Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees

Options
  • 24-05-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First off i'm going to say that i'm probably going to get some flak because of this thread, but i believe the topic warrants discussion.

The trees i'm referring to in the thread title are on O'Connell Avenue, has anyone seen what has been done to every single tree along O'Connell Avenue? They have all been cut back to their trunks, it looks terrible and is probably not great for the beautiful mature trees that were there.

Lets look at what made the LCC decide to destroy 20-30 trees, which made O'Connell Avenue such a nice place. There was a fatal accident, which was the product of 3 very specific events, 1, road works, which closed the regular traffic lanes forcing vehicles to drive in parking spaces along the sides of the road. 2, A truck just happened to be driving by on this day and was forced to drive close to the path and hence the trees, and 3 a lady was walking by, What ensued was a horrific accident and i have nothing but sympathy and sorrow for the family of those involved. I include the Truck driver and his family because he and they will have to live with this too.

What are the chances of these specific series of events re-occurring? I would say very slim, to almost non existent. The problem is now that because of this accident and LCC's knee jerk reaction policy to anything that happens in the city, They have destroyed one of the nicest streets in the city, just as it was starting to bloom.

Does this anger anybody else or am i on my own with this one?

If you feel that i am wrong for feeling like this then just say so, i want to have a healthy discussion on this topic and not have it degenerate into a rant/insult fest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It does look ugly there now. The trees added character to the road, and a bit of colour from spring to Autumn.

It has all the appearance of a rushed job, and was not even done by a local company as the LCC outsourced the job to a company from Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

I haven't been up there in a while. Any chance of some pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

i wonder has this anything to do with the lady getting killed by a falling branch up along there?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

These trees regularly get the chop, they are growing underneath ESB cables and are cut back every 2nd or 3rd year, also, as mentioned above the recent tradegy may have some input to the decision to cut them back at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i agree, it was a total knee jerk reaction, but i was watching a program there about three weeks ago about people that use personal injury lawyers in the UK, and one woman was suing the local council because a tree branch had fallen on her in the park. my guess is that LCC want to avoid the possibility of THIS type of incident occuring- they dont want to be sued!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

There going to be squeezing in another pointless Bus lane in there so there going to have to cut the trees at some stage...a disgrace what they have done ruined a scenic route which should have been treasured..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

is it not the law that one cannot cut down growing trees after march the 17th,
    oh yeah if the people that cut them down issues a cert that they are a danger or rotting then down they come,
    if they are from mallow i have seen their handiwork before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

foinse wrote: »
    Hi all,

First off i'm going to say that i'm probably going to get some flak because of this thread, but i believe the topic warrants discussion.

The trees i'm referring to in the thread title are on O'Connell Avenue, has anyone seen what has been done to every single tree along O'Connell Avenue? They have all been cut back to their trunks, it looks terrible and is probably not great for the beautiful mature trees that were there.

Lets look at what made the LCC decide to destroy 20-30 trees, which made O'Connell Avenue such a nice place. There was a fatal accident, which was the product of 3 very specific events, 1, road works, which closed the regular traffic lanes forcing vehicles to drive in parking spaces along the sides of the road. 2, A truck just happened to be driving by on this day and was forced to drive close to the path and hence the trees, and 3 a lady was walking by, What ensued was a horrific accident and i have nothing but sympathy and sorrow for the family of those involved. I include the Truck driver and his family because he and they will have to live with this too.

What are the chances of these specific series of events re-occurring? I would say very slim, to almost non existent.
    Does this anger anybody else or am i on my own with this one?

Probably very little chance of that happening again, but that doesnt matter, if there are trees creating a hazard where trucks can smash off them it is a danger to the driver and the pedestrian.
    Can you imagine what the reaction would be if something like that happened again.
    I know if I was in charge I wouldnt want that hanging over me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

The thing is the road works are finished now, so there is nothing driving in the parking spaces, so no chance of something as large as a truck hitting one of those trees again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Just walked along Mallow street after reading this earlier and I must say, the trees are coming almost half way out into the street so they would want to get there act together and get that sorted 2 and countless others places 2 Im sure..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

yea why should they destroy the lovely view just because someone died. they obviously have their priorities messed up:rolleyes:

you know the sad thing is if the council did nothing in response then all of you would be here slating that.

grow up people and have i bit of respect for the poor old lady and her family.

yes there was only a slim chance someone could be hurt by the over hanging branches but
    someone died

its not about law suits its about common sense

Icky Thump wrote: »
    yea why should they destroy the lovely view just because someone died. they obviously have their priorities messed up:rolleyes:

you know the sad thing is if the council did nothing in response then all of you would be here slating that.

yes there was only a slim chance someone could be hurt by the over hanging branches but
    someone died

Oh no there was a freak accident involving a tree, lets cut every tree in the country down, so it can never happen again!!!

Accidents happen, deaths happen it's horrible and it's something that no family should have to deal with but it happens, knee jerk reactions like this is not going to solve anything. Cutting down every tree and wrapping people in bubble wrap will not stop accidents from happening and people dying. It's still going to happen.

If someone drowns would you want to drain the river?

If someone fell off a cliff would you want it destroyed?

