Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

7000 on small diesel car?

• 24-05-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

i have around 7000e to spend on a small diesel car,peugout 207 ,307, ford focus 1.6 or opel corsa 1.i3cdti?any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hey Jonathan, i moved your post to your own thread as you'll get a better response here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jonathan85

thank u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

what about a toyota corolla 1.4 d4d?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

What year would you like to buy, how old?

What kind of mileage do you do per annum?

looking to get the best value for money i can, 06 is the lowest i can go, had a 05, 1.4 petrol golf and found it very heavy on the petrol, just looking for peoples recommendations and views on a good car around this price range. doing about 15000 miles a year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

7k isn't going to get you far with an 06 for a decent one. I'd search out a petrol ceed. Light on juice and you're doing tiny mileage so diesel premium isn't worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If I were buying something that size, doing that mileage and buying pre-'08, I'd probably be looking at a petrol rather than a diesel.

What has you thinking of going diesel?

just figured it would be most economical because the car i had was very heavy on the petrol, i suppose it gets better with the newer the car is, thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

You're only hope of getting a good well maintained diesel within your budget is probably is in a larger type car funnily - smaller diesels seem to retain their value better

As other point out, you will pick up a petrol 207/focus/astra for your budget. Otherwise a bigger diesel car is the answer http://adverts.ie/226636 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It's better the further away you go from a 1.4 golf...my father doesn't hold back and he's getting better mileage from a 2 litre Mondeo than I get from a 1.6 Leon. Sister is getting mid 30's about town from a 1.4 ceed. Hyundai i30 is the same car with a much nicer interior but a year or two newer so it'd be an extra couple of grand.

Just don't buy a car based on the reg. Buy a couple of years older with a verifiable history and you're smiling.

• Advertisement

thought the kia's get fairly slatted on here,most posts ive read recommend something else instead of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

jonathan85 wrote: »
    just figured it would be most economical because the car i had was very heavy on the petrol, i suppose it gets better with the newer the car is, thanks for all the replies

Seriously, that statement is so innacurate it's not even funny.

If you're decision to avoid '05 and older cars is because of your previous uneconomical car and that you think '06 and newer are going to be more economical 'because they're newer'.... you seriously need to rethink this.

There are hundreds of different cars to choose from per year that have a multitude of different characteristics.

You had a bad balance of power/weight in a petrol car that resulted in crap MPG. That's your own fault for not doing enough research the first time.

So, rather than compounding that mistake this time around, don't put on the blinkers and assume that a huge portion of the car market is uneconomical because of your misinformed opinion of these ghastly '5 year old+' cars.

That may have seemed a bit of a harsh response to your thread but I think it's quite important so hopefully you'll take some of it onboard.

so what are the good, reliable,good mpg cars within hes budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Well are you dead set that it has to be at least a 2006?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

a 99 or 00 gt tdi golf .... cheap monies and good to go

for the mileage hes doing dont think he wouldn't need a 1.9tdi golf,hes only doin 15,000 miles per year,smaller engine would suite him better

well guys thanks for all ur replies, i was lookin at 06 peugeot 307 last night, 56000kilometers on the clock and just nct'd any one have any thing to say about them?4900e?

Price seems good,is it the 1.4 or 1.6 version?judging by the price i take it that its petrol ?

Advertisement