Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead TV adaptation coming October 2010.

Options
  • 24-05-2010 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1520211/

If you've not read the comic book series, The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman, get to it now, because it's one of the greatest pieces of zombie fiction out there, and come October it's being given the small screen overhaul with none other than Frank Darabont.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Oooh very exciting. Wonder what budget it will have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Tusky wrote: »
    Oooh very exciting. Wonder what budget it will have.

With Darabont at the helm I have very high expectations of this and I am hoping that they will allow a generous budget!.. October won't come quick enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Love the comics, could be fantastic if handled properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I would say it could be a good budget.

Sure they have a competition to become an extra on the film....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've started reading the comics, and I'm really looking forward to this.

Check out this gallery of the zombie make-up:

http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleries/the-walking-dead-zombie-photo-gallery/zombie-gallery-1.php

Looks great.

• Advertisement

The best news I've heard regarding the series since I first heard about it came today when Michael Rooker was confirmed as a cast member.

From dreadcentral:
    3Share

Michael Rooker Joining AMC's The Walking DeadOne genre staple whom we'd love to see obtain some mainstream success is Michael Rooker, and based on the news he recently posted from his Twitter account, it looks like he could be headed in that direction.

According to @Michael_Rooker on Twitter the actor is "on my way to Atlanta soon to work with my new best friend Frank Darabont on 'The Walking Dead'". And the stellar casting choices keep coming!

UPDATE: DC has confirmed Rooker's involvement in the project, and he will be playing a character named Merle. We don't recall anyone named Merle in Kirkman's opus so this may be the first original character to join the fray. Refresh our memories if we're wrong below.

The Walking Dead is based on Robert Kirkman's popular comic series. It chronicles the months and years following a zombie apocalypse. Frank Darabont is the project's writer, director, and exec producer with Anne Hurd and David Alpert also exec producing. KNB will be handling the effects, and Jon Bernthal, Jeffrey DeMunn, Sarah Wayne Callies, Laurie Holden, Steven Yeun, and Andrew Lincoln are all set to star.

If you haven't begun reading this tale yet, click below, order, and get started like yesterday. You'll be thanking us later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

A clip of Darabont's "Zombie School" here, love how finicky that guy is!

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEKdkRLKMQEJOT

Prompted by this thread I've read the entire 72 issues non stop...and I didn't realise it was still an ongoing series...aw man!! :D

Really hooked on this though, doubly excited for the TV adap now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Beat me to it! Trailer fills me with even more confidence that Darabont gets it, as he always does when adapting the work of others, especially holy grails such as this! Cannot wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

love the idea of it. The graphic novel art work started of great and then changed hands to a different artist and became so bad i couldn't read it any more, dire.

I think ill avoid the trailer. I saw it was up on IMDB yesterday. I dont want to give myself expectations, just enjoy it for what it is when it comes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Watched episode one on FX last night.Pretty impressed thus far.Not a whole lot happened but what did happen was nice.The effects/zombie make-up looks top notch.One minor gripe is that there appeared to be CGI used for a few of the head shot kills,not a fan.Im very much looking forward to episode 2.

How many episodes are there in total?

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Watched episode one on FX last night.Pretty impressed thus far.Not a whole lot happened but what did happen was nice.The effects/zombie make-up looks top notch.One minor gripe is that there appeared to be CGI used for a few of the head shot kills,not a fan.Im very much looking forward to episode 2.

How many episodes are there in total?

Six episodes for this season but the plan is fir subsequent seasons to have thirteen.

Agree on the CGI but unfortunately it works in the favour of time and budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I watched the first episode twice just to iron out any niggles I had with the first viewing.

They did take a few liberties in regards veering away from the source material
    (I'm pretty sure the tank wasn't in the comic!)
    but other than that it set the mood perfectly.

I would've liked them to include the bit where
    he actually opens the "Dead inside" door to be chased and then fall down the stairwell.
    But that scene did add some tension to the episode.

Also what's with the dialogue at the start? Why did they have to set it up that Shane was a complete mysogynist? I mean I know he's the "bad" guy
    (hooking up with Ricks wife)
    but c'mon. That was farfetched!

The special effects\makeup were excellent and yeah a few of the CGI headshots did look cartooney but they didn't annoy me too much!

