by the Ballymac, or Haggardstown Garden Centre?

Don't know much on prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

I was thinking of asking the exact same question here - must be the sun..!

Black's Garden Center just south of Drogheda on Dublin Road is our 'local' (if there's such a thing), but I was wondering if there are any other places that are personable and friendly to novice wanna-be green fingers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Dundalk Garden Centre opposite DkIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Yes Dundalk Garden Centre opposite DkIT was recommended to me this evening but seemingly B&Q in Newry is hard to beat on price.

I have visited Strandfield House but flowers/shrubs are limited, fabulous coffee shop though, worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Haggardstown and Dundalk Garden Centres are both overpriced but can have good plants. B&Q is cheap but you'd need to know what plants are good enough quality wise, as they are not cared for as they would in a proper nursery. If you want cheap; Aldi and Lidl do plants but again you'll need to be able to tell which plants are stressed.
    Finnegans of Silverbride (Armagh Rd) are reasonable with good quality and great advice.
    Strandfield House doesn't have much really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 bmw3d

positron wrote: »
    I was thinking of asking the exact same question here - must be the sun..!

Black's Garden Center just south of Drogheda on Dublin Road is our 'local' (if there's such a thing), but I was wondering if there are any other places that are personable and friendly to novice wanna-be green fingers?
    there is a fella in tenure in manasterboice, its not a garden centre but i know someone he planted a hedge for, my friend said he grew the hedge from little cuttings and planted the whole hedge for him and showed him how to look after it. i think he grows flowers and veg and stuff if thats any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Haggardstown Garden Centre is really good - cheaper than Woodies

• Registered Users Posts: 14 koptart

My other half swears by B&Q but you have to be quick/early in the year. There wouldnt be much there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 freesky

The Indoor Market in Clanbrassil St are great for shrubs and plants, staff are very helpful and friendly too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Strandfield on RHS just before Niall Clarke Oils or Caseys Nurseries on LHS JUST before Niall Clarke Oils.

Anthony runs Caseys and Glenda runs Standfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Best place in louth is out in togher , just round the corner from the garage .Quality stuff and good value .McEvoy Nurseries, Togher Drogheda Louth, (041)6852186

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I buy all mine from the dead or dying trolleys in B&Q and them bring them back to health. I got 8 tomato plants on their last legs for 1.80 and they are thriving now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 poppylily

I have visited Strandfield House but flowers/shrubs are limited, fabulous coffee shop though, worth a visit.[/QUOTE]

OMG, i totally agree, that place is lovely and well worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 greenleaves

My favorite place to buy everything from the most amazing fresh cut flowers to plants and shrubs.
    It is a place where you can spend hours, looking at the interesting finds and gifts on display, getting your daily fruit veg and eggs and to finish off the best coffee and cake around !!!! love it there, and really appreciate that its in my area!

thanks and keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

I remember going to the monastery in Collon years ago to buy plants from the monks there, does anyone know if you can still do that ? I know they were cheap and really healthy,,,

Advertisement