Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old School Thrash Metal

Options
  • 24-05-2010 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Anyone here a fan of old school Thrash, and not just the likes of early Metallica and Slayer, but Sacred Reich, Vio-Lence and Hallow's Eve

Being a big Machine Head fan, I got into Vio-Lence through Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel, but Sacred Reich once featured Dave McClain and it was just a coincidence this was the case - I found out about them from a T-Shirt I once saw former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted wearing!

Anyone else into them or any "obscure" Thrash bands?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Don't forget British Thrash metal

Also some old American Thrash

Great bands, and seen most of them live years ago. Not that I find any of these bands "Obscure". And saying Sacred Reich is an obscure thrash band is a bit weird for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

You gotta be getting Suicidal Tendencies into ya ....

Actually the only real obscure thrash metal band i can find nothing about is a band from the early 90's called Ignorant Rat. I can not find one piece of info about them on the net. Anyone ever heard of these lads. I only had a tape of one of their albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Old school thrash? Love it. Thrash is my favourite type of metal. I'm 34, and been listening to metal since I was a teenager. But it's only recently that I've been seeking out the more "obscure" stuff, like Vio-lence (just recently got a nice rerelease copy of Eternal Nightmare), Xentrix, Overkill (now one of my all time favourite thrash bands). There are some real gems to be found out there. I like pretty much all of the main old school thrash bands to be honest, and have been lucky enough to see most of 'em live too.

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    Old school thrash? Love it. Thrash is my favourite type of metal. I'm 34, and been listening to metal since I was a teenager. But it's only recently that I've been seeking out the more "obscure" stuff, like Vio-lence (just recently got a nice rerelease copy of Eternal Nightmare), Xentrix, Overkill (now one of my all time favourite thrash bands). There are some real gems to be found out there. I like pretty much all of the main old school thrash bands to be honest, and have been lucky enough to see most of 'em live too.

I could never really get into Vio-lence. I think I remember a video and the singer looked like Zod from superman.

A few other obscure maybe thrashish bands would be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

bubonicus wrote: »
    I could never really get into Vio-lence. I think I remember a video and the singer looked like Zod from superman.

A few other obscure maybe thrashish bands would be

are they not doom bands?

Yeah Overkill are unreal thrash, would probably prefer them to any of the big 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Absolutely love Old School Thrash and it's great to see it's resurgence.

Annihilator, Death Angel, Exodus, Flotsam & Jetsam, The Haunted, In Flames, Kreator, Mantic Ritual, Overkill, Pollution, Sabbat, Sacred Reich, Savage Messiah, Forbidden, Evile etc. plus the so called "big four".

I always reckoned that Testament and Overkill where more worthy or that 4th slot than Anthrax.

Wouldn't it be great for a touring festival of Old School Thrash bands to start up; say the "big four" plus a number of the above mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I always reckoned that Testament and Overkill where more worthy or that 4th slot than Anthrax.

Or Exodus or Nuclear Assault

I think of Anthrax more as a crossover band then a Thrash band, I've always found it hard to label them alongside classic Slayer, Metallica and Megadeth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Don't forget this mentalness!:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEWLbgqCkUk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

just get to Dark Angel and Forbidden - there's so many.......there's a fair few new thrash inspired bands, like Tsunami, Corporation 187....

and don't leave Tankard out of it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Death Angel:

I don't listen to metal a whole lot, but Death Angel are unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Dont forget Evile!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

anyone else like Gama Bomb?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

DrumSteve wrote: »
    anyone else like Gama Bomb?

saw em opening for Gang Green must be 5yr ago now - they were good on the night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

If you are looking for some slightly more obscure Thrash bands :-

Gothic Slam
    Zno'white
    Wehrmacht
    Suicidal Angels
    Mordred
    Incubus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Here's a couple

Intruder are incredibly underrated. Two great albums in 'A Higher Form of Killing' and 'Psycho Savant'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Rigor Mortis - Rigor Mortis
    Forced Entry - As Above, So Below
    Xentrix - Shattered Existence

Realm - Endless War ... used to have this album , I think me and my mate were the only ones to buy copies off Tommy in the Sound Cellar !! Includes a cover of The Beatles : Elenor Rigby

Voivod - Missing Sequence (from the album Nothingface) ... these are prog/psychadelic/thrash - they wear their Rush / Floyd influences on their sleeves ... underated band - big time .

Coroner - DOA ... the only thing good to come out of Switzerland ...

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

NIBBS wrote: »

Gothic Slam
    Zno'white
    Wehrmacht
    Suicidal Angels
    Mordred
    Incubus

gothic slam great band face in the crowd album is brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

RayCon wrote: »
    Coroner - DOA ... the only thing good to come out of Switzerland ...

Shame on me for forgetting the mighty Coroner. A brilliant band!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

NIBBS wrote: »

Gothic Slam
    Zno'white
    Wehrmacht
    Suicidal Angels
    Mordred
    Incubus

say it aint so :D

Advertisement