I'll see how they get on with further episodes.

chin_grin wrote: »

Also what's with the dialogue at the start? Why did they have to set it up that Shane was a complete mysogynist? I mean I know he's the "bad" guy
    (hooking up with Ricks wife)
    but c'mon. That was farfetched!

To be honest I had a problem with the comics and accepting Shane's actions. I felt that
    his death came a little too strongly at the beginning
    so any additions to make it more fluid within the story I'd welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Coolio,I thought it was just going to be a once off mini series a la V.

Well I have to say im lovin it. I think its the zombie fan`s ` band of brothers `. TV with movie like qualities....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

i just watched the 3rd episode and so far its still f - lethal :P real happy that the quality is maintained in the episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 razet93

From last week, I have started watching The walking Dead show. It is really fantastic series....

• Advertisement

Just as he did with The Mist, Darabont is taking extreme liberties with the story and they are all for the better. As much as The Walking Dead is a great series, Kirkman isn't a patch on Darabont when it comes to knowing how a story should play out. I get the feeling that the changes Darabont has made were greeted with a "Why the hell didn't I think of that?!?!?!" from Kirkman, same as King with The Mist. The change I welcome the most is
    Shane claiming that Rick was dead for sure, makes Lori a far more sympathetic character and ultimately will make her death the more tragic
    I don't think Kirkman handled this right in the comics at all.

Dam im sorry I read that spoiler, I forgot people were ahead with the comics. Litrature it just ruins motion pictures...... Still Epp 3 was fantactic even if it lacked a lot of Zombie action, some very good story stuff in there.... Next epp will be intreasting.

Dam im sorry I read that spoiler, I forgot people were ahead with the comics. Litrature it just ruins motion pictures...... Still Epp 3 was fantactic even if it lacked a lot of Zombie action, some very good story stuff in there.... Next epp will be intreasting.

Sorry about that Spooky, if it's any consolation there's a likelihood that Darabont won't go with it judging by all the swapping and changing he has been doing so far, he has entirely changed that character now.

Just think it may be necessary to say this though:

Remember people, some here have read the comics and are aware of spoilers well into the series, careful what spoilers you get curious over! :D

yeah its cool man its my own fault really as I had forgotten it was a comic even though I do know a few who have read it it had just sliped my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

would it be completly inappropriate to post this here?

just had a pure stroke of genius and i thought i had better share it with the world.

This in my mind is the epicness of epicness!!!!!!!!

right imagine this. the next walking dead. barricades up all over the place, all the people have guns and the zombies are approaching arms outstretched (as zombies are wont to do, very reminiscient of hugs really), as they hit the barricades this song starts playing and it hits slow motion as everyone pops up blowing the ****e out of the zombies.

you can see it now in your head as if you have already seen it on the show, the people shouting at each other, shot after shot slowly hitting the zombies, the zombies collapsing in convulsing heaps on the ground as the bullets strike home.

Just think about it anyway. This is my genius moment!!!!!!!

*delete if necessary

Michael...get some sleep! :D

you should make your own zombie movie...... a budding director here I suspect :)

Well I just read this little tit bit on line. Not sure how accurate it is but I thought I would share anwyays.....
    Dont blame me for its accuracy.

... The Walking Dead is one of TV's hottest new hits, so why shouldn't the show fire its entire writing staff? Rumor has it that producer Frank Darabont has let go of every last scribe and will take a shot at hiring freelancers next year instead. This isn't completely unusual, but it certainly isn't typical. Darabont himself was credited with writing the first two episodes of the series, and co-wrote or re-wrote the other four. Don't get too scared yet. [Deadline Hollywood]

also another small bit of intrest. My son is a big fan of killing zombies, well who wasent at 12. Anyway he plays lots of zombie killing games. Last night he was playing left 4 dead 2 witch for me is basically the dead walking the game as it follows all the same rules and themes. Anyway the company that made the game had a customer survery on the game last night for my son to fill out. It asked did you watch the walking dead tv show. Perhaps they are planing some tie on or some sponsership deal to promote there new game. Just found it intresting that they asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

i'm the same!!!...lesson learned .

only on episode 5

Advertisement