Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 1 help.

Options
  • 24-05-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I just finished a comprehension question part One and two from the exam questions. It was on text 2 on the theme of ' personal decisions '
    thing is I spent 37 minutes on this alone. Obviously I'm doing something very wrong.
    I wrote alot on both part A's: A4 page each. Is this too much? I'm starting to think it is. I wrote about 3 points in part 1 and 2 in part 2.
    How much time fo you guys spend on the part A's? Also I always find it hard to decide on how to begin answering the question and on how to end it conclusively. Anyone know any useful phrases one can use?

I really need help because time management is always an issue for me!!b

EdIT: I just read that in the exam papers that you should spend 55 minutes on part A. Obviously my teacher is crazy; she told us to spend 40 minutes. Was two parts finished in 37 minutes good then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

What do you mean you did two part As? You're only supposed to do one on Paper One - that's what you're meant to spend 50 minutes on. A part A from one text and a part B from another.

Do you mean part (i) and (ii) etc of Part A?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

Yeah I did an A question just the part (I) and (ii) like just from the one question.

Is 37 minutes good for getting those done? And if not any pointers on what to do? Am I writing too much? (a4 page each)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

That seems like a lot, I usually write around 3 quarters of a page for each and then a full page for the last part. You're taking too long unless you can do an essay pretty quickly. I like to personally spend less time on Section B and the Composition to leave more time for the Section A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I love the comprehensions. If the Q is "identify the features of short story writing (forget the actual word :)).

A. There are many features of good (X) in this piece of writing, such as....

For the conclusion just say the same thing but mix up the language for the features of writing you mentioned.

It gets me full marks most of the time.

zam wrote: »
    That seems like a lot, I usually write around 3 quarters of a page for each and then a full page for the last part. You're taking too long unless you can do an essay pretty quickly. I like to personally spend less time on Section B and the Composition to leave more time for the Section A

I'm a quick writer just not a quick thinker. Would you guys reckon 55 minutes is too long for the part As?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

fufureida wrote: »
    I'm a quick writer just not a quick thinker. Would you guys reckon 55 minutes is too long for the part As?
    Seems like a lot of time; my teacher recommended spending half the time on the essay, and then split the remaining time between part A and B. That gives you about thirty five minutes for each -leaving you five minutes to read the paper at the start and another five to read over your work at the end.

Hmmm I find that I'm always rushing the essay at the end.... I'll try doing 3/4 page answers for the part As and see if I can get them done quickly. 35 minutes is a bit too quick for all parts. I'll try Cutting off 10 minutes from section A answers. Hopefully 45 minutes for part A and 30 minutes for B will be ok.

Would you guys reccomend doing the essay first or the comprehensions???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I checked it in my revision book, they advise 35 minutes as well. It really doesn't make sense to spend 45 minutes on a 50 mark question and then having to rush the 100 mark one.

I'd say do the comprehensions first. That way you'll be getting into the swing of writing, picking up bits of vocabulary and phrases from the text and you might get a brilliant idea along the way.

Lawliet wrote: »
    I checked it in my revision book, they advise 35 minutes as well. It really doesn't make sense to spend 45 minutes on a 50 mark question and then having to rush the 100 mark one.

I'd say do the comprehensions first. That way you'll be getting into the swing of writing, picking up bits of vocabulary and phrases from the text and you might get a brilliant idea along the way.

I seriously don't know how to do it 30 ****ibg 5 minutes...:( help!!!!!!

Advertisement