Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop from Soundstore

Options
  • 24-05-2010 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Bought a Laptop in Soundstore at Christmas.

But now it won't charge / turn on. I reckon the battery is dead and the lead for charging it is broke so I can't turn it on.

What are my rights here? Am I entitled to a full refund, or are they obliged to repair / swap it for another?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Bought a Laptop in Soundstore at Christmas.

But now it won't charge / turn on. I reckon the battery is dead and the lead for charging it is broke so I can't turn it on.

What are my rights here? Am I entitled to a full refund, or are they obliged to repair / swap it for another?

Repair, Replacement or Refund. The choice is not up to you or the shop but try to come to some agreement. If no agreement can be found, you will either have to walk away or go to court [small claims]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Declan Carey

RangeR wrote: »
    Repair, Replacement or Refund. The choice is not up to you or the shop but try to come to some agreement. If no agreement can be found, you will either have to walk away or go to court [small claims]
    Thanks for the help. Will be paying them a visit tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

batteries generally only have 6 month warrenties and be careful with the broken lead, they might tell you the battery can't last forever and you broke the lead yourself. But try them out anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

TheDriver wrote: »
    batteries generally only have 6 month warrenties and be careful with the broken lead, they might tell you the battery can't last forever and you broke the lead yourself. But try them out anyways

BS. A computer was purchased [not a battery]. It should last for up to 6 years, under Irish law. It's the time frame [up to 6 years] that is as question. Only a court can specify that.

BS. A computer was purchased [not a battery]. It should last for up to 6 years, under Irish law. It's the time frame [up to 6 years] that is as question. Only a court can specify that.
    I don't think its the battery.

When I take out the battery and just plug in the laptop normally, it still doesn't turn on.

I won't be leaving the store tomorrow without some kind of resolution anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't think its the battery.

When I take out the battery and just plug in the laptop normally, it still doesn't turn on.

I won't be leaving the store tomorrow without some kind of resolution anyway!

You mentioned in the first post that the power lead is broken, how did it break?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It should last a reasonable amount of time - the definition of reasonable depends on the product in question. You have up to 6 years to seek redress - not 6 years of product lifetime.

Cabaal wrote: »
    You mentioned in the first post that the power lead is broken, how did it break?
    I've since checked the lead on a neighbours laptop, and it's working perfectly.

I assume now its the plates or connector inside the laptop where one would plug in the lead.

It was working perfectly last night, plugged it in this morning and no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

TBH that has all the signs of a machine that has had a hard life, I'd prob tell you "See you in Court"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I've since checked the lead on a neighbours laptop, and it's working perfectly.

I assume now its the plates or connector inside the laptop where one would plug in the lead.

It was working perfectly last night, plugged it in this morning and no joy.

Is it completely dead, or is it just that Windows won't start? Have you tried your neighbour's power lead (if they are compatible)?

My approach, given that it's only five months old and presumably under retailer warranty (and assuming that there are no obvious signs of external damage) would be to go in at a quiet time and calmly explain the situation, stressing that having a computer is vital. I'd be surprised if you weren't offered a replacement if there is one in stock as I've found Soundstore very reasonable on the one occasion I've had to return something. I think it's unlikely you'll be offered a refund (and you have no right to insist on one) and I think it's reasonable to ask for more than a repair on a 5 month old computer.

Let us know how you get on.

SSE

• Advertisement

TBH that has all the signs of a machine that has had a hard life, I'd prob tell you "See you in Court"
    It's in (well was) perfect condition, and was always used on a desk and never flung around the place. There isn't a mark on it.
    Is it completely dead, or is it just that Windows won't start? Have you tried your neighbour's power lead (if they are compatible)?

My approach, given that it's only five months old and presumably under retailer warranty (and assuming that there are no obvious signs of external damage) would be to go in at a quiet time and calmly explain the situation, stressing that having a computer is vital. I'd be surprised if you weren't offered a replacement if there is one in stock as I've found Soundstore very reasonable on the one occasion I've had to return something. I think it's unlikely you'll be offered a refund (and you have no right to insist on one) and I think it's reasonable to ask for more than a repair on a 5 month old computer.

Let us know how you get on.

SSE
    Its as dead as a doornail. Tried neighbours lead (he has exact same laptop) and his doesnt work. There's just an orange light on the front blinking (which doesn't happen on his one when it's off). I'm guessing the blinking orange light is some "charging error" light. The battery is also fine, tried it in mate's computer. Definitely something to do with where I plug the lead in I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Dell striked up this a while back because people plug in their laptops all day every day ruining their battery very quickly. Battery technology at the budget market isn't great and they need to be treated properly so batteries would have a reasonable lifespan of much less than 6 years. e.g. rechargeable batteries can only be recharged couple of hundred times yet a laptop docked all day is constantly charging and hence burns a memory effect very very quickly. Sorry OP, I know off topic. Good luck tomorrow as sounds like you are very careful with everything.

It's in (well was) perfect condition, and was always used on a desk and never flung around the place. There isn't a mark on it.

Its as dead as a doornail. Tried neighbours lead (he has exact same laptop) and his doesnt work. There's just an orange light on the front blinking (which doesn't happen on his one when it's off). I'm guessing the blinking orange light is some "charging error" light. The battery is also fine, tried it in mate's computer. Definitely something to do with where I plug the lead in I reckon.

Yeah, looks fairly terminal. The laptop I have (Lenovo - best brand ever!) glows Orange and flashes just before the battery dies.

I'd go into Soundstore and explain it to them, I'd say you'd get a replacement TBH given it's only 5 months, they were fine with me (not a computer). I'd ignore all the "stand up for your rights, wait until there's a big crowd, make a show of them" talk you may get or have seen on threads on similar topics, but it's up to you how you approach things. Good luck!

SSE

TheDriver wrote: »
    Dell striked up this a while back because people plug in their laptops all day every day ruining their battery very quickly. Battery technology at the budget market isn't great and they need to be treated properly so batteries would have a reasonable lifespan of much less than 6 years. e.g. rechargeable batteries can only be recharged couple of hundred times yet a laptop docked all day is constantly charging and hence burns a memory effect very very quickly. Sorry OP, I know off topic. Good luck tomorrow as sounds like you are very careful with everything.

Most modern batteries should be Li-Ion which don't suffer from the memory effect. Ni-Cd (ancient) and Ni-MH (medieval) do.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

A battery is a consumable item with a finite amount of charges.

Just like a car, the consumables such as filters, tyres, brake pads are not covered by the warranty.

Advertisement