Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Law is an Ass

Options
  • 24-05-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

"If the law supposes that," said Mr. Bumble, squeezing his hat emphatically in both hands, "the law is an ass- an idiot. If that's the eye of the law, the law is a bachelor; and the worst I wish the law is, that his eye may be opened by experience- by experience."

Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

I am really shook up about this and am not afraid to admit that I have cried over it. After so many years of rescue and trying to help condemned dogs in NI and the UK this case illustrates what a desperatly wrong law the DDA (Dangerous Dogs Act) is.

A few days back I've received a desperate plea from a youth worker in Belfast. One of the lads she is looking after is at the end stage of leukemia and has already gone blind due to a secondary tumour, he is weeks away from dying BUT he owns a dog which has mange and MAY be of type under the DDA. His family dares not to take the dog to the vet for treatment lest it be seized and destroyed.

He couldn't find peace and he couldn't let go, not knowing what would become of Jake.

Jake arrived here today. Having seen so many Bull Breeds passing through here it is seldom that I am absolutely wowed by a dog. But I must say, so far Jake is handsome inside and out. Lovely laid back temperament, no stubborness, VERY keen to please, most well behaved. Despite the lead being so short to due its doubling as a collar (he arrived like that and is now wearing a proper collar), he never pulled or got impatient. He's a star and a total credit to the young chap who raised him!

He's booked in at my vets for his mange.

30725_408312000888_169411475888_4253071_2162511_n.jpg

30725_408313470888_169411475888_4253086_7142618_n.jpg

This isn't just about animal welfare, it's about human welfare as well. It breaks my heart.

I am not religious but I will be lighting a candle for young Bert.

The law is an ass indeed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

The animal laws in this country and NI need to be scrapped and re-written by someone with at least one brain cell to their name:mad:
    Jake is such a handsome guy, look at that Staffie smile:) Fair play to you for stepping in and helping out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Egar you really are an angel, that story bought a tear to my eye. Having had animals all my life and had a couple of close family members pass away, I know how important it is for the sick person the be at peace in their last days, and to know that Jake is safe is a wonderful thing for that boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I must be a heartless B******. I know how the young chap must have felt. I lost my own younger brother to Cancer two years ago and some good friends since then as well. I work to care for animals and love my dogs but...
    Why did this dog go from Belfast to Galway? If it's a dangerous breed under the legislation of another state then, I'm sorry but, it's a dangerous breed. I've seen first hand what such dogs have done to, not just, adults but children as well. Much as I love animals they don't beat kids on my scale. Jake looks like and sounds like a lovely Dog and I don't wish to take from that but I can see why some laws regarding dangerous dogs were deemed necessary.
    You are wonderful to care so much and this country would be a sad place without people like you without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Much as I love animals they don't beat kids on my scale.

Well if you love kids you would appreciate how much light this dog brought into someone's life. If he doesn't deserve a death sentence pardon for that I don't know what does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am sorry but I do not follow your reasoning. The dog travelled from Belfast to Galway to get a chance for a good life because here he is not illegal. I did not take possession of the dog in NI, so I did not commit an illegal act.

I fail to see how a legislation which has been proven to be ridiculous and above all does not work, and has been scrapped in other countries, finds support from you.

I got mauled by a Yellow Lab, they are leading in biting incidents in Ireland and other countries and please don't tell me they can't cause as much damage as a Bull Breed. I spend days in hospital and required lots of stitches. Give me a Bull Breed any time.

I have rescued over a thousand dogs, most of which Bull Breeds, not one of them had temperamental issues. So I speak from experience unlike yourself I actually live with *those dogs*.

And yes, I am also a mother, my son still has all his limbs and digits.

I am sure young Bert will not share your sentiments. He spent two years of his life with this dog and raised him to be a good canine friend. So go figure.

I find your post insulting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Srameen, I'm sorry for your loss but I don't see why you have to start this dangerous breed bull****.

The poor family are losing this little boy and are obviously worried that they would lose their dog too and tried to find him a safe home.

we are lucky that there are people like EGAR around to help people in such awful situations. At least the family can find some comfort in knowing that their dog will be looked after.

TBH you do sound pretty heartless to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

:(

EGAR, would there be any chance of treating the dog and then arranging a meetup with the boy somewhere on our side of the border so that he knows his dog is happy and well?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The law punishes dogs & not owners. In the middle ages it was not unknown for an animal to be arrested & appear in Court. It's failure to answer questions was considered to be proof of guilt. We no longer expect dogs to talk but we do assume that the dog is the criminal rather than the owner.

