Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infrastructure for electric cars: a good or bad idea?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

bk wrote: »
    Then the only cost you have is the €5,000 extra over the price of an ICE car. As I mentioned, you have to drive just 80,000km to break even. After that you will thus be saving €600 per 7,000km at todays oil prices.

Not true - the Leaf is 25,595 - including about 10,000 in grants and VRT waivers so the price is misleadingly low- the note (rough equivalent 1.4l) is 17,595 so there's an 8k (or 18k when those incentives run out, they won't last forver) differential to be made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

antoobrien wrote: »
    So if I was to attempt, what was until recently a regular, 220km trip between Galway & Dublin (door to door a trip I do in less than 2h) the ecar would cost me an extra 1-1.5 hours of my time - assuming the fast charge points were available and I didn't have to queue.
    Lets assume you're earning €15 p.h. and drive 47mpg petrol car:

Galway - Dublin, 220km, 2hrs, petrol
    €30 time + €22 fuel = €52 total

Galway - Dublin, 220km, 3hrs, EV
    €45 time + €0 fuel = €45 total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

maninasia wrote: »
    Do people not stop to go for a piss and eat and drink something these days in Ireland?
    Surely they'll build motorway service stations like the REST OF THE WORLD someday . I should have a conversation with my son someday, 'Daddy, why aren't there any service stations on the motorway, I'm bursting!'
    I'd guess people can put up with 20-30 min stops when the fuel is almost free.

How much does it cost for a normal family of 5-6 to stop at motorway services for about 40 minutes when the cost of food and drinks is added up? this doesn't happen with normal cars when you can fill the tank and travel for hundreds more miles before a refuelling stop.

beazee wrote: »
    Lets assume you're earning €15 p.h. and drive 47mpg petrol car:

Galway - Dublin, 220km, 2hrs, petrol
    €30 time + €22 fuel = €52 total

Galway - Dublin, 220km, 3hrs, EV
    €45 time + €0 fuel = €45 total

My hourly rate works out at about €18 and you're not comparing using the right costs or times.

Calculated time @ 80km/h~3h (ev)
    Calculated time @ 120km/h~2h (ice)
    Extra time is to allow for traffic getting out of built up areas & lower speed limits than the target speeds.

Costs:
    ICE: time 36 (driving) + 0 (refuelling) + 26.4 (fuel)*=52.4
    EV: Time 54 (driving) + 9 (30 mins charging) + 2.57 (electricity)**=65.57

* Fuel cost is based on 12c/km, 18 months average fuel cost from fuelio app.
    ** Blog states that 400.9km cost €4.67

I wonder what would happen if the trip was driven at 120km/h, would it require two charges? It'd certainly raise the cost of the "free" fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

foggy_lad wrote: »
    How much does it cost for a normal family of 5-6 to stop at motorway services for about 40 minutes when the cost of food and drinks is added up? this doesn't happen with normal cars when you can fill the tank and travel for hundreds more miles before a refuelling stop.

It doesn't happen, so why do they have motorway service stations every 40 km where I live?
    People never stopped before in the midlands of Ireland?

I agree it's not ideal for some, but it's also not a big deal for many. As I stated earlier in this thread the next generation of EVs should comfortably make 200-300 km per charge and that will make a lot of difference.

• Advertisement

My hourly rate works out at about €18
    After tax? Take home should be taken into calculations.
    Calculated time @ 80km/h~3h (ev)
    Still don't know where did you take 80km/h from.
    95-100 km/h would be comfortable time- and rangewise.
    Which shortens driving time to 2.5hrs, 3hrs incl. charging

ICE: time 36 (driving) + 0 (refuelling) + 26.4 (fuel)*=52.4
    EV: Time 54 (driving+charging) =54

So far FCP (fast charge points) are free of charge. So no fuelling charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Any of the chargers i have seen at railway stations and bus stations etc require payment, How many of these fast charge points are currently available and where are they?

After tax? Take home should be taken into calculations.

Irrelevant - I earn the 18 and pay tax on it. It's an hour I could be spending earning another 18.
    Still don't know where did you take 80km/h from.

