Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about options :(

Options
  • 24-05-2010 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello all, I was wondering if you could answer some of my questions.

I am currently in 2nd yr Arts studying Psychological Studies & Classics in NUIG. I currently get the grant & free fees.

Basically I absolutly hate my course. I see it as a huge waste of time & ask myself everyday why didnt I drop out in first year :( I have no interest in the subjects anymore & I dont want to do any kind of postgrad related to them.
    I really wanted to do undenom science in NUIG but changed my CAO at the last minute after the Leaving Cert & have regretted it ever since. Its too late to drop out as it would cost me 30 grand to go back & do the first 2 yrs of Science.

Basically I was going to finish Arts at 22yrs, then work or for two years & then go back @ 24yrs to do Science.

1) Just wondering what kind of grants, if any, I would get?
    2) Would it be possible to get the Back to Education grant as I would be out of the system for two years?
    3) Would I be able to apply as a mature student as I would be over 23? I heard you had to be out of the system for 5 yrs before you could do that though, not sure though.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

As far as im aware(and dont quote me on any of this) but you cannot apply to be a mature student with a degree under your belt already, i could be wrong there but i think i recall someone saying that to me.

I went back as a mature at 24 and i hadnt been out of the system anything close to 5 years so no worries there.

As for grants, i didnt and wont get a penny until third year because like yourself i had already done two years so it would seem if you want anything at all of your arts degree paid for and maybe even the option to do it as a mature in the first place you might have to leave the course youre currently in but tbh in no way does that seem like good advice to be giving someone. I can only imagine that my experiences aside a finished degree even if its one youre not too fond of is worth more then risking not finishing it if that makes any sense.

Im sorry i havent been more helpful but i hope you make the right decision anyway.

Advertisement