Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of The Week #59 - Rush - Moving Pictures

Options
  • 24-05-2010 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the latest album of the week. Despite the sad passing of Ronnie James Dio, none of his music was voted to the top. There was a variety of albums voted for again this week but one clear winner emerged pretty quickly.

Here's the breakdown of the votes. As usual, only albums with more than one vote are listed.

Band
    |
    Album
    |
    Vote Count

Cult of Luna|Somewhere Along The Highway|2
    Deicide|Once Upon the Cross|3
    Opeth|Still Life|3
    Dio|Dream Evil|3
    Rush|Moving Pictures|6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

First Rush album I listened to and still my favourite. Excellent from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

One of my earliest Rush memories, my second favourite Rush album of all time after Permanent Waves. Looking forward to experiencing it played in full on the Time Machine Tour.:cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Great album, though I never quite got the mania around Tom Sawyer :o

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Love this album.

Gold from start to finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Tom Sawyer - The riff, the throbbing bass line "and what you say about his company etc" is sublime

Red Barchetta - The phased out guitar solo is extremely polished. Pearts drumming is beautiful throughout. The little bass solo at the end is up there with Entwistle

YYz - Geddys bass playing is Just wow!

Limelight - The crunchy guitar sound, Liefson's solo again is class

The Camera eye - My personal favourite, I like epic songs, The Bass tone Geddy gets during the solo is so ballsy. The moogy/arp intro is sweet

Witch Hunt - The simple chord structure for "Features distorted in the flickering light" part is great and they milk it when the synths break in. Peart hangs some beautiful rolls over it

Vital Signs - really gives a hint of whats to come from Rush with Signals. Not my most favourite track (Rock/Reggae mix ups dont do much for me). But has its good points

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Absolutely fantastic album, trying to get my daughter into Rush at the moment. Think I'm getting there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Without doubt - a masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

A masterpiece indeed. Not a bad song - actually not even just an 'OK' song on it, they're all brilliant.

Limelight - that solo is just perfect, especially the way it sustains at the end while the rhythm guitars come back in over it. And Witch Hunt - probably my favourite moment in their live show back in 2007, such a powerful song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Really goes to exemplify what an amazing drummer Neil Peart is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Outstanding album not a bad song on it. Limelight & Witch hunt stand out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Easily in my top 5 favourite albums of all time,.. pure musical perfection:cool:

:DI was there... :D

toronto1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

galwayrush wrote: »

toronto1.jpg

Ah you totally should've taken a photo of yourselves with some paintings, your halfway there with the red shirts though:pac:

Ah you totally should've taken a photo of yourselves with some paintings, your halfway there with the red shirts though:pac:

We had planned to get some cheap frames and do the walk:D, but a late start after way too much beer the night before put paid to that, also managed to get to the corner of Danforth and Pape , Massey Hall and Lakeside Park while there. We avoided the Orbit Room after the concert as we felt it would be too packed, found a small rock bar and ended up drinking with Alex's business partner in the Orbit Room , 2 of the roadcrew, and Alex's son, who left the Orbit Room as it was too packed:pac: Great night.:cool:

Edit, Although we didn't meet any of the band, how could i forget, had a great chat with the legendary Terry Brown, producer of Moving Pictures.:cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

galwayrush wrote: »

toronto1.jpg

Great picture. Where is it? I never tire of that album, it's just incredible from start to finish. I think that 'Signals' was actually a fantastic follow up album. It's a real pity about the albums that followed though.

The Ontario Legislative Building at Queen's Park Toronto.:cool:

Advertisement