Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Gur Swimming

Options
  • 24-05-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why swimming is such a no no at Lough Gur. The water is crystal as far as I can see. Fair enough there may be some algae bloom around the banks but that wouldn't bother me. Someone has mentioned to me there are springs that can pull you down but I'm not sure. Anyone got thoughts / opinions on the issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

aside from the local folklore regarding a headless horseman taking a life every seven years, the main reason is there are some very strong hidden currents, extreme depths, partially submerged trees etc.. there have been a no. of deaths at the lake over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JimmyChew

^^ see above

I'm no expert but there's a lot of weed and submerged plant growth under the surface, my old man(not that old 56) never let us swim there when we were kids.
    My advice would be, if they say don't swim there then don't swim there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

There has been drownings here... and Im not sure if we are on the seventh year so could be risky! :rolleyes:

Theres no rivers or streams feeding the lake, hence eutrophication so the water quality cant be that good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

So frustrating, right on the doorstep and can't go for a dip there. Used to go to Dromore Lake/Bleach Lough but that the entrance was sealed off. Guess we'll just get a pool for the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

wingnut wrote: »
    Used to go to Dromore Lake/Bleach Lough but that the entrance was sealed off.

Dont quote me but i think theres a different entrance now.. in the same general area though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Where is that entrance? Used to Love it even brought a friend from the states there last year and was so ashamed the entrance was blocked. Typical, anyone know why that new house blocked the entrance, apart from not liking the factr of people parking there. I'm sure they have there own path down to the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

ill try find out.. you can also access dromore via bleach as far as i remember.. at the very back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Stab*City wrote: »
    ill try find out.. you can also access dromore via bleach as far as i remember.. at the very back.

Wheres this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Yeah there was another way in over an electric fence. I think they have done up and reopened the car park on the other side. Its a bit of a longer walk than the old way down but it would be a bit safer I'd say. The new place is primarily for fishermen, must go down and have a look.

I'm still going to chance swimming in Lough Gur.

@Limericklass - its in Kildimo, you turn at the De Bucket and its down along that road (two left turns IIRC).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

First off we used always swim in Lough Gur as Kids, was going to reply that it should be safe with a bit of common sense exercised - But I did step on the broken base of a Jam Jar and turn the Water Shark attack red - What kind of a W@nker throws glass in somewhere like that? Still remember the feeling 20 years+ later :mad:

- I was going to post re. Bleach Lough, the other day actually and forgot!

Could someone please explain if there's actual walks/Trails etc? Is it a good place to visit for a few hours on a sunny Saturday?

Is there safe swimming in clean water?

- Finally could someone please post directions of where to park your Car starting at the Mungret to Kildimo Rd turnoff!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I went canoeing on Lough Gur a few times and I have swam in the Lough once or twice. I don't see any problem with swimming in the Lough, exercise caution and you will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mantalk

Where is that entrance? Used to Love it even brought a friend from the states there last year and was so ashamed the entrance was blocked. Typical, anyone know why that new house blocked the entrance, apart from not liking the factr of people parking there. I'm sure they have there own path down to the lake.
    Mr Hickey, get your facts right before posting! The new house did not block the entrance, the land owner did and for very good reasons, and no we don't have our own path to the lake! With regards to parking, you to would get pretty peeved off if people were blocking your entrance and changing and urinating in front of your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

mantalk wrote: »
    Mr Hickey, get your facts right before posting! The new house did not block the entrance, the land owner did and for very good reasons, and no we don't have our own path to the lake! With regards to parking, you to would get pretty peeved off if people were blocking your entrance and changing and urinating in front of your house.

Well, my father has been bathing there since the 1950's and was very dissapointed he couldn't bathe there any longer. Lots of people from the area felt the same, and i will stick by my words it was a disgrace as the laneway was atr least 20 yards from the side of that house. As for people urinating and changing, thats where the local council could have interfered and helped create a parking lot and proper facilities but as I can guess by the anger in your tone that was out of the question.

Thank you for enlightening us about the landowner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Could someone please clarify this one?

- Both sides seem reasonable thus far - Failure on the part of Limerick County Council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mantalk

The closing of the laneway had nothing to do with the house being built there. Why are you trying to link the two? Go ask the landowner why he closed it.

Advertisement