Why cut down all the trees because of 1 freak accident?

the trees where hanging over the road which meant they where a hazard. it could have as easily happened again. as i said if nothing was done youd be on here bitching about that too.

who gives a crap about a couple of trees. after all one of those trees was a murderer:D

i am all into the save the world green planet brigade but this is a non issue. thi sis something that had to happen and you are being very very disrespectful with your comments so please if your replying try to think how youd feel if that old lady was your mom or grandmother.

the trees being cut back is the only solution. i dont remember you mentioning them being cut down??? when a tree is cut back the tree is still alive. it just stops the tree from growing out in that direction.............

someone died

Given that there are plans for a bus lane right beside where the trees were cut back, I imagine the LCC priorities were not based upon the woman who died.

I'm sure the stretch of road from the flyover bridge down to the Model school will be much safer when it has a bus lane there to force the car lanes even closer together.:rolleyes:

steveon wrote: »
    Just walked along Mallow street after reading this earlier and I must say, the trees are coming almost half way out into the street so they would want to get there act together and get that sorted 2 and countless others places 2 Im sure..

Ah but there are no plans drawn up for a bus lane on Mallow street, so those trees most be safe.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Given that there are plans for a bus lane right beside where the trees were cut back, I imagine the LCC priorities were not based upon the woman who died.

I'm sure the stretch of road from the flyover bridge down to the Model school will be much safer when it has a bus lane there to force the car lanes even closer together.:rolleyes:

all im saying is its pathetic from posters here to actually critisise trees being cut back and have no regard for the fact that someone has died.

all i ask is for a little respect

all im saying is its pathetic from posters here to actually critisise trees being cut back and have no regard for the fact that someone has died.

all i ask is for a little respect

There was a thread about the terrible accident involving that woman, and from what I remember everyone was respectful. You seem to be the only one who wants to make the OP's post into being about that woman only.

There are plans for a bus lane along where those trees were cut, and cutting the trees were part of the bus lane plans. The Bus Lane has been strongly objected to by residents and councillors alike, with parking and safety being the two main issues.

My opinion is that the trees have been cut back with regards to trying to get the lane pushed through quickly, hence my rushed job comment earlier.

But if you want to continue on saying that people should not criticize the cutting of the trees on the basis that somebodty was killed on the same stretch, be my guest. By doing so I will take it that you are claiming that the trees were cut back because of the woman's fatal accident and not because of the Bus lane that has been planned for over two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    I haven't been up there in a while. Any chance of some pics?

Juglans_nigra_winter_twig.jpg

To be absolutely honest the above isn't too far off :(

- The chosen response taken and extreme lengths to which they went to were so ridiculous and utterly unnecessary.

Logic would dictate that if the Trees are currently in their rightful State now that they have been butchered to mere trunks then it follows that the previous state was wilful neglect and a danger to the Public through a lack of proper maintenance.

That Woman's Family may well be entitled to sue them for millions..... One Saturdays Street Parking revenue should do it :rolleyes:

i just think its a disgrace that someone is actually giving out about the scenic part of this and not actually thinking "you know what, brilliant at least it wont happen again"

that being said yea the bus lanes have been planned for awhile now.

but why has this only happened now??

maybe Phog's answer that most ignored could help -
    " These trees regularly get the chop, they are growing underneath ESB cables and are cut back every 2nd or 3rd year, also, as mentioned above the recent tradegy may have some input to the decision to cut them back
    at this time. "

instead of argueing with each other because im sure youll agree its pointless us coming back at each other with half facts, would you consider that maybe just maybe..............
    the trees where cut back because of an impending bus lane which would mean that buses would be driving in the same position that the truck was at the time which means that this accident could happen again if the trees where not cut back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

By that logic then all of the Walls along our roads should be bulldozed and replaced by Polystyrene ones in case one should ever fall and kill Someone.

• Advertisement

Raiser wrote: »
    By that logic then all of the Walls along our roads should be bulldozed and replaced by Polystyrene ones in case one should ever fall and kill Someone.
    no but how about a bit of common sense???

if a bus lane is going in there and the buses will be driving on the same part of the road as the truck that day. is there not a chance this could happen again???

aparantly we are saying it only happened on this off chance the truck was driving at that side of the road. but buses soon will be????

use some cop on. you know im right. im not looking for a medal or you 6to declare me supreme leader but just stop trying to fight an arguement when you cant win

no but how about a bit of common sense???

if a bus lane is going in there and the buses will be driving on the same part of the road as the truck that day. is there not a chance this could happen again???

aparantly we are saying it only happened on this off chance the truck was driving at that side of the road. but buses soon will be????

use some cop on. you know im right. im not looking for a medal or you 6to declare me supreme leader but just stop trying to fight an arguement when you cant win

They have been touting that bus lane for years, and the residents and city council are against it, it's not going to happen and if it does then it won't be for another few years. So i don't believe that those trees have been cut in anticipation of a bus lane and god forgive me for saying this, but i agree with Raiser, by your posts, it would appear you believe we should destroy everything that has ever caused a death.

foinse wrote: »
    They have been touting that bus lane for years, and the residents and city council are against it, it's not going to happen and if it does then it won't be for another few years. So i don't believe that those trees have been cut in anticipation of a bus lane and god forgive me for saying this, but i agree with Raiser, by your posts, it would appear you believe we should destroy everything that has ever caused a death.

The last meeting against it by the resident associations of Ballinacurra and O'Connell Avenue was last month, and the last LCC meeting with regards to the new planning permission was three weeks ago. If it goes through it will be before the end of this year.

Advertisement