It's in the blog. I took the mid point between the 85 & 75 speeds the writer claimed.
    I always drive on the motorway in fifth gear keeping the revs at 20000 (20x), turns out this is between 80-85kph (about 50mph)
    Today I was a little tired heading to work so instead of the usual 85kph on the cruise control, I set it to 75kph and headed off.
    What made going slower quicker was that with the not having to stop and with keeping the steady pace I arrived in work 15-20 mins earlier than normal. So that was a nice surprise to start the new year, I wonder would it get better again if done in Eco mode?

I wasn't aware of that, but that only makes the last 60km free not the whole trip. If we want to go the whole way on FCPs that will take 2/3 on the road charges, which will increase the charge time to at least one hour. Leaving aside that this is bad for the battery, it's a non-saving.

EV driving 54 + 18 (charging for 1h) = 72

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

We've had our Leaf since April 2011. We're now at 41,000 kilometers on the clock. It's our only car, which my wife uses for her daily commuting and it's obviously the family car at the weekend. We've got 3 kids as well, no issue fitting in 3 kids, buggy etc. We're both extremely happy with the car, no regrets, no battery degradation yet. We just really love our Leaf and not having to fill up on expensive petrol or diesel.

We're based in the Dublin area and have used the Leaf on slightly longer journeys to Cork, Galway and Northern Ireland. The Cork trip was a weekend away with the whole family and the hotel we stayed in had a charging point at the entrance, which they reserved for us. The FCP in Cashel is great for kids as it has toilets, seating area, indoor play area, hot food and drink etc. There was no drama stopping there for a charge.

231601.jpg

The car itself is really nice to drive, has decent power (110bhp) and is very well equipped:

http://www.euroncap.com/results/nissan/leaf/2012/432.aspx
    7" touch screen computer for controlling everything from sat-nav to bluetooth and multimedia.
    Telematics service built-in and free of charge. Can update itself online and even do neat stuff like read RSS feeds to you.
    ESP and ABS are standard
    Reversing camera is linked to 7" touch screen, put her in reverse and you have reverse camera with guide lines.
    Everything from mirrors to windows and folding mirrors are electric.
    Seats are extremely comfy and are well made (another leaf owner told me his son puked up in the car and it left no stain nor did fluids sink in - water repellent).
    Wipers and and lights are all automatic and controlled by light/rain sensor
    All lights that can legally be LED are LED and front light are auto levelling
    Rear glass is tinted
    Full automatic climate control
    keyless entry and push start button
    The cars bluetooth can pair with several different phones for calling or multimedia.
    Climate and charging can be controlled remotely from PC or Android/iPhone
    Electric parking brake
    Cruise control and speed limiter

My favourite feature is the remotely activated climate control
    Just thought some people mind find this interesting. The climate control in my Nissan Leaf comes on via a schedule or using the Leaf app on my smart phone. This morning I turned it on via the smartphone app and took a picture of the car. About 20 minutes later I took another picture. I was just curious would preheating shift the snow!

237416.jpg

237417.jpg

It would have been nice to take the Leaf to work this morning, but unfortunately the wife needs it. I only use it in the morning for the school run, before coming back and getting on the Piaggio for my morning commute... which kept cutting out this morning :(

Being an EV it is very quiet, has a low centre of gravity and excellent weight distribution. To put another way, I'm saying it has a very good level of refinement. If you were to compare it to a regular car powered by petrol or diesel, IMO a 5dr Golf Bluemotion would be a fair comparison, although the Golf would have less features as standard.

http://www.carzone.ie/new-cars/volkswagen/GOLF/hatchback

Just some of my thoughts based on posts I skimmed through in the last few pages :) So based on the fact that I think my Leaf is a fantastic car, I think investing in a charging infrastructure is an excellent idea.

