Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC. How it works?

• 24-05-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Do you simply connect a router in to the existing NTL TV cable box and run an ethernet cable from the router?

Is it possible to have more than one connection point? We have a NTL box downstairs just for TV. Is it possible for me to get a broadband connection point installed upstairs? Or would I have to get a new line? Or is it even possible to have two NTL lines in one house?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

A coaxial cable from outside connects to a modem or combined modem/wireless router inside the house. The TV Box is not used anywhere for broadband.

For a standalone modem, you then connect your own wireless router to the modem with an ethernet cable.

Then you connect your computers etc wirelessly to the router.

Most routers also have several outlets for wired connections which are better if for example the computer is close to the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

UPC supply either a Modem only (fed by coax) or a Modem (fed by coax) with Router, ethernet and WiFi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Mine is all connected upstairs to the main p.c. - so we have the modem / router / and telephone connection all upstairs. Downstairs the cable is through the ntl box on the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

Thanks for the replies so far.

So where is the broadband cable actually coming from? Do they need to make a hole in the wall or does it come from the same place as your phone line? I mean, where does the cable that connects to modem enter the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Just order tv and split the cable in two !

Hooray for free broadband ;)

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    Just order tv and split the cable in two !

Hooray for free broadband ;)

No you would also have to clone a provisioned MAC, attach a 3rd party modem. Which is against UPC tos and is theft of service, illegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

A coaxial cable from outside connects to a modem or combined modem/wireless router inside the house. The TV Box is not used anywhere for broadband.

For a standalone modem, you then connect your own wireless router to the modem with an ethernet cable.

Then you connect your computers etc wirelessly to the router.

Most routers also have several outlets for wired connections which are better if for example the computer is close to the router.

If you dont wanna use wireless networking you could consider homeplugs.

http://www.im2web.co.uk/Homeplugs.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Dark Nex wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far.

So where is the broadband cable actually coming from? Do they need to make a hole in the wall or does it come from the same place as your phone line? I mean, where does the cable that connects to modem enter the house?

Depends on the current wiring, and where you want to put the modem/router.

They often can connect it through the existing box on the wall that your TV signal comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

OP, it all depends on your house/apt.

UPC will be connected up to your own house already seing as you have the tv service.

If there is only one UPC point in your house (where your tv is now) you have a choice of either having the modem installed there with a splitter, or getting a second point installed somewhere else.

The second point probably would involve having a hole drilled in the wall for it to be fed through.

As I said though, it all depends on your house, as lots of houses are prewired.
    My own apartment has three ready built cable points in it for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Nex

OP, it all depends on your house/apt.

UPC will be connected up to your own house already seing as you have the tv service.

If there is only one UPC point in your house (where your tv is now) you have a choice of either having the modem installed there with a splitter, or getting a second point installed somewhere else.

The second point probably would involve having a hole drilled in the wall for it to be fed through.

As I said though, it all depends on your house, as lots of houses are prewired.
    My own apartment has three ready built cable points in it for instance.

Thanks for all the answers everyone. Just have one last question. These ready built cable points from NTL/UPC. If they are in the house, is there anyway to physically see these or are they behind the wall?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

There is usually a blanking plate next to a plug socket. Remove that and a cable is inside.

Advertisement