Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlebar/Westport

Options
  • 24-05-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to drive from Castlebar to Westport? And also from Castlebar to Killary harbour?

My husband is doing Gael Force West in August and never booked anywhere to stay - now everywhere in Westport seems to be booked out so thinking of maybe staying in Castlebar. Just wondering the distances in 'real life' - have looked up AA Roadwatch but sometimes I find their timings totally off, don't want to book something and then end up with a way longer journey than we thought!

At moment the place in Castlebar thats available is Breaffy Woods Hotel.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

You'll do Castlebar to Westport in 15 mins handy (10 mins if you get a clear run). Not certain about Castlebar to Killary but certainly inside an hour

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As Threebeards said 15 to Westport, but that could sway 5 mins either way depending on the time of the day due to traffic and tractors etc :)

As regards GF, you will probably be looking at 35/40 mins from Castlebar. We did it there for the Connemara Challenge from Westport in 25 mins to about 3KM the far side of Leenaun. Not 100% of where the registration is this year though for GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Thanks.... that sounds great. Just didn't want to end up somewhere an hour and a half away or something - esp when their start time is 8.30am !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Contact Westport Tourist Office. There is a lot of accommodation of all sorts in Westport area. Also ask about out towards Loiusburgh.

Gaelforce is very popular and attracts large crowds but I am surprised to hear that everything is booked this early.

I would suggest 35 minutes from Westport to Delphi going through Louisburgh. Cbar Wpt 15 mins.

Tell your husband to take it easy running up and down Croagh Patrick. Can be dangerous especially if it turns wet.

Enjoy

Well have seen two b&b's still free on bookassist.com but both only have one room left - need 2 as a friend of ours is doing Gael Force as well. Only other option that seems to be available is Hotel Westport which is 230 eur per night for a double room and definitely not paying that much for a room!
    Emailed 12 b&bs and all were booked out.

Happy enough with Castlebar anyway now that they are quite near. I'm pregnant so they will have a designated driver to taxi them around :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Thats very expensive for a hotel room. I thought that the hotels were doing great deals at the moment. No way would I pay that much for a room for the night :eek:
    Then again it is bang smack in the middle of the tourist season and Westport does have a great tourist industry. But its still way too dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

What dates in August will you be there? I see a room for two people in the Castlecourt Hotel in Westport for 110 euros.

Will be there the 20th and 21st of august!

Had a look for Castlecourt for our dates and looks like cheapest is 180 a room there.

I think the Breaffy Woods might be handy because they've 2 bed apartments available, means the three of us travelling could share the apt so it only works out about 90 eur each for 2 nights, and then on the morning of Gael Force if the lads need some proper breakfast to get them going they could just whip something up themselves. I doubt a hotel fry would be a good start to the race!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

sillysocks wrote: »
    Had a look for Castlecourt for our dates and looks like cheapest is 180 a room there.

I think the Breaffy Woods might be handy because they've 2 bed apartments available, means the three of us travelling could share the apt so it only works out about 90 eur each for 2 nights, and then on the morning of Gael Force if the lads need some proper breakfast to get them going they could just whip something up themselves. I doubt a hotel fry would be a good start to the race!

Try googling atlanticholidayhomes..may get a house/apartment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Yes agree with Placebo. AHH ( Pat Ayleward and Robt Kilkelly ) manage many of the self catering apartments and houses in Westport area part from the approx 100 apartment Harbour complex who afaik have their own management.

I know a large crowd come to Gale force. Some of my family competed in the past and are in training now. Still surprised to hear Westport booked out - lots of beds there and thereabouts. Breaffy is a little far from the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

newport is less than 15 mins from westport, €100 per double room per night, cute little hotel and town is pretty handy for Westport without the cost

http://www.hotelnewportmayo.com/

Thanks Placebo.... hav emailed them and will see if they come back with anything. A couple of the self catering places I've emailed will only rent out for a full week in August and we can only stay for 2 days so that wouldn't work. Hopefully they might be different!
    Will have a look at Newport as well..........

One last question - can anyone tell me roughly how long of a drive from Galway Airport is it to Westport? Thinking of flying up after work on Friday and just meeting the other half up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

knock airport is 30 - 40 mins might be handier

Can't fly to Knock from here.... only Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

1-1.5 hour(s) from Galway airport...

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

Fly to Ireland West Airport (Knock), which is just off the N5 near Charlestown, AerArann flight around 18.15 most days. It's at least 30 mins closer and much better road than coming from Galway.

Advertisement