Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What category of roads Im I allowed to cycle on?

• 24-05-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

Im usuallly over on the running forum but Im injured at the moment so Im on the racing bike for a few weeks to keep the heart and lungs ticking over.
    The weather was so good yesterday that I decided to go for a long spin on the bike.........well my idea of a long spin anyway, I realise Im a lite weight compared to most of you guys. Anyway I left Tallaght and headed for Brittas bay. I checked AA route planner and it said 72km, so a round trip of 144km. That 72km actually turned out to be more like 90km(not 100% sure, the garmin died at 65km and I still wasnt close to where I was going). But what happened was I got so far on the regular roads that have cycle lanes and then I hit a point where I followed a slip road and ended up on the N11(I think I just beyond Bray at this point). And this brings me to my question. I followed this stretch of road until I got to a point where I hit blue signs for the motorway, so I got off, ended up on an N11 detour, but eventually got to where I was going(4hrs later). But all the time I was on the N11 I didnt see one other cyclist and also some cars beebed at me. I kept thinking, jaysus am I even allowed on this road? And thats it, was I right to be on the N11 or are bikes not allowed on this classification of road?
    Apologies if this is an obvious thing that every cyclist knows, like I said, Im more of a runner normally. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Check out http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055917805&highlight=motorway

You can cycle on all N roads it just happens that the N11 changes to the M11 for a while.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You can cycle on everything except M-roads. In otherwords, you're pefectly entitled to be on the N11. Lots of Dublin cycling clubs use it regularly on training spins, so you're far from the only cyclist to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Great stuff, thanks lads. Looks like Im entitled to be on the N roads alright but to be honest it was a very stressful ride. As one guy said on that link, trucks bombing by you at 100km/hr is pretty unsettling. Think I'll look for an alternate route next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tunguska wrote: »
    Great stuff, thanks lads. Looks like Im entitled to be on the N roads alright but to be honest it was a very stressful ride. As one guy said on that link, trucks bombing by you at 100km/hr is pretty unsettling. Think I'll look for an alternate route next time.

nah their great pulls you along esp. when your going into a headwind :D

or am i just odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

nah their great pulls you along esp. when your going into a headwind :D

or am i just odd
    Technically that is true; the fastest UK TT times are generally set on busy A roads due to this effect. Not very pleasant though IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 turtlesdove3

el tonto wrote: »
    You can cycle on everything except M-roads. In otherwords, you're pefectly entitled to be on the N11. Lots of Dublin cycling clubs use it regularly on training spins, so you're far from the only cyclist to use it.

Why not M-roads? Just eager to know since I'm not from there. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Why not M-roads? Just eager to know since I'm not from there. Thanks

M-roads are motorways. Slow moving vehicles are not allowed on them, including bicycles.

Worth noting that there are some places (e.g. Some tunnels, jack lynch comes to mind) that you're not allowed through on a bike even though they're not M roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Dónal wrote: »
    Worth noting that there are some places (e.g. Some tunnels, jack lynch comes to mind) that you're not allowed through on a bike even though they're not M roads.
    AFAIK the Jack Lynch tunnel is a special case in that regard, I am not sure there is another road in the country in that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Does that mean we can cycle down the port tunnel? Or is it a motorway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

No cyclists (or pedestrians or L-drivers) are allowed in the Dublin Port Tunnel.
    It is part of the M50 motorway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

As above the Port Tunnel is motorway, it's classified as part of the M50. I'm sure they want their crazy, unsightly idea of an eastern bypass to be the same. :rolleyes:

The Jack Lynch tunnel is a special case because there is something apparently stopping cyclists from using it when it is a N-road and dual carriageway leads up to both ends. There is mention of a bylaw, but it's not available at http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ (which is sometimes not a complete record anyway).

Advertisement