Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hedging is dying

Options
  • 24-05-2010 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

HI i wonder if anyone can help me ?

i have a hedge growing the past number of years out the front of the house .

lately it has started to die off very rapidly.

i have put up a pic to give an idea of what its like .:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks like Griselinia, in a lot of gardens it appeared to die off over the winter, but most of it has rallied. Your hedge appears to have partly survived ok, but a section has died. If it is not showing any signs of life - look at it very closely for buds, and scrape a tiny bit of the bark to see if it is green underneath - then you will have to take it out and replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

yes I is griseline hedge, lots of people have trouble with the hedges after the winter, If you dont see any sign of live on this dead looks hedge you have to remove it and plant new ones,

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Ispin

This type of hedge has died all over the country. A fungal disease by all accounts, having spoken to a few people in the know. Originally people assumed it was the severe winter but not so apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cardynal

Have a Griselinia hedge up the back of my garden for the past 5 years , about half of it withered away like your pitcure , but showing sings of recovery the past few weeks , getting some green shoots so don't give up hope just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Cardynal wrote: »
    Have a Griselinia hedge up the back of my garden for the past 5 years , about half of it withered away like your pitcure , but showing sings of recovery the past few weeks , getting some green shoots so don't give up hope just yet.

I also have a withered Griselinia hedge since the winter, and it also is showing some signs of new growth. Would it be best to cut it all back and let it grow afresh or just keep it clipped to it's normal height and allow the new growth to eventually take over?

• Advertisement
Advertisement