I think I saw some post mentioning batteries costing a lot to replace

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/17/us-ev-battery-idUSBRE83G0EX20120417
    LONDON | Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:30am EDT
    (Reuters) - The average price of an electric vehicle-grade battery fell 14 percent year-on-year to $689 per kilowatt hour in the first quarter as manufacturing capacity outstripped demand, a report by Bloomberg New Energy Finance said on Tuesday.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/185266/lithium-ion-battery-price-dlithium-ion-battery-price-drop-to-make-hybrids-evs-cheaperrop-will-make-hybrids-evs-much-cheaper/
    Hybrid and electric vehicles are set to become considerably cheaper in the coming years with the price of automotive lithium-ion batteries tipped to drop two-thirds by 2020.

US-based business analyst McKinsey believes the price of lithium-ion batteries will fall from their current level of US$500-US$600 ($474-$568) per kilowatt hour (kWh) to US$200 ($189) per kWh by 2020, before dipping even further to approximately US$160 ($152) per kWh by 2025.

What has never been done before and is happening now, is that these packs are being mass produced in huge (and increasing) quantities. As pointed out above, this is reducing the cost of these packs significantly every year. What's the point of discussing the cost of replacing a pack or part of a pack based on today's prices? Closely related to another point I want to raise is that the battery is still valuable and useful after the car phase of its life. This video is a recent interview with Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn. He discusses reducing the cost of the battery packs EV's use and how Nissan are developing the second life uses of those battery packs.

If in 10 years time you think 90% or 80% capacity isn't enough, you could buy a new pack (at a much reduced cost) and use the old pack for powering your home during the day on cheaper night rate electricity or with smart metering earning you money as you feed renewable electricity back to the grid that your battery pack charged up on overnight. Nothing far fetched about this technology, it already exists and based on discussions with the ESB I know they are also looking at implementing it.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/nissan-leaf-charger-will-start-powering-homes-in-july/
    On top of trundling you around town, the EV's battery will supply 6kWh of juice to your house, keeping it powered for up to two days. It also features an advanced charger, which can juice the Leaf to 80% capacity in only four hours, compared to the eight usually required to get to that level. It'll be sold through Nissan dealers and will run 480,000 yen ($6,000)

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Any of the chargers i have seen at railway stations and bus stations etc require payment, How many of these fast charge points are currently available and where are they?

http://www.esb.ie/electric-cars/electric-car-charging/electric-car-charge-point-map.jsp

30 fast charge points currently operational with a lot more planned for this year. Nissan have provided funding themselves for an etra 500 FCP's across Europe, a good few of those will be going into Ireland & Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware of that, but that only makes the last 60km free not the whole trip. If we want to go the whole way on FCPs that will take 2/3 on the road charges, which will increase the charge time to at least one hour. Leaving aside that this is bad for the battery, it's a non-saving.

EV driving 54 + 18 (charging for 1h) = 72

Fast Charging is not bad for the battery, nor is multiple fast charging per day.

http://www.torquenews.com/1075/nissan-leaf-webchat-answers-questions-electric-car-fast-charging-and-more
    Nissan's Mark Perry conducted a webchat today answering questions about the Nissan LEAF, electric car fast charging standards, fast charging networks, Nissans low price CHADEMO station, and more.
    Mark Perry: "Absolutely! The LEAF is capable of quick charging multiple times per day. Our battery management systems always protects the battery from risk. Charging rates will slow down if for some reason temperatures get out of the 'normal' range."

Mark Perry: "We updated the owners manual. Multiple quick charges are ok. The BMS protects the battery in all cases. If temperatures get outside normal range the charging rates simply slow down." What he's saying is the potential for harm is if the battery pack temperature rises too high during fast charge. It's not the act of fast charging that can cause damage, but the temperature increases.

Irish owners were also given a new manual which states fast charging multiple times day is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stopping in the middle of a long trip for 30 mins is unacceptable?

Its entirely unacceptable unless you value your time at practically nothing.

If you have the cash to afford an EV, you almost certainly have more money than time to begin with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MYOB wrote: »

If you regularly take long distance trips, then a plug-in hybrid with a petrol engine is the better option for you.

Why do you keep ignoring this point?