Anyone with the slightest understanding of animals would know that there is no such thing as a dangerous breed. However rather than repealing legislation it is more likely to be made stronger. The increasing trend in the UK for dogs to be bought as weapons & the increased risk of dogs, that have been trained for aggression, biting will lead to new law. But there is little likelihood that dangerous owners will be prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ronan_Eoghan

I never seen a dangerous breed in dogs or any other species of animal.These so called fighting dogs and what have you aren't born fighting.It's the people who own them that force them into a lifestyle thats dangerous,and sadly thats the only life they grow up knowing.I've seen pit bulls,rotties,dobermans,etc that were the most loveable dogs you could imagine.And on the other hand I've had my hands mauled by a chihuahua,does that make him a dangerous breed then,all 10 lbs of him?The animal's personality reflects the life it's lived or living,and labeling and attacking the breeds in general is some of the most narrow-minded thinking I've ever seen.
    It's dangerous people who create a dangerous enviroment and animals,by a lifetime of abuse and neglect to simply not being educated enough about breeds of any animal before bringing it into their home.And when the animal does something horrible,some people are quick to attack the breed,instead of learning what kind of lifestyle,training,and discipline the animal had or hadn't.Thats just my 2 cents anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Jake has been seen and treated by my vet for the mange. The boy Bert has less than 2 months to live according to the social worker :(.

I would have no problem with it if it could be arranged but I do not know if he is able to travel down from Belfast to across the "border". I know the family has no transport, they don't even have a phone :(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

This story has brought me to tears :( EGAR, your such a superstar for providing a life line for this fella and I really hope that his owner can be at peace now knowing that his beloved friend is safe with you.

Anyone who has bothered to get to know a staffie will know that they are the most wonderful little doggies in the world who DONT deserve this monsterous title.

Well done again EGAR, I hope he finds a forever home soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't think this dog deserves a death sentence just because of what breed it is.

But I do think that some breeds are more likely to be more dangerous than some other breeds. All breeds are different in lots of ways, including likeliness to be aggressive, I think. But not neccessarily the ones on the list . . . And I really believe that some breeds have little or no chance of being aggressive, no matter how you raise them.

I've heard of staffie puppies that were raised by the RSPCA from birth (with a friendly mother) that became aggressive at maybe about 5 or 6 weeks old and attacks two of the litter, killing one. The first one to be attacked was taken away from the litter and so didn't become aggressive and was friendly. But the others were all so aggressive that they had to be put down. Which I find really weird. Maybe it was because they were in a rescue situation and not given enough attention and stuff. But why would a litter turn aggressive like that? I'm not saying Staffies are bad, because I don't even know them as a breed, but does this show that there is just something in them, that means they have the potential to be aggressive?

I'm really not saying Staffies are aggressive, just wondering what people think about that litter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

morganafay wrote: »
    I don't think this dog deserves a death sentence just because of what breed it is.

But I do think that some breeds are more likely to be more dangerous than some other breeds. All breeds are different in lots of ways, including likeliness to be aggressive, I think. But not neccessarily the ones on the list . . . And I really believe that some breeds have little or no chance of being aggressive, no matter how you raise them.

I've heard of staffie puppies that were raised by the RSPCA from birth (with a friendly mother) that became aggressive at maybe about 5 or 6 weeks old and attacks two of the litter, killing one. The first one to be attacked was taken away from the litter and so didn't become aggressive and was friendly. But the others were all so aggressive that they had to be put down. Which I find really weird. Maybe it was because they were in a rescue situation and not given enough attention and stuff. But why would a litter turn aggressive like that? I'm not saying Staffies are bad, because I don't even know them as a breed, but does this show that there is just something in them, that means they have the potential to be aggressive?

I'm really not saying Staffies are aggressive, just wondering what people think about that litter?

I'm sure that there are many stories that could be told of other breeds the same. I had a call from someone the other day that has a year old malamute that is aggressive. The owner and the vet noted the aggression in the dog at 7 weeks of age.

I'm sorry, but I also disagree with your point that there are some breeds that have little or no chance of becoming aggressive, no matter how you raise them. I believe that all dogs can be aggressive in the wrong circumstances, they are an animal and so will behave as such. Different breeds are still the same animal, just the size of them can determine how much damage they can do if they do bite a human or other dog. I don't know which breeds you mean, but my local vet has a very, very nasty bite on her hand at the moment from a golden retriever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

ISDW wrote: »
    I'm sure that there are many stories that could be told of other breeds the same. I had a call from someone the other day that has a year old malamute that is aggressive. The owner and the vet noted the aggression in the dog at 7 weeks of age.

I'm sorry, but I also disagree with your point that there are some breeds that have little or no chance of becoming aggressive, no matter how you raise them. I believe that all dogs can be aggressive in the wrong circumstances, they are an animal and so will behave as such. Different breeds are still the same animal, just the size of them can determine how much damage they can do if they do bite a human or other dog. I don't know which breeds you mean, but my local vet has a very, very nasty bite on her hand at the moment from a golden retriever.

I agree that any dog can be aggresive especially if they are afraid. I have a 7 year old springer spaniel that i rescued with help last year and to start with he was very aggresive with us, and still can be if he gets frightened so I have had to work really hard with him to control that.
    The only reason he is like that is down to the treatment he had for the first 6 and half years of his life. He was locked up in a garden or a garage as he was supposedly "hard work" when asked why they kept him I was told he was a pedigree! so flaming what! he's worth money so you keep him but treat him like S***???? The family I took him from have now got a Staffy and that little dog is starting to show aggresive tendencies, I so regret not reporting them when I took Boe off them :( ANY dog can be aggresive in the wrong persons hands

Advertisement