Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home help/ elder care wanted

Options
  • 24-05-2010 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi, can anyone tell me where I should go to find a live in help for an elderly (quite able) person. I'm hoping to get someone to live in, (mod house own bathroom) and wonder what the going rate is.

I'm presuming because of the accommodation provided it would not be so expensive. If anyone has any ideas of how to find a suitable person/ advertise I'd appreciate it.

Alternatively we could use someone to come in a few times a week to do a bit of house work, shopping etc. but I don't really know what to expect to be charged for either of these services.

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Hi Gagsy, where are you based? My mam works for the Health Board doing this, and assisting with washing, dressing, meds etc, and has a couple of private patients herself. She may be able to recommend somebody who could come in a couple of days a week and assist? I know she has taken a formal qualification in assisting elderly people and many of her colleagues have done so also.

If i'm correct, i believe there is a grant form the HSE to allow people to access these services and pay for the help to enable them to stay in their homes. Will ask for you if you like? Contacting the local Health Board could be a way forward as they are the contact point for these sort of services.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Gagsy

Hi Flossie thanks a million for getting back to me....I'm trying to make plans for about a month or so ahead (my mum due to have surgery, the outcome will decide the plans) but I'm hoping that she could live in a new house I bought in Tullow, with either a live in carer or someone who would come in a few times a week.

I don't think she would be quite ready for the full nursing home experience and to be brutally honest it is unbelievably expensive and we would need to get her house in Dublin (worth about half of what it was 2 years ago) sold, (if we're lucky)....Long story short I'd like to see her living in a decent house (mine) with a bit of independence for as long as possible until we can help get things in order for her...

I would really appreciate any advice, information etc as I have never been in this situation before...not sure if I am allowed give you my email address here....a bit less public....thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Gagsy wrote: »
    Hi Flossie thanks a million for getting back to me....I'm trying to make plans for about a month or so ahead (my mum due to have surgery, the outcome will decide the plans) but I'm hoping that she could live in a new house I bought in Tullow, with either a live in carer or someone who would come in a few times a week.

I don't think she would be quite ready for the full nursing home experience and to be brutally honest it is unbelievably expensive and we would need to get her house in Dublin (worth about half of what it was 2 years ago) sold, (if we're lucky)....Long story short I'd like to see her living in a decent house (mine) with a bit of independence for as long as possible until we can help get things in order for her...

I would really appreciate any advice, information etc as I have never been in this situation before...not sure if I am allowed give you my email address here....a bit less public....thanks again

Have you tried Oak Tree Home Care? I don't think they do the live-in option more home help kind of service.

www.oaktreehomecare.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

.not sure if I am allowed give you my email address here....a bit less public....thanks again

if you click on the username you'll see how to send a private message

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Hi Gagsy, i forgot to mention that it's not a care home she works in, it's out in the Community......people are in their homes (or with families) and her role is to go out and administer required care, both long term and temporary, in that location.

Sorry for not mentioning that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement