Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sleepers attach to rendered wall?

• 24-05-2010 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I have to create a wall with 3 sleepers stacked side on side =24inches high (sleepers are 8ftx8inchx4inch). I have to attatch one end of these to a rendered block wall...(AT AN ANGLE),see pics.
    I still have no idea how to do it yet.
    When finished there will be nothing on one side of my new wall but limestone chips up to the top on the other side. So has to be strong. The sleeper wall will be 7ft long.
    All thoughts on above welcome!
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

well you could drill a hole in the sleeper and fit a dowel bar which you can put in the wall. put posts intot he ground so you will not have to go near the wall and mount the sleepers to the posts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

would this mean that you ill have to chanfer the ends of the sleepers to suit the angle?. if so you could come in about 3 inches from the chanfer, drill trough the sleeper and into the wall and hammer in some long express anchors.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭funkydunkey

Hi All,
    I have to create a wall with 3 sleepers stacked side on side =24inches high (sleepers are 8ftx8inchx4inch). I have to attatch one end of these to a rendered block wall...(AT AN ANGLE),see pics.
    I still have no idea how to do it yet.
    When finished there will be nothing on one side of my new wall but limestone chips up to the top on the other side. So has to be strong. The sleeper wall will be 7ft long.
    All thoughts on above welcome!
    Thanks in advance.

I have just finished a similar job. I would not tie into the wall if possible. I drilled 2no. holes in the bottom of each sleeper to take a rebar (450mm) that i had driven into the ground. i did the same to each layer of sleepers as i stacked them. putting a hole on each end. matching a hole in the sleeper below and a short piece of rebar as a dowel. worked fine and really bound them together. i also used upright half-length sleepers mostly buried in the ground, placed them along the longest edge, made it really bombproof. You might look at doing this at the end of the wall in your case, if you have the space. Be sure to leave gaps between the sleepers where necessary for drainage. Its just my take on it really but it would allow you just butt them up against the wall without any cutting if you like. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would chip the render off the wall to the height of the sleepers 24"
    Get a piece of Galvanised Angle 75mm or 100mm legs and rawlbolt that to the wall.
    Make the sleepers up and they can rest against the angle so they won't collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Hi lads , you might want to see how I'm getting on ..or not! go to .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055289079&page=2

thanks for all comments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement