Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A boat over to Clare?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone running a boat service over and back across the bay to Clare during the summer? Would be great to put the bike in, pedal around the Burren for the day (or just drink & eat in Linnane's :D) and get a boat back over. And why isn't there a licensed water taxi on the bay by now? Knowing this country the licence fee would probably be exorbitant... :rolleyes:

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

Not that I know of. But I'm sure it could be arranged. Even if it was a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

jkforde wrote: »
    Is there anyone running a boat service over and back across the bay to Clare during the summer? Would be great to put the bike in, pedal around the Burren for the day (or just drink & eat in Linnane's :D) and get a boat back over. And why isn't there a licensed water taxi on the bay by now? Knowing this country the licence fee would probably be exorbitant... :rolleyes:

No, there's no service for this. You could however rent one of the charter boats, but I think you'll find it's a little expensive to drop you and your bike over to New Quay/Ballyvaughan for the day.

"Why isin't there a licensed water taxi on the bay by now" I see you ask. Simple lack of demand, and the fact that you'd probably be quicker driving to the likes of Ballyvaughan by car than passenger ferry. Oh, and did mention lack of demand? ;) But yes you have a point, insurance would be a massive overhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

Is there really a lack of demand? I've always it would be a fantastic idea, at least during the tourist summer months...
    Considering Galway Bay, the Corrib, the canals, Woodquay, etc Galways waterways seem seriously underdeveloped and under utilised.
    Almost every tourist to Galway hops on the bus to see the Burren, or takes the ferry to Aran. If there was a ferry/boat service to Clare and back, 2 or 3 times a day, I bet it would be full!
    And I think locals would take advantage of it too. It mightn't be as quick as driving to clare, but it would be something different, and you could hop on the boat, have a beer with you lunch, and take the boat back without having to worry about alcohol limits and driving...
    I've no basis for this really, but I though it might be insurance/health & safety that's stopping people from doing it more than lack of demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The problem is Galway city funnily enough. It is a key element on the trail so people pull inland from the Burren and around the bay before going to Connemara (or vice versa).

Compare with the Kerry/Clare route which is serviced by an estuary ferry. Tourists might check out Adare but Limerick city is not really established on the trail as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Many years ago Dolan Boats who were based in Woodquay used to operate two boats from the beach opposite the Galway Bay Hotel, they ran trips around the Bay and the Lighthouse and when the liners were anchored off Salthill they would run trips around them "Dont ask me my age". Sadly there are no boat trips from Salthill anymore which is a shame because if you had them last weekend they would be full up.

There was a guy from the Claddagh running trips out in the Bay last year but I have no details. I think there is a business opportunity there for some person, if you ran from Salthill to Ballyvaughan it would only take around half an hour, drop people off let them explore the area and pick them up in the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

What'd be reasonable to charge? Fiver each way/nine return or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I'd imagine the cost would be alot higher than that. Boats to Aran are about twenty quid. You'd have to take into account wages, fuel, cost of life jackets and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

dafunk wrote: »
    I'd imagine the cost would be alot higher than that. Boats to Aran are about twenty quid. You'd have to take into account wages, fuel, cost of life jackets and insurance.

Hmm, yeah, I think Island rate to Aran is as low as 8 quid tho, but that's for residents. The trip is 40-45 mins and a way bigger boat/more crew. It takes a lot of supplies over too. I was thinking of something like a water taxi, max 20 people. A similar journey in the States was about 5 bucks, ran 4 times a day.

I was more basing the price off the Tarbert/Killimer ferry (think it is about 6/8) ow/rtn but is about 20mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Without doing the numbers, I do have a gut feeling that a boat-service could be a go-er in the summer months: the bus ride to Clare is pretty bad, and Galway is a great base for tourists who are staying a little longer and want to explore in a range of directions. It'd be more expensive than the car ferry (since that's a totally different scale of operation).

Also, it's not quite a boat, but has anyone heard about progress from these lads: http://www.harbourflights.com/ ? They did test flights in April, but all's gone quiet since.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

JustMary wrote: »
    Also, it's not quite a boat, but has anyone heard about progress from these lads: http://www.harbourflights.com/ ? They did test flights in April, but all's gone quiet since.

You-know-who objected to it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

I've lived in Galway city for over ten years and always thought that Galway Bay sea activities were disappointingly limited.

Unless you're planning to hop on the boat to Aran there's no other affordable way of getting out onto the ocean really. While having the chance to live near the sea is fantastic, it would be great to have the option to get out on it more often too. I know there are wind surfing and sea kayaking options available but a service such as the suggested Galway-Ballyvaughan ferry would provide a much better view of the bay........ imo.

Even a Summer boat trip service of the bay leaving from the docks and returning again after a 30-45 mins spin around would surely be popular? I know I'd pay to experience something like that and I'm not a tourist!!

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

whoaa? in the city for 10 years and only joined boards this year?! better late..... ;) but I agree, the boat wouldn't have to be huge starting out, just above board (that pun came from port side)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

jkforde wrote: »
    whoaa? in the city for 10 years and only joined boards this year?! better late..... ;) but I agree, the boat wouldn't have to be huge starting out, just above board (that pun came from port side)

Yeah above board................and not in the least bit fishy! (that pun came from my sea b-ass!) heh heh :P

Only joined as a badger since this year as my long term account was messed up during the great boards hacking incident a few months ago......

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Even a Summer boat trip service of the bay leaving from the docks and returning again after a 30-45 mins spin around would surely be popular? I know I'd pay to experience something like that and I'm not a tourist!!

BB

This was happening last summer. Claddagh Charters, I think it was called. Haven't seen any sight of 'em yet this year though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

I have often wondered why there wasn't a little ferry going across the bay - would be great just for a day trip!

Advertisement