Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog has the runs

Options
  • 24-05-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I've stopped feeding him since yesterday morning as everything thats going in is coming out the other end as liquid. Anyone have any home remedies that might sort his stomach out? His insides are making so much noise it's almost funny :D. He still seems to be in fine fettle though. Was only playing out the back for the last 30 mins.

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

How long has this been going on for?
    Is the dog drinking well?
    Boil up some rice with a bit of chicken, no stock or salt or anything, and give small amounts, if it stays in, wait a couple of hours and give a little more.
    This should firm it up pretty quick.
    Do keep a close eye on the dog though as they can go down hill very quick.
    hope he/she is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

mymo wrote: »
    How long has this been going on for?
    Is the dog drinking well?
    Boil up some rice with a bit of chicken, no stock or salt or anything, and give small amounts, if it stays in, wait a couple of hours and give a little more.
    This should firm it up pretty quick.
    Do keep a close eye on the dog though as they can go down hill very quick.
    hope he/she is ok.

Since I've had him he always seems to have a sensitive stomach. Doesn't help he eats EVERYTHING he sees! He's taking in plenty of water, so no problem there. I've no chicken in the house :rolleyes: but I might try some rice just to see how he gets on with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Be very careful as rotties can get dehydrated very easily if they have a bad dose of the runs and if so they can go downhill quite quickly.

Is he vomitting too? To be honest if the dog still has the runs quite bad tomorrow i would bring him to the vet.

Is there anything that he could have eaten to cause this or have you changed his food recently?

Make sure hes drinking water too to try and stop him from getting dehydrated but to be honest, if he has the runs quite bad you would need to be very careful.

Is it runny or like water?

Oh rotties tend to have very sensitive stomachs, my fella gets sick very easy so i have to be so careful about what he eats.

Even the rice should help, just make sure its a little at first, I know he'll try the sad eyes;), but don't give in.:p
    what food are you feeding him, is it a sensitive one?
    I have found ones with rice or potatoes rather than grain in them seem to be easier on the tum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

andreac wrote: »
    Be very careful as rotties can get dehydrated very easily if they have a bad dose of the runs and if so they can go downhill quite quickly.

Is he vomitting too? To be honest if the dog still has the runs quite bad tomorrow i would bring him to the vet.

Is there anything that he could have eaten to cause this or have you changed his food recently?

Make sure hes drinking water too to try and stop him from getting dehydrated but to be honest, if he has the runs quite bad you would need to be very careful.

Is it runny or like water?

Oh rotties tend to have very sensitive stomachs, my fella gets sick very easy so i have to be so careful about what he eats.

No vomiting, just the runs. I've been watching his water intake closely because of the heat over the weekend of nothing else. Food wise, he's had nothing out of the ordinary. Just his dry food with rice, veg and sometimes meat.
    mymo wrote: »
    Even the rice should help, just make sure its a little at first, I know he'll try the sad eyes;), but don't give in.:p
    what food are you feeding him, is it a sensitive one?
    I have found ones with rice or potatoes rather than grain in them seem to be easier on the tum.

He's on Bellcando. Not sure what ratio of grains, rice etc are in it off the top of my head. Will have to check.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

My boxer has a very sensitive stomach and went through months of this until I found a food that suits her. The vet told me to give her boiled rice and chicken and also natural pro-biotic yogurt, always did the trick instantly! Even the rice mixed with the yogurt and you should see a difference, the yogurt cleanses their digestive systems, but only natural pro-biotic, any others will just add to the problem. Only a short term solution though, with my dog it was just a matter of finding the right type of food that suited her stomach. You should probably see your vet anyway incase its anything more than that.

Hope he/she is better soon!

Forgot to mention the yogurt, its great for them and they love it. Just make sure its only the natural probiotic stuff, not ordinary yogurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Does it matter if it's white rice, or should it be wholegrain? Just out of interest.

Also, you know how if you drink loads of water and it's a hot day, then you can have too much water, just wondering if anyone knows does this apply to dogs too? Maybe not because they don't sweat so much so won't be losing salt? I'd be a bit worried if they drank a lot but hadn't eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

brown is what my vet tells me to use,
    but I use it to help loosen up the bowels.

i dont know how much water a dog should get a day?

but id imagine if the dog was drinking too much thier would be some underlying health problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

I used to just use ordinary white rice, did change to brown because I heard it was better for dogs but when using the white it was fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Colpriz

make sure nobody's feeding him chocolate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey,

I had the same problem with my Mal . only there a few weeks ago .

So first i did the rice and chicken for him .

Then i also bought the junior food for him instead of puppy. Hes 7months so i didnt mind changing it to junior.

Puppy food have lots of nutrients in it compared to junior and adult. So if hes a pup go to junior or adult food and see how that goes down with him.

And ye as everyone is saying make sure he keeps drinking water . Keep puttin the water in front of him to encourage him.

Hope he gets better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Colpriz wrote: »
    make sure nobody's feeding him chocolate

Or UNIONS

Advertisement