Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire in Spain, driving to France

Options
  • 24-05-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

We've booked a camping holiday in the Languedoc region of France this summer (just across the Spanish Border). We're flying into Gerona Airport, in Northern Spain and hiring a car from there, local rental company is GOLDCAR SPAIN, booked through Holidayautos.ie.

While paying the remainder of my holiday today I had a look at the car-hire details also, and noticed in the small print that I need to pay an extra EUR8 per day if I travel across the border into France, something which I did not see when I booked the car hire in March. I'll actually be in France for 12 days, which means an extra EUR96 onto the car-hire, which I'd rather not pay.

I have a few questions about this:
    1. What happens if I just don't tell them I'm crossing the border? Wil they know anyway?
    2. God forbid, but if I have an accident in France, am I not covered? (I think I know the answer to this one already, but just checking)
    3. Why is this charge levied?
    I've driven on plenty of holidays in Spain, Portugal, France as well as Ireland and I've never seen this before. Any help would be apprecited.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

TheQ47 wrote: »
    • What happens if I just don't tell them I'm crossing the border? Wil they know anyway?

Some rental companies actually equip their cars with GPS receivers that record position and allow them to find out where the car went.
    • God forbid, but if I have an accident in France, am I not covered? (I think I know the answer to this one already, but just checking)

Yep, that is the killer. You would be in blatant violation of the insurance terms and not covered.
    • Why is this charge levied?

Two reasons: One, their standard insurance probably covers Spain only. Larger rental car companies operate internationally and so might find it more convenient to negotiate a single Europe-wide policy. Two, because they can. It is an extra charge that, like it or not, you will have to pay (unless you really want to break the terms of your rental agreement and accept the risks that entails). So it is more money for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

I'm in the same situation as your self. We are flying into Barcelona (BCN) with aerlingus and spending two weeks camping in Le Brasilia (Languedoc). Some of the carhire companies I looked at were very vague regarding taking the car into france. I finally booked a car with sixt (they only operate out of barcelona BCN) as it said on their terms and conditions that cross border rentals are allowed.

Can you cancel your booking and check out others?
    I would either ring or email several companies before you make a new booking. I would say most companies would have no problem with that but better safe than sorry.

I'm also taking out carhire excess insurance before I go, better coverage and cheaper that the hire companies. eg https://www.axacarhireexcess.ie/quote/carhire.aspx?ProductID=106&TerritoryID=104

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

If you want extra insurance covering the excess, check out AutoEurope as well. I have rented through them a few times before and usually found that the zero-excess rate was only a couple euro more than the regular one. Whatever you do, shop around... the travel industry is pretty hard hit by the crisis, it is a buyer's market and you should insist on getting a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Guys, Thanks a mill for that info. I'm actively looking for a new rental price right now.

As a final update on this (in case anyone's interested), I checked about 10 different rental companies and only found 1 with a similar price (about €20 more), but they also had a cross-border charge of €50. I contacted my original company who confirmed that they also only charge €50 max, which means they're still the cheapest.

Most of the large multi-national companies (hertz, avis, Etc.) don't seem to charge this cross-border fee, but then you pay a huge amount more for the rental in the first place (the next nearest with any of those companies was around €90 more). I've generally gone with smaller companies when renting in Europe, and (touch wood!!) I've never had a problem that couoldn't be resolved quickly. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

we do similiar by flying into Barcelona and driving over border but now always go for or similiar big name rental companies. We've found in the past with smaller companies either they charge extra for taking over the border, their excesses are very excessive, and often they weren't any cheaper than the prices quoted from the bigger companies if you build up a bit of a loyalty with them. I'd only hire once a year but always get discounts cos I joined their club at the start. Neighbour at campsite last year did book with a smaller local company in Barcelona. When he got into difficulties with car over the border in France, they rental company wouldn't come over to collect the car. They insisted he bring the car as far as the border - car wasn't drivable so he ended up having to get a tow truck involved. This year we've got a Peugeot 308 for 14 days for 340euro. How does that compare to prices your getting.

we do similiar by flying into Barcelona and driving over border but now always go for or similiar big name rental companies. We've found in the past with smaller companies either they charge extra for taking over the border, their excesses are very excessive, and often they weren't any cheaper than the prices quoted from the bigger companies if you build up a bit of a loyalty with them. I'd only hire once a year but always get discounts cos I joined their club at the start. Neighbour at campsite last year did book with a smaller local company in Barcelona. When he got into difficulties with car over the border in France, they rental company wouldn't come over to collect the car. They insisted he bring the car as far as the border - car wasn't drivable so he ended up having to get a tow truck involved. This year we've got a Peugeot 308 for 14 days for 340euro. How does that compare to prices your getting.

Bigger car (Renault grand Scenic), 15 days (12 in France, 3 in Spain), total cost €760 including cross-border charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭hargo

Car hire in France tends to be more expensive than in Spain so even though you are paying the additional daily cost it works out similar to a French hire cost. They will charge you this additional cost for the full hire even if you only want to cross the border for one day. Try out Hertz booking through Ryanair special offer section, they had some very competitive prices earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

TheQ47 wrote: »
    Bigger car (Renault grand Scenic), 15 days (12 in France, 3 in Spain), total cost €760 including cross-border charge.

thats a hell of a cost for car for 15 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

Booked a Golf / megane / focus size car for 16 days from Barcelona airport. Cost €407 throught sixt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dianef20

Hi,
    I'd like to know if I can rent a car in Marbella, drive up to France and drop the car at the closest big city near the border, then take a train to Cannes.
    I would probably need to rent only for 2 days, how much do you think it would cost me? I'am looking at saving money. Thanks.

Advertisement