Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XLc Project may have to close in September... Please Help!!

• 24-05-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi All,

The XLc Project has been running for the past 12 years, with very little funding the project has just about managed to stay afloat with thanks to volunteers who have been giving their time.

The minimal funding is due to run out this year leaving the school to run on nothing and therefore close.

This school has put over 1,000 students through the leaving and junior cert and has become an essential part of education in Waterford and beyond.

To try and save the school the students have recorded a song which was released as a digital only single last friday.

It's called "The XLc Song" with it we're hoping to get into the Irish charts and raise national awareness about the school and hopefully secure some funding.

We can't do this without you!!!!

Please help us by spending just 1 euro.

The song is on I-Tunes (just search for xlc song in the i-tunes search)

Or you can download it from your mobile phone by texting

Music 5832 to 57501

You will then recieve a text directing you to www.downloadmusic.ie and a pin number. You need to log in to the site using your mobile number and the pin they give you and download the track.

To get the song into the charts it MUST be downloaded.

Please don't just dismiss this and leave it up to others, it has to be you!!

This is a great cause, and the song's great too :D

If you want more info about the school and hear a rough mix of the song then click the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCeoyHaoCtc

Thank you so much for helping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Qheratatie

Jesus That's terrible!!

My friend went to da manor and she loved going to school!! I didnt know ye had no money. I'll buy that song and I'll tell everyone I know to get it. I hope ye get the money ye need and don't have to close

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

What is the XLc project?

Why is it not supported by Government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Yes Boss wrote: »
    What is the XLc project?

Why is it not supported by Government?
    Because they're too busy pumping that money into a dead bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭clyhh

The XLc Project is a school on manor street. It's not being funded because the department don't want to duplicate programs for early school leavers....

However, in the last 12 years, 3 of the departments early school leaver programs have failed miserably and shut down, while The XLc project went from strength to strength with barely any money, and lots of spirit.

It's an alternative school for people who don't get on in the normal school system, from kids who are bullied, to kids who are expelled or adults who left school early to take on a trade and now want to return to school and get their leaving cert.

It's doing valuable work and there's so much goodwill towards it, but noone will put their money where their mouth is and actually help the school to stay afloat, and help the teachers have some kind of an income!!

There's so much more about this school. But I hope that answered your question.

It's also on I-Tunes if that's your preference

• Advertisement

Did anyone hear the interview with the school on Deise Am this morning?
    They played the song as well, it sounded great!!

What did ye think?

Sounds like a worthy cause alright!

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Sounds like a worthy cause alright!

It is a worthy cause :)

My worry is, people are reading this, or listening to the radio interviews and thinking.....

Yeah that's great and all.... But they're leaving the buying of the single to others.

People don't realise we need them..... Everyone who reads this counts, or everyone who hears it on the radio... Or everyone who views us on you tube.

We REALLY need Waterford to get behind this, because this song and school belongs to Waterford!

At the moment we've enough sales to be in the Top 30, however, not everyone who bought it has downloaded it. So as it stands right now the song is barely scraping into the Top 75 which is worthless to our aim.

And it's mad because between the facebook group, you tube views and download.ie sales.... If all those members/views were downloads... We'd be well in the Top 5!!!

The interest is there, but people don't seem to want to spend the 1 euro :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lamph

For anyone who's wondering what that charity single sounds like... (and the video features students from the school too) I have uploaded the song to YouTube... Here it is...

The lyrics of the song are written about a typical teenager who comes to the XLc with low confidence, having experienced failure all throughout their school life... and the change it can make when someone believes in them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

How well do the students do in their leaving cert exams?

• Advertisement

Varies from student to student...
    The overall pass rate is very high.
    Between 85% and 95% from year to year.
    (Though we did have one disastrous year -2002- when the pass rate was embarassingly low :o:()

Each year there are a few students striving for high points.
    The best points anyone has achieved was the girl who got 555 in 2008.

We try and encourage the students to aim high, but don't force the issue. Ultimately it's up to them how hard they want to push...

Why do these kids not progress in another school? Are the numbers low in the XLc Project (equivalent to a private school)? You say some are bullied and some are expelled - they are opposite ends of a spectrum!! What is the difference in the XLc Project and WYTEC whom provide similar services?

Just to quickly address ur questions...

-We only take 3rd yr and 6th yr students. (i.e. the exam years)
    -We have 10 for JC this year.
    -We have 78 for LC this year.
    -We try to teach in small groups where possible. (but sometimes have to teach classes in excess of 25 students... due to lack of resources)
    -Yes... opposite ends of a spectrum, but the key is not to discriminate for or against anyone. Treat people as you find them. No condescension, kid gloves, or favouritism (in so much as it's possible to avoid these things, while still being human)
    -We have a zero tolerance with bullying. If it even smells of bullying, we stamp it out immediately -erring on the side of being overly sensitive to banter if needs be.
    -I don't know enough about WYTEC to be able to draw comparisons... but I do hear good things about it.

Advertisement