Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog crate size

Options
  • 24-05-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

What size crate would I need for a terrier (10kg, approx 10" at shoulder, standard 'terrier' size). I'm thinking of crating until I get my garden sorted out.

I currently have something along the lines of this, but I suppose it'd be too small for overnight:
    therapettravelcarriercrate.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Would you be better off with a metal cage? More space and comfort than a crate. And more open so the dog can look around.

I got this one in ZooPlus:-

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers/metal_cages_and_boxes/13555

Got it to housetrain a cocker spaniel pup. Also fits my 2 adult cockers if they ever need it.

Went for the "92 x 62 x 69 cm (L x W x H) , 2 doors" size for £49.90.

Not sure about leaving a dog in one overnight though, if that's what you plan to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The metal crate is the way to go, I have one that was supposed to be the right size for a cocker, would have to be a very small one as my Lhasa apso can just lay full length in it. Its 24 ins long x 18 wide x 20 high.
    I wouldn't recommend any smaller unless its a really small terrier. They need room to turn around and lie out flat, mine was about €40.
    Crate training is great, both mine are crate trained and sleep in them at night, and when they were pups they went in when needed.
    Are you planning on leaving it outside? If so thats not a good idea, a small pen would be better, with shaded area and water. My friend made a small pen for their pup with some 2x2 timber and some aviary wire, cost about the same as a crate, and was much bigger. Could also be moved around as needed.
    The carriers in the pics are great for transport but I think the metal ones are better for overnight, better air flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

mymo wrote: »
    The metal crate is the way to go, I have one that was supposed to be the right size for a cocker, would have to be a very small one as my Lhasa apso can just lay full length in it. Its 24 ins long x 18 wide x 20 high.
    I wouldn't recommend any smaller unless its a really small terrier. They need room to turn around and lie out flat, mine was about €40.
    Crate training is great, both mine are crate trained and sleep in them at night, and when they were pups they went in when needed.
    Are you planning on leaving it outside? If so thats not a good idea, a small pen would be better, with shaded area and water. My friend made a small pen for their pup with some 2x2 timber and some aviary wire, cost about the same as a crate, and was much bigger. Could also be moved around as needed.
    The carriers in the pics are great for transport but I think the metal ones are better for overnight, better air flow.
    They're usually outside at night, and have plenty of shade, shelter and water. The problem is that we have a tree which is full of birds, the birds attract feral cats, the dogs go mad at the cats and my OH isn't getting any sleep. I'll be removing the tree and trying to cat-proof the garden ASAP, but I need something in the meantime before OH has a psychotic episode.

One of them would be no problem to have indoors but the other had never seen the inside of a house until I adopted her from rescue and has never really gotten the idea of house training, every time I've kept her in overnight in the past I've woken to wee and poo on the floor.

Well to house train, crate training is great, but you have to take it slow. put the crate in the kitchen or utility room, Start by putting food in it and leaving the door open, make it comfy and leave a toy or something in there. When they're going in themselves, give them a chew toy or stuffed kong and shut the door, stay in the room and give it a few mins, when they're happy and quiet you can open the door again. You just extend the time they're in the crate, and leave the room for a minute or two, gradually increasing the time. Should take about 2 weeks at the most until they're happy in it, and you can try overnight.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They're well used to travelling in their crates (similar to the ones in my first post). I'm just wondering if those would be ok for overnight, or if I'd need something a bit bigger.

• Advertisement

Depends on the size of the crates, can the stand up, stretch out and turn around easy?
    The other thing is air circulation, thats why the wire cage type are good, but if its only temporary, they're in a cool place and they are big enough, it should be fine.
    The other thing is the wire cage folds flat and can be put away, so you could get one big one and set it up at night, then fold it away in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

kylith wrote: »
    They're usually outside at night, and have plenty of shade, shelter and water. The problem is that we have a tree which is full of birds, the birds attract feral cats, the dogs go mad at the cats and my OH isn't getting any sleep. I'll be removing the tree and trying to cat-proof the garden ASAP, but I need something in the meantime before OH has a psychotic episode.

One of them would be no problem to have indoors but the other had never seen the inside of a house until I adopted her from rescue and has never really gotten the idea of house training, every time I've kept her in overnight in the past I've woken to wee and poo on the floor.

Poor soon to be homeless birds hope yo don't plan to do that soon they are nesting and have babies atm. The cats will also still visit your garden even without the tree.

Metal crates are better and stronger, zooplus as mentioned is one of the more reasonably.

Advertisement