For most people, who might take such long journey trips two or three times a year, then stopping for 30 minutes to take a toilet break and grab some food is hardly unacceptable.

If you regularly take long distance trips, then a plug-in hybrid with a petrol engine is the better option for you.

Why do you keep ignoring this point?

For most people, who might take such long journey trips two or three times a year, then stopping for 30 minutes to take a toilet break and grab some food is hardly unacceptable.

Going on plug-in hybrid costs, a pure diesel is better for me - and I'm fairly sure it's going to stay so for quite some time.

I'm not ignoring anything. You, however, brush the constant and repeated safety issue of lithium batteries under the carpet every time it comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Wow, this thread's been active ...

It's my experience that people do take longer trips at least once a month. My own car experience is that I get the train to work so my car is all longer trips but I accept that I'm outside the norms as I also don't have children (and never intend to either, humbug). I do however have friends and we carpool when travelling so long trips means a loaded car.

What I can tell you is that selling people range as being "enough to get you there" based on 80-90km/hr is cynical. Efficiency is not most peoples primary concern on long trips unless they're getting paid for it, their priorities are safety and making good time, efficiency comes after that (I could do Dub-Cork at 9.5l/100k but for 10.5 I get there significantly faster with no appreciable reduction in safety).

As for the whole stopping on the way argument, I'm from Donegal originally, I know all about stopping half way. In the car or on the bike it takes 3.5-4 hours because the roads aren't great, that's a point where you need to make a choice, if your car couldn't manage it you'd stop and not feel overly cheated, I stop on the bike because this is Ireland and it's bloody freezing and wet all year 'round, in the car I just get the journey over with and done. There are other examples of journeys in Ireland where stopping half way is acceptable, however, Dublin to anywhere on a motorway in this country would not be acceptable to stop. If I were looking to carpool to Cork and you said you'd be doing 85km/hr and stopping for a bite half way I'd find someone else.

Ireland is either small enough to be perfect for electrics or large enough to stop half way, it can't be both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

hence the RCD

The RCD surely would protect any person against electrocution,
    I was wondering what/if any damage would occur to the battery.
    The billing system is already handled with the current chargers.

You are issued with an RFID card by ESB ecars, which you use to unlock the charging ports. The charging cable and ports are designed in such a way that they can't be pulled out, you have to use your RFID card to remove the cable.

To answer Wattys concerns:

1) The ESB will install a charging point in an apartment block car park if the management company give permission (they normally would, it increases the value of a development, no real reason to turn it down).

2) The chargers can be the versions that use the RFID cards, so you are charged for your actual usage.

3) The versions that use the RFID cards also lock the cable in, so they can't be removed by other people.

4) Charge points are usually placed in such a way that the car parks right up next to the charging point, so that people wouldn't be walking between them and risking a trip.

5) Vandalism is a risk, just like it is with anything. Your charging gear is as likely to be vandalised as anyones car is likely to be vandalised (keyed, slashed tires, etc.).

However I think people are less likely to vandalise electrical gear due to the risk (even if it is untrue) of being electrocuted.

Vandalism to your car and charging cable is covered by your insurance. The charger is covered by ESB ecars (and I assume their insurance company).

People already park in disabled spaces/parent child space, I can see ICE drivers parking in the allocated spaces, either maliciously or obliviously.

Apologies if this has been mentioned, lot of replies and information since I looked last.
    but
    Who supplies the car purchaser with their home charge point? Is eg in the case of the leaf, Nissan? is that included in the cost of the car.

What about feeding back power into the home? at night? that seems pointless as the rate is lower, or more to the point there is less demand on the grid at that time, so its not as much of a requirement, feeding into the grid would surely be better done during the day when the car is parked at say, a place of employment.

Is the ability to feed back into the grid included in the charger?
    Do people not stop to go for a piss and eat and drink something these days in Ireland?
    Surely they'll build motorway service stations like the REST OF THE WORLD someday . I should have a conversation with my son someday, 'Daddy, why aren't there any service stations on the motorway, I'm bursting!'
    I'd guess people can put up with 20-30 min stops when the fuel is almost free.

