Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scammed?

• 24-05-2010 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

My girlfriends 525 tds over heated, she brought it to a tyre place beside us and they put a load of water into it, they said the head gasket might have gone. It drove away ok and then the next day overheated again so she stopped and had it towed to a mechanic. It turns out the problem was the thermostat had gone which wrecked the water pump. He has charged her 1100 euro because he took out the head gasket and checked to see if it was ok, it was fine. Then on top of that the engine is now making a clicking or taping sound which seems really bad, he says he doesnt know what it is but it could be the timing chain. A friend of mine brought his car to him a while ago when the engine was making a strange noise and he told him it was the timing chain, he brought it somewhere else and it turned out to be something very small, i didnt think of it as anything before but its seems strange him giving the car back making this noise and saying thats what it is.. I also would have thought a mechanic could tell if a head gasket was gone without taking the engine apart??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

rowanh wrote: »
    My girlfriends 525 tds over heated, she brought it to a tyre place beside us and they put a load of water into it, they said the head gasket might have gone. It drove away ok and then the next day overheated again so she stopped and had it towed to a mechanic. It turns out the problem was the thermostat had gone which wrecked the water pump. He has charged her 1100 euro because he took out the head gasket and checked to see if it was ok, it was fine. Then on top of that the engine is now making a clicking or taping sound which seems really bad, he says he doesnt know what it is but it could be the timing chain. A friend of mine brought his car to him a while ago when the engine was making a strange noise and he told him it was the timing chain, he brought it somewhere else and it turned out to be something very small, i didnt think of it as anything before but its seems strange him giving the car back making this noise and saying thats what it is.. I also would have thought a mechanic could tell if a head gasket was gone without taking the engine apart??

Yep.. a simple compression test would have told him about the Head Gasket. He sounds more like a robber than a mechanic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Plenty of other mechanics...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd be concerned that the tapping noise might be a result of his having messed up the valve timing when reassembling the engine. And as si guru said a compression test could have ruled out the head gasket. Mind you, I can't really see how a failed thermostat could wreck the water pump - thermostats tend to stick open. Although a failed water pump would cause overheating. By the way, did the mechanic remove the head, inspect the head gasket and then reuse the same gasket? If so, perhaps a mechanic might verify that this is ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd be concerned that the tapping noise might be a result of his having messed up the valve timing when reassembling the engine. And as si guru said a compression test could have ruled out the head gasket. Mind you, I can't really see how a failed thermostat could wreck the water pump - thermostats tend to stick open. Although a failed water pump would cause overheating. By the way, did the mechanic remove the head, inspect the head gasket and then reuse the same gasket? If so, perhaps a mechanic might verify that this is ok?

It most certainly is not alright to reuse a head gasket in this case, however I doubt if the car would run at all if he did reuse it. The gaskets have a material which hermitically seals the bore to the cylinder head to ensure compression is maintained. Reusing an old gasket will not seal properly if at all, and therefore would likely result in no compression and the engine not running. If the OP knows where to look, he should see evidence of a shiney new gasket between the top of the block and the bottom of the head!

This tapping noise is odd. The mechanic should know whether it is a timing chain or not, and indeed he would have to have removed the chain to get the head off.

Engines which overheat can have noises like this after they are repaired. The cause can be anything from excessive heat messing up valve clearences, a damaged camshaft, or a badly skimmed head which is uneven, resulting in valves coming too close to pistons :eek: It's highly likely that the overheating may be the route cause of the OP's problems, rather than human error, however the guy who did the job should know how to figure our what's still wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Is there a sniff test ( not with your nose;)) that can be done aswell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

How do you know he actually took the head off? He could say anything to ye.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Why did you take it to him if your friend didn't have a great experience with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

He didn't, his girlfriend who owned the car did, after she was left stranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Thanks for the responses, im not sure what to do, it sounds like he could be taking the piss, i just dont get why he wouldn't have done a simple test to see if the head gasket was ok rather than taking it out and sending it off somewhere to get tested..

On the receipt he has down that he changed the gasket and reconditioned the head.

Im just a bit surprised as i have gotten him to do stuff on a few cars i have owned and he has been great, he always seemed very honest and cheap before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Thanks for the responses, im not sure what to do, it sounds like he could be taking the piss, i just dont get why he wouldn't have done a simple test to see if the head gasket was ok rather than taking it out and sending it off somewhere to get tested..

On the receipt he has down that he changed the gasket and reconditioned the head.

Im just a bit surprised as i have gotten him to do stuff on a few cars i have owned and he has been great, he always seemed very honest and cheap before.

It sounds like something has been lost in translation to be honest, I'd imagine he ment that he sent the head off to be tested. How long did he have the car?
    It seems that either he didnt explain what he did very well, or it wasnt understood 100%.
    A mechanic could make up a story thats plausible to milk you without having to resort to Bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 osealy

Water pump failure is common on 525tds engine. Plastic impeller shears off?
    I think a compression test is troublesome on a diesel???

See if you can see the new gasket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

just hang that mechanic, and go to ather one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

kona wrote: »
    It sounds like something has been lost in translation to be honest, I'd imagine he ment that he sent the head off to be tested. How long did he have the car?
    It seems that either he didnt explain what he did very well, or it wasnt understood 100%.
    A mechanic could make up a story thats plausible to milk you without having to resort to Bull****.
    Either way, he:

1.) Replaced a HG that by his own admission didn't need replacing

and

2.) Gave the car back making a tapping noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

osealy wrote: »
    Water pump failure is common on 525tds engine. Plastic impeller shears off?
    I think a compression test is troublesome on a diesel???

Waterpump is not uncommon on the 525tds, but more the bearings that go. Fortunatly, the 525tds actually cuts the engine off, when it really overheats (there is a sensor, much to my surprise).

Happened to me on the german Autobahn with my '97 525tds.

And a compression test is no problem with a 525tds. BMW did exactly that before handing me the car back. Replacing waterpump, fanbelt, compression test was something like 300-350 quid in Germany at a main dealer incl. parts.

While I expect it to cost a tad more over here, the OPs girlfriend definatly got scammed.

/M

Advertisement