Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i go to the vet ??

Options
  • 24-05-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi all wondering could ya give me some advice..The other day Rubys hind leg went into a spasm she limped on it 4 awhile but after few mins she was boundin around again..That happened saturday and dis evening again she was walking around and her leg went stiff again and she was limping :(..my fella says its just muscle cramp but im not so sure:confused:Has anyone else experienced this??she was jumping around the trampoline with the kids sat and fell off ....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dogs dont really get muscle cramps like humans so if shes still lame then she could have damaged it after the fall.
    Dont want to scare you but if its the hind leg she could have damaged her cruciate ligament which usually needs surgery but you would need to the vet to see her first so see exactly what it is.
    I would not let her go much longer without getting her to the vets as shes probably in pain too.
    Just make sure you rest her for the moment and dont let her jump up on the couch etc or up and down the stairs or it could make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Her form is good she doesnt seem to be in pain...maybe i shud get her checked out just to be sure:)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

What type of dog is Ruby ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

if it was my dog(also ruby :D) i would have her x rayed without delay.

i love my dog as if she was the child in our house and if one of my children were limping around i would bring them to the doc....well same goes for the dog.

best wishes,let us know what the outcome is and any progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

My daughter's dog was doing something like this about a year ago and it turned out that she had a problem with her hip dislocating. Vet said it would be very expensive surgery to correct the problem but, for some reason, it settled down again and has not happened since.
    Always best to get them checked though as sometimes their symptoms can be deceiving and you need to know what's going on with them.
    Best of luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Bring her to the vet immediately and get ready for surgery. It sounds exactly like my dog about 3 weeks ago, all happy and one day she was limping but not in any pain. Brought her to the vet and they had to replace her cruciate ligament.

If they don't identify and fix it within a few days, the chances of surgery working reduce by about 75% depending on what type of dog and its age.

By the sounds of it, she ruptured her cruciate, that can happen when the hind legs experience a sudden stop, exactly like bouncing on a trampoline. I doubt the fall had much to do with it, unless you heard audible yelps from her.

Bottom line, get her checked today, tell them you suspect a ruptured cruciate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Check her nails beds for blood, right down to the quick. She might have ruptured one.

Hi teacherspet,Ruby is a boxer...i rang the vet and i have appointment at 5.20 so ill keep ya all posted ;)Hopefully its not her cruciate ligament

I agree with ya murraymarmalade ruby is a like my baby she is goin to the vet today:D

Hi all well not long back from the vet...dey seem to tink rubys knee is slighty inflamed..they checked her over and gave her an anti inflamotory injection...she is to have complete rest for a week complete her antibiotic and if symptoms dont disappear bring her back and they will x ray her next week..she will go stir crazy now she loves her walks !!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

ok chick......you did the right thing. best wishes :)

Advertisement