Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance that covers bike and car?

• 24-05-2010 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm a biker of old looking to return to the saddle (for occasional commuting and weekend spins weather permitting). Is there a way of getting cover through a car policy? I have full licenses, 5 years NCB on car, 6 years NCB on bike (expired at this stage) and I don't want to fork out a grand on bike insurance.

Know of anybody who offers such coverage?

Thanks,
    Dec
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

You have to get seperate insurance for a car and bike.

There is no option of covering both on one policy.

You could get an online quote on the Quinn website to give you an idea of what insurance would cost.
    The bike you choose will have a big influence on the insurance cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭beams

P.C. wrote: »

You could get an online quote on the Quinn website to give you an idea of what insurance would cost.
    The bike you choose will have a big influence on the insurance cost.

Back in the day when Hibernian were still into bike insurance you could drive a bike covered by your car policy under the same conditions that you would drive somebody else's car (as long as you had a bike license and you weren't the legal owner of the bike).

Axa offer bike insurance (through Aon) to car policy holders but you have to be insured with them on the car already to get a bike quote.

Carol nash and Aon won't quote directly because my NCB has expired (on a Honda CBR954).

Adelaide gave a decent quote but still don't fancy spending the guts of a grand for something that i'll use only a handful of times (the summer days) during the year...

For the weekend rider, do you just bite the bullet and fork out the cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I believe Aon will gave a discount if you have a car policy with them also... but yea, no catch-all policy unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭bladespin

Aon and Carole nash offer discount schemes if you take both bike and car insurance with them, seperate policies I'm afraid though.

It's a pity because as far as I know nearly everyone who has a bike ahs a car too (could be just me) so any insurance company that offered that package would clean up.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Aon should give you a bike quote without a NCD. If you call again and get someone else chances are they will give you a quote. If they refuse to quote tell them to send it in writing so you can send it on to the insurance ombudsman. Most bike dealers will be able to give you an AON quote anyway.

If you buy a bmw i think they can arrange insurance through the dealer not sure about it tough.

AON give a discount if you have your car with axa.
    Quinn and Carol Nash give a discount if you have a car and bike policy with them.

Best way to bring the insurance down is to do an assessment with a trainer.
    Aon and Quinn will give discounts, not sure about the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Aon and Quinn will give discounts, not sure about the rest.

Quinn recognize Aon assessments, so its good for both. Adelade and Carol Nash won't. You need something like bikesafe or ROSPA certifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

beams wrote: »
    Back in the day when Hibernian were still into bike insurance you could drive a bike covered by your car policy under the same conditions that you would drive somebody else's car (as long as you had a bike license and you weren't the legal owner of the bike).

Axa offer bike insurance (through Aon) to car policy holders but you have to be insured with them on the car already to get a bike quote.

Carol nash and Aon won't quote directly because my NCB has expired (on a Honda CBR954).

Adelaide gave a decent quote but still don't fancy spending the guts of a grand for something that i'll use only a handful of times (the summer days) during the year...

For the weekend rider, do you just bite the bullet and fork out the cash?

This is true just paid for my insurance for the year 125cc scooter fully comp it was a whopping €60.20 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

EvilMonkey wrote: »

AON give a discount if you have your car with axa.

AON gave me a discount on my bike insurance because I have car insurance with someone other than AXA. All I had to do was send them a copy of my insurance cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

gipi wrote: »
    AON gave me a discount on my bike insurance because I have car insurance with someone other than AXA. All I had to do was send them a copy of my insurance cert.

That's interesting, i didn't know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

EvilMonkey,
    I didn't know about it either until renewal last year when the quote was a bit high (in my opinion...but they always are :) ) the AON person I spoke to asked if I had a car & car insurance, and it went from there!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Oh yes there is.:)

paddy147 wrote: »

Lets see four private insurance providers in Ireland that don't do it. You get discounts, but two policy's.

Trade then? Thought that was limited to the type of vehicle your working on?

Lets see four private insurance providers in Ireland that don't do it. You get discounts, but two policy's.

Trade then? Thought that was limited to the type of vehicle your working on?

I only have 1 policy and have my cars,jeep and bike covered on it,the bike being my Ducati 996.:)

I only have 1 policy and have my cars,jeep and bike covered on it,the bike being my Ducati 996.:)

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

your cloak and dagger covered by this mysterious policy too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Wossack wrote: »
    your cloak and dagger covered by this mysterious policy too?

martin insurance brokers is the closest thing to multi-vehicle i could find with a short google search, i left them a mail, should hear back on monday, i'll post info if they do cover for cars and bikes, they prob don't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Correct me if i'm wrong but on a trade policy you can drive anything ,car,van, jeep etc under the policy but you have to nominate AND pay extra for a bike , or you pay extra for each bike....
    I have seperate car and bike insurance and it works out cheaper than a trade policy....

So - which Irish insurance company will insure my car and bike on one policy?

Either there is one, and you will post up the details...

or...

you are posting porkies.

Ball - court - yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Dont be getting so ratty.........he's probably out on his bike in the sunshine....

If you pick up the Golden Pages or a copy of Buy and Sell you'll see Traders insurance in there some where...or do you want us to do that for ya too...:p

Its not a "secret club" or whatnot........:rolleyes:

FFS....HERE....http://www.campionins.com/content/general-insurance/motor-traders

beams wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm a biker of old looking to return to the saddle (for occasional commuting and weekend spins weather permitting). Is there a way of getting cover through a car policy? I have full licenses, 5 years NCB on car, 6 years NCB on bike (expired at this stage) and I don't want to fork out a grand on bike insurance.