I go before I leave, put the foot down and dont stop if I can help it, but I dont make many long journeys anymore, an EV would suit the mileage I cover, if it weren't for the initial outlay,
    sorry what? its free??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Merch wrote: »

The RCD surely would protect any person against electrocution,
    I was wondering what/if any damage would occur to the battery.

People already park in disabled spaces/parent child space, I can see ICE drivers parking in the allocated spaces, either maliciously or obliviously.

Apologies if this has been mentioned, lot of replies and information since I looked last.
    but
    Who supplies the car purchaser with their home charge point? Is eg in the case of the leaf, Nissan? is that included in the cost of the car.

What about feeding back power into the home? at night? that seems pointless as the rate is lower, or more to the point there is less demand on the grid at that time, so its not as much of a requirement, feeding into the grid would surely be better done during the day when the car is parked at say, a place of employment.

Is the ability to feed back into the grid included in the charger?

I go before I leave, put the foot down and dont stop if I can help it, but I dont make many long journeys anymore, an EV would suit the mileage I cover, if it weren't for the initial outlay,
    sorry what? its free??

I recommend people to read the blog of the Leaf driver to get an idea of the current infrastructure issues and issues with cabling, its all there.

Yeah except for the initial outlay, the fuel is practically free. This is true so if you had an EV and were mostly a city driver with odd long trips I don't see the problem of charging every now and then mid way. Small inconvenience if you aren't doing it often. People rent cars for trips and that's also an inconvenience that costs a lot more in terms of rental and fuel and time. See what I'm driving at here? It depends on your lifestyle and business needs.

Its already been said MANY times on here (and getting repetitive) that EVs are not ideal for commuters who often drive long distances. That will change in a few years as battery costs reduce and petrol/diesel continues it's inexorable march upwards.

If you have the cash to afford an EV, you almost certainly have more money than time to begin with.

Who are you speaking on behalf of when you say "Its entirely unacceptable" ?

A lot of people (including me) did not have "cash" to buy our EV's, we got loans. The cost of which we balance against reduced daily running costs, reduced yearly motortax (€120 per year) and reduced maintenance. You can't simply brush total cost of car ownership under the rug. Purchasing a 25,000 euro Nissan Leaf has a lower total cost of ownership compared to a similar 25,000 euro ICE car.

We can discuss battery degradation costs when I actually experience it or battery/cell replacement costs in 5 to 10 years when there is actually a remote chance of me wanting to do that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Going on plug-in hybrid costs, a pure diesel is better for me - and I'm fairly sure it's going to stay so for quite some time.

That is fair enough, I've never said that EV's are suitable for everyone.

I honestly believe that EV's are suitable for 80% of people in Ireland. Vast majority people drive less then 30km per day, with the odd long distance journey every few months.

The Plug-in Hybrids are suited to about 18% of people. People who mostly do the usual daily commute, but might go long distance once every week or two.

The remaining 2% would be best with a good diesel. These are people who do more then 200km every day and often on different routes, for instance travelling salespeople, etc.
    I'm not ignoring anything. You, however, brush the constant and repeated safety issue of lithium batteries under the carpet every time it comes up.

What safety issue? There hasn't been a single case of lithium battery fires in EV's. In fact lithium batteries are far safer then the literally gas explosion that happens in a typical petrol car every second, never mind the tank full of explosive fuel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 4.legs.good

You are all missing a bigger problem, I would not be seen in a Nissan Leaf (or want to put my life at risk having the horrible near death experience of driving small sardine boxes before),
    for the same price and yearly running cost one can buy a 10 year old german 4x4 sports car, that would also be more luxurious, comfortable and safer (and fun for that matter with 330HP v8 engine), thats even with high petrol costs and tax

The only interesting electric car is Tesla S but we wont be seeing any of those for years (if ever at this rate) :(

Anyone know when the BMW i range coming to Ireland?

