Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how long does.. adjusted mayo keep?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

the other day i blended some regular hellmans mayo with chopped garlic and a big generous squeeze of lemon and it was amaaaazing -more of a sauce than a mayo after blending.

i'm wondering if i were to make a little jar full of it, how long would it keep in a refrigerator? would it last as long as regular mayo would anyway or would it need to be used in a few days?

thanks for advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

my threads in this forum always get plenty views but no replies!!
    and they are just straightforward honest questions..

*checks for cooties, bad breath or B.O. *

i guess i shall find out the old fashioned way, before the internet existed. make it, eat it slowly and see when i start to feel ill!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

LOL that's about right.

The whole question of how long food lasts is a difficult one. Hellman's mayonnaise itself lasts as long as indicated on the outside of the jar, e.g. 'keep refrigerated after opening and use within one month' or whatever.

Lemon juice, being acidic, can be a preservative. Garlic isn't. Then goes the question, will the preservatives in the mayo help preserve the garlic, or will the garlic mess up the mayo so it all goes off quickly? Who knows!

Make it, keep it in the fridge, and use your nose, your eyes and your tastebuds to judge whether it's still good to eat after a day, two days, three days, five days or a week. When it boils down to it, you could take a piece of chicken out of your fridge a day after its use-by date and ask us on here if it was safe to eat it. Fact is it might be, fact also is it might have been gone off three days before its use-by date - it's up to you to be that judge.

Advertisement