Know of anybody who offers such coverage?

Thanks,
    Dec
    Sids Not wrote: »
    Dont be getting so ratty.........he's probably out on his bike in the sunshine....

If you pick up the Golden Pages or a copy of Buy and Sell you'll see Traders insurance in there some where...or do you want us to do that for ya too...:p

Its not a "secret club" or whatnot........:rolleyes:

FFS....HERE....http://www.campionins.com/content/general-insurance/motor-traders

Where in the first post did you read that 'beams' owns a car dealership?

There is no option for somone to get private car insurance and private bike insurance on one policy.

You are right - it is not a "secret club", mainly because it does not exist.

Oh, and I am not ratty - just don't like people posting bs.

• Advertisement

P.C.......Being ratty and calling people out w and accusing them of posting "bs" (as you call it), will get you nowhere.

Im not some snotty little kid,so dont even dare to talk to me in the manner you are.You are lucky Im even bothering to reply to you at this stage.So wize up.

1 policy covers all my cars (3),jeeps (2) and bikes (2 SP1 and 996,but now down to 1 at the moment,Ducati 996)

Im with Allianz.

P.S-Oh and yes,I do have a life and tend to be out with my girlfriend and family,especially on a lovely sunny sunday.And not be sat by a computer to respond immediately to some ratty smart ar5ed people.Oh and for the record,Im not a car dealer or dealership.
    Maybe if you had some cop on,got up off your ar5e and actually went and made a few phone calls and did your homework/digging around,you wouldnt be so smart and ratty in your postsI,ll leave you now to scratch your head and try and work it out.

Regards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Meow

P.C.......Being ratty and calling people out w and accusing them of posting "bs" (as you call it), will get you nowhere.

Im not some snotty little kid,so dont even dare to talk to me in the manner you are.You are lucky Im even bothering to reply to you at this stage.So wize up.

1 policy covers all my cars (3),jeeps (2) and bikes (2 SP1 and 996,but now down to 1 at the moment,Ducati 996)

Im with Allianz.

P.S-Oh and yes,I do have a life and tend to be out with my girlfriend and family,especially on a lovely sunny sunday.And not be sat by a computer to respond immediately to some ratty smart ar5ed people.Oh and for the record,Im not a car dealer or dealership.
    Maybe if you had some cop on,got up off your ar5e and actually went and made a few phone calls and did your homework/digging around,you wouldnt be so smart and ratty in your postsI,ll leave you now to scratch your head and try and work it out.

Regards.

Hahahaha

I will give Allainz a call in the morning, but don't think they will entertain me.

I do know that there are only four (4) companies that do private motorcycle insurance in the Republic of Ireland, and they are:

1.) Quinn
    2.) Aonn
    3.) Adilade
    4.) Carrol Nash

So, do you have private insurance, or is it some company/trade insurance?

Lets get this straight. If its either a Trade or Company policy, the insurance company is under no obligation to pay out to you for compensation and is entitled to go after you for the value of any third party claims if the purpose of your trip can not be directly attributed to your company or work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

quinn also give a discount if you have car and bike insured.. I think it's 10% on each policy

My policy is fully comp/complete coverage in any event,gives my full private/leisure coverage 24h a day,just to clear that matter up.Thats on car,jeep or bike,there are no restrictions on it.

Instead of some of you blabbing on about it and thinking that "you" know what my policy does or does not entitle me to do or drive,why dont some of "you" actually go and ring around and do your homework and research a little harder.

It aint rocket science.

Regards.:)

My policy is fully comp/complete coverage in any event,gives my full private/leisure coverage 24h a day,just to clear that matter up.Thats on car,jeep or bike,there are no restrictions on it.

Instead of some of you blabbing on about it and thinking that "you" know what my policy does or does not entitle me to do or drive,why dont some of "you" actually go and ring around and do your homework and research a little harder.

It aint rocket science.

Regards.:)

So, it is a company poilcy.

So, it is a company poilcy.

Eh........................................no

1-Pick up phone.
    2-Ring around,get and go through all insurance companies.
    3-Specify what you want covered and what coverage and extras or benifits you want.Specify any extra/named drivers too (like the missus)
    4-Get quote,pay via visa or with bankdraft.
    5-Sit back,relax and enjoy a nice cuppa tea.
    6-Go suss it out yourself instead of talking on and on here,when you dont really seem to be clued up.Because most of what you have said here is so far off the mark.

7-Regards and Adios,thats a rap for me.Its now up to you to suss it all out.so happy hunting.

P.S-being over 30 does help too..

Eh........................................no

1-Pick up phone.
    2-Ring around,get your contacts and remember them.
    3-Specify what you want covered and what coverage and extras or benifits you want.Specify any extra/named drivers too (like the missus)
    4-Get quote,pay via visa or with bankdraft.
    5-Sit back,relax and enjoy a nice cuppa tea.
    6-Go suss it out yourself instead of talking on and on here,when you done really seem to be clued up.Because most of what you have said here is so far off the mark.

7-Regards.

Done all that, and I got my insurance real cheap like.

Allianz still don't do motorcycle insurance.

• Advertisement

Done all that, and I got my insurance real cheap like.

Allianz still don't do motorcycle insurance.

Oh yes they do.;):D

Advertisement