Btw last ive been in US asking all my friends, they would rather buy the GT500 (600HP) than the Model S (which is impossible to buy anyways), not to mention petrol is much cheaper there and no draconian taxes. I would love to test drive the Model S but if I had to reach into my pocket there would go for the GT500 :D

• Advertisement

for the same (...) yearly running cost one can buy a 10 year old german 4x4 sports car (...) with 330HP v8 engine
    What is the yearly running cost of V8 guzzler?
    And are we still talking Ireland?

----
    Well I found one matching:

2002 BMW 745i 4.4L V8 with 330HP
    Motor Tax Per Year: €1809
    Nah!

You are all missing a bigger problem, I would not be seen in a Nissan Leaf (or want to put my life at risk having the horrible near death experience of driving small sardine boxes before),
    for the same price and yearly running cost one can buy a 10 year old german 4x4 sports car, that would also be more luxurious, comfortable and safer (and fun for that matter with 330HP v8 engine), thats even with high petrol costs and tax

The only interesting electric car is Tesla S but we wont be seeing any of those for years (if ever at this rate) :(

Anyone know when the BMW i range coming to Ireland?

Btw last ive been in US asking all my friends, they would rather buy the GT500 (600HP) than the Model S (which is impossible to buy anyways), not to mention petrol is much cheaper there and no draconian taxes. I would love to test drive the Model S but if I had to reach into my pocket there would go for the GT500 :D

Your post was funny :) Just dealing with the safety aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 42 4.legs.good

What is the yearly running cost of V8 guzzler?
    And are we still talking Ireland?
    4.4liter x5 jeep

Car: €8000 2nd hand

Tax: ~320 last I checked (commercial, rear seats gone) or ~1600 (or is it 1800 now?) if put rear seats back

Insurance: ~700 (the joys of being male)

Petrol: ~21mpg average, would be more if rode within speed limits and had lighter foot...

service costs: paid 200 in last year

Fun factor: priceless

but i am not kidding, having driven small cars and having had several near death experiences due to other drivers playing chicken on roads (or being asleep) i would want as much metal and airbags and height between me and any eejit not paying attention.

my life at the end of the day is sort of important, something thats hard to put a price on...

4.4 x5 jeep

Car: €8000 2nd hand

Tax: ~320 last I checked (commercial, rear seats gone) or ~1600 (or is it 1800 now?) if put rear seats back

Insurance: ~700 (the joys of being male)

Petrol: ~21mpg average, would be more if rode within speed limits and had lighter foot...

Fun factor: priceless

but i am not kidding, having driven small cars and having had several near death experiences due to other drivers playing chicken on roads (or being asleep) i would want as much metal and airbags and height between me and any eejit not paying attention.

my life at the end of the day is sort of important, something thats hard to put a price on...

I ride a Ducati Monster for my daily commuting. Your most important defense against other drivers bad driving is to drive well yourself and use your brain. Good observation and thinking ahead are critical. You're only fooling yourself if you think you're automatically safe in your big cage ;)

Who are you speaking on behalf of when you say "Its entirely unacceptable" ?

Those who value their time at more than the fractional savings. Which, I imagine, is virtually everyone.

If you consider your time to be worth a few quid an hour, that's your concern.
    What safety issue? There hasn't been a single case of lithium battery fires in EV's. In fact lithium batteries are far safer then the literally gas explosion that happens in a typical petrol car every second, never mind the tank full of explosive fuel!!

There hasn't been a single fire? Really? Are you believing the spurious reasons given by the manufacturer to wave away the repeated Chevrolet ones then? That's just going off memory without even searching for more

Lithium batteries are not stable, and there has been nothing to date to fix that. It doesn't look likely coming either.

Those who value their time at more than the fractional savings. Which, I imagine, is virtually everyone.

If you consider your time to be worth a few quid an hour, that's your concern.

So you "imagine" you are speaking for "virtually everyone". Interesting :)

1/5 the price of petrol is a fractional saving!!!!

And again, most people will just charge overnight and very rarely have to stop to do a supercharge. Actually if you think about it most people will actually save time. Much quicker and more convenient to just plug in every night at home then to have to take the time to drive to a garage, wait to pump fuel, line up to pay, etc.

