Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance that covers bike and car?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

paddy147 wrote: »
    thats a rap for me.Its now up to you to suss it all out.so happy hunting.

Fvck yea, I love rap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

The bigger issue in this whole thing is the way the insurance companies treat us with total disdain.

When you think about it you insure your vehicle for 365 days, 24hrs a day. Now by charging seperately for bike insurance as well as a car policy the insurance company stands to make more money.
    But when you think about it logically from a risk point of view then the odds haven't changed one single bit. Why? Because you can't possibly drive your bike and car simultaneously -so that if you are driving one then the other must be in the garage and off the road.

So the insurance company is effectively dipping your pockets twice and as you must have insurance by law you are effectively powerless against how they dictate they sell it to you. If they want to rip you off and charge for 2 policies when they know well only one vehicle can be on the road at any one time then they can. And their backed up by the laws of the state to do this, in fact it is the state who coerces you into getting insurance in the first place through their laws.

That's the bigger issue here- there are loads of people like the OP who would love to have a bike in the garage for sunny days, rideouts, etc but then must pay through the nose to do so. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

RATM wrote: »
    ...when they know well only one vehicle can be on the road at any one time then they can.

I feel your anger, but there are complications that can hold back car/bike policies, what about named drivers? You're on the bike, the missus is in the car, both are being driven at the same time on the same policy. As for insurance discs, can you have 2 copies of the same one? (can't see why you ain't allowed, but there's prob some stupid law against it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Xios wrote: »
    I feel your anger, but there are complications that can hold back car/bike policies, what about named drivers? You're on the bike, the missus is in the car, both are being driven at the same time on the same policy. As for insurance discs, can you have 2 copies of the same one? (can't see why you ain't allowed, but there's prob some stupid law against it)

Named drivers are nothing they couldn't get around quite easily- if you have a car/bike policy and want to name a driver then you should pay a premium higher what it would be if you were insuring a car only. This would reflect the fact that the car and bike could be on the road at the same time.

What annoys me is that we are forced by law to have insurance. Now I don't disagree with that. But because you are forced into buying it there should be much tighter regulation that ensures companies do not rip off the public, which I feel they've being doing for years and continue to do so. There's one thread in Motors at the moment whereby a driver with no accidents and a NCB of 9yrs is being forced into paying a 34% increase in their premium- its simply ridiculous - they are getting punished for driving safely.

The outrageous thing is that that the laws of the land actually support private companies ripping off the public interest. The insurance market is yet another example of the 'light-touch' (or no-touch) regulation so favoured by the likes of Harney, McCreevy, et al and look at the mess that that policy has gotten us into..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Named drivers are nothing they couldn't get around quite easily- if you have a car/bike policy and want to name a driver then you should pay a premium higher what it would be if you were insuring a car only. This would reflect the fact that the car and bike could be on the road at the same time.

What annoys me is that we are forced by law to have insurance. Now I don't disagree with that. But because you are forced into buying it there should be much tighter regulation that ensures companies do not rip off the public, which I feel they've being doing for years and continue to do so. There's one thread in Motors at the moment whereby a driver with no accidents and a NCB of 9yrs is being forced into paying a 34% increase in their premium- its simply ridiculous - they are getting punished for driving safely.

The outrageous thing is that that the laws of the land actually support private companies ripping off the public interest. The insurance market is yet another example of the 'light-touch' (or no-touch) regulation so favoured by the likes of Harney, McCreevy, et al and look at the mess that that policy has gotten us into..

I also agree that the risk of having two vehicles shouldnt mean double the risk as in 2 policies....HOWEVER....sure you cannot drive both at the same time....but your car can still be robbed while you're out on your bike and vice versa. So I think paying just the theft cover (which we have no insight into) would be a fairer approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Having a named driver on the car policy actually reduces the premium for me, thanks wifey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭steviebg

Sorry for digging up an old thread but i'm on the brink of rejoining the biking community and was wondering can anyone back up paddy147's cliam?? With the budget just passed it's important to save a few pound, so before i start ringing around does anyone have a bike and a car on one policy?? If not what's the next company to go to? Oh and i'm over 30 and have a provo licence. Thanks all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

steviebg wrote: »
    does anyone have a bike and a car on one policy??

Paddy147 apparently does, but he seems to feel that a community-based discussion forum is not the place to ask him about it.

My best guess would be small fleet insurance(if you can get bikes covered), but it might not pay off if its just a bike and a car; it would probably only become economical with 4 or 5 vehicles covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..there have always been people who get deals from insurance companies.

For instance, at the start of the year insurance through a broker is cheaper, than at the end.

I remember years and years ago when Norwich Union pulled the Rider Policy, there was uproar. But through 'persistance' and 'application', every year I made it my mission, and I had it for a good.......10 years ?.....after it officially went off the market.

I remember one guy refusing to cover me on a Mazda MX-5 (Hibernian) as, 'they don't cover convertibles'. Nonsense, obviously, as the actual guy I spoke to in Hibernian drove a .........Mazda MX-5.

I remember another case of a guy with multiple cars on single policy. Company swore black-as-white there was no such facility. Turns out the client also had Public and Employer's liability with them, and they didn't want to lose that.........

So, insurance is never, really, black and white. At the end of the day, it's all about business: money. If it's in their interest to give it, they will. If not, they won't. If you have leverage, use it. If not...........er, well, sorry......but there's sweet f.a. you can do, really.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement