Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas - Dun Laoghaire?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all,

I am starting a new job in Dun Laoghaire next Monday 31st May. I will be commuting from Adamstown and did a trial run on Saturday - took about 40 mins.
    I came off at J14 M50 up the N11 and then the N31 to Library Rd.

Any advice on whether there is a better way and where can I park that isn't extortionate?

Was thinking about maybe parking up sooner and cycling the last bit if the traffic ends up being a nightmare.

I start at 9am so was going to give myself a good 1 and 20 for the first day.

any and all comments much appreciated. I am moving back home after being in the UK for years so dont know anything about the traffic in Dublin.

thanks

niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Where in DP are you going to be working? Commuted there from the Northside for over six months recently. J16 via Cheery wood might be quicker if it's the far side of DL you're aiming for.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Have a look in the south county Dublin forum, there's a similar thread there.

(and for your own sanity, stay clear of J14 in the mornings, go on to Cherrywood and back to DL that way).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

16 can be bad in the mornings too. The hill from Sallynoggin roundabout to the Peoples Park is also horrendous in the mornings so avoid it.

Here's best option I think, map

Assuming you mean Ubrary rd, not Library road in Rathdowne as per MCMLXXV's map as that's nowhere near the N31

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to the south dub forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 niall9

Great so J16 it is and yes it is Urbrary Rd although I think this might be a google mistake?

Thanks for the map links. Great stuff.

Any ideas about journey times at rush hour/ parking? Could I park up in resi area and walk?

niall9 wrote: »
    Any ideas about journey times at rush hour/ parking? Could I park up in resi area and walk?

most of the parking in DL and surrounding area is paid. its quite a walk to the nearest free places and not sure where they are on that side of DL. The carpark behind the west pier is €3 per day iirc

I think it is a mistake by Google alright.

I can't imagine the journey taking more than 15 mins from the M50 on a normal day. There is the odd day where traffic backs up nearly to the sliproad for some reason though.

Watch the speed one the junction from the M50 down to the bridge over the N11, frequently cops there and its only 60kph

fantastic stuff cookie monster - thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I can't imagine the journey taking more than 15 mins from the M50 on a normal day. There is the odd day where traffic backs up nearly to the sliproad for some reason though.

Watch the speed one the junction from the M50 down to the bridge over the N11, frequently cops there and its only 60kph

15 minutes on a clear road maybe. At 7:45 it's over 20 to get to the coast. Half an hour minimum anywhere near 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Mountdown Lower Rd is currently only one way though due to roadworks so when going into DL you wont be able to go down that road.

You will have to come back up to Abbey Road, then go down Monkstown Ave and then Mountdown upper to bypass the road works.

I used to get off the M50 onto the Leopardstown road and on to the Stillorgan dual carriageway, turn right there and then left onto Kill Ln and then into DL that way but I was always getting off the M50 around 8 at the latest.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    Mountdown Lower Rd is currently only one way though due to roadworks so when going into DL you wont be able to go down that road.

You will have to come back up to Abbey Road, then go down Monkstown Ave and then Mountdown upper to bypass the road works.

no need for that. Sallynoggin hill and left onto Tivoli Rd and right at Petersons garage but traffic may be bad on the hill.

All depend on what time you aim to get there at really.

Hi all,

We are moving to Dublin after years of absence. I have a job in Dun Laoghaire, my wife has one in Naas.

If we lived somewhere like Dundrum or Stillorgan - how bad would her commute be to the centre of Naas town?

If its too bad we may have to look further west - Terenure/ Saggart?

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

It's all about timing. I live in D16 and it is only 8 miles away from DL. If I leave at 7.30, I'm at my desk by 8am, out by 4 :D.

If I leave after 8, it will take 45 mins no matter what way I go. If traffic is really **** or weather is bad (therefore everyone drives), it can take an hour.

My employer subsidises our parking in the harbour, which comes to a fiver a week. Maybe you could check that one out - they sell permits, so you could save money that way.

The missus' commute might work out alright, if she's against the traffic all the way.

Advertisement