Also I'd imagine many people would be happy to not have to deal with the dirtiness and smells of petrol or diesel.

As for the case of lithium batteries catching fire. Please point out a single case of a person dying or being seriously injured due to a fire with the lithium battery?

And are you seriously trying to tell be that petrol/diesel cars are safer in this regard?

You have to be kidding, petrol/diesel engines catch fire all the time. In fact my friends car caught fire just last week!

Is there a risk, perhaps yes, but much less then a petrol/diesel car.

So you "imagine" you are speaking for "virtually everyone". Interesting :)

I don't know many people who consider their time to be practically valueless. Do you?
    1/5 the price of petrol is a fractional saving!!!!

Dearer vehicle. Dearer maintenance, even if we have people going "lalalala, I'll look at that in five years". Eventual end of subsidies and reduced tax if there's any increase in users, ditto being made pay for home charger installation, etc.

The savings are already fractional and could easily be nothing. Of course, I expect to hear the same line about future miracle battery technologies being trotted out now, as it has been for two decades.

As for the case of lithium batteries catching fire. Please point out a single case of a person dying or being seriously injured due to a fire with the lithium battery?

And are you seriously trying to tell be that petrol/diesel cars are safer in this regard?

You have to be kidding, petrol/diesel engines catch fire all the time. In fact my friends car caught fire just last week!

Is there a risk, perhaps yes, but much less then a petrol/diesel car.

There are how many electric cars in the world compared to petrol/diesel, exactly?

The risk is huge with lithium batteries and we're already seeing it with the minuscule amount out there.

Are you now moving away from the "no fires" position then?

Are you now moving away from the "no fires" position then?

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2012/01/20/government-ends-probe-into-chevy-volt-fires/

You have to be kidding, basically a volt caught fire a few weeks after being tested by the safety administration with side impacts and forced roll overs.

Lets make this clear, they crashed this car around a lot on purpose and during the crash testing, it didn't catch fire. Instead it only caught fire a few weeks later!!

Any serious side impact roll over crash that you can walk away from and which causes no immediate fire is perfectly fine in my books. You wouldn't be so lucky in many petrol cars.

GM have satisfied that this won't happen again as they are adding extra steel around the battery.

There hasn't been a single case of this happening in the wild. Despite Nissan Leafs and Volts been in numerous crashes, not a single one has resulted in the battery bay being penetrated or catching fire.

The way you make it out, it sounds like they are so unstable, they just spontaneously combust as you drive along, this isn't the case at all.

The fact that you even bring up this extreme safety corner case says to me that you are simply dead set against EV's (perhaps your are a petrol head) and that you won't be convinced and are looking for any little excuse to pick at them.

This is clear from the fact that you keep ignoring the existence of plug-in hybrids and keep going on about how awful it is that you might have to stop to recharge for 30 minutes once in a blue moon!

• Advertisement

There are more than just that one.

Wait until there's (if ever) a decent sized EV fleet and we'll see the lithium problems being obvious.
    The fact that you even bring up this extreme safety corner case says to me that you are simply dead set against EV's (perhaps your are a petrol head) and that you won't be convinced and are looking for any little excuse to pick at them.

I'm dead set against a broke state and a very expensive electricity company pouring money on an unready technology for a few zealots.

Once EVs are unsubsidised in any way, shape or form I won't give a damn about them, but as of now, they're costing me money.

As goes it being a "corner case" - EVs are nothing more than this anyway. Hence there being so few reports of fires, because there's so few to go on fire.
    I
    This is clear from the fact that you keep ignoring the existence of plug-in hybrids and keep going on about how awful it is that you might have to stop to recharge for 30 minutes once in a blue moon!

I don't ignore plug in hybrids - I consider them completely useless for what they claim to be. Any decent diesel car is more efficient than them.

30 minutes is a LOT of time to be sitting doing nothing, whereas I can put 5 of those 30 minute stops in to my work vehicle in 4 minutes.

Advertisement