Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Music Getting Worse??

Options
  • 24-05-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Just to start off I'm not an 'oldie' I'm in my teens and this is not a thread where you start attacking people for having a different opinion to yourself.

You see I love old skool rap and classic rock and metal and jazz even classic and disco!! To be honest I love a bit of all genres ( except maybe heavy metal.)I like alot of modren songs but I see someone like Justin Bieber who to me seems like a 'cash cow' and I've noticed more like Jonas Brothers and anyone by Louis Walsh. Then alot of stuff sounds the same but I suppose thats everywhere.

But then I see Lady GaGa and other great songwriters and I think this gen of music is great so I was wondering what's your opinion? Because in all honesty I'm torn but I'd say the past wins out for me.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

But then I see Lady GaGa and other great songwriters

FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭CrashBandicoot Girl

Also I forgot to say could you tell me why you think it is or is'nt getting worse in your post!:)

FAIL

I said NO mention of differing opinions!:mad:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

FAIL

Name someone that can write as good a pop song as her at the moment?

Music is getting better imo. You just have to look harder to find it rather than giving out about there being no good music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lordgoat wrote: »
    My arse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Music is getting better imo. You just have to look harder to find it rather than giving out about there being no good music.

Who said pop was good? Pop is lowest common denominator when it comes to music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Seven posts in and we are into a slagging match already :rolleyes:

Guys, it's an interesting topic, if you want it to be.

I'm an old school guy myself, but something good and contempory always comes along now and then.

Also, there is no such thing as "good/bad" music.... that is in the ear of the beholder ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

There's so much great music in the world, and it just keeps on being made. I don't get the point in dividing between 'old' and 'new'... If you decide you only want to listen to old/new stuff, you're missing all the great things happening in the other bit.

Someone who complains about there being no good music isn't looking hard enough. There's a lot of rubbish pop music that's marketed all over the place, but if you go and look for music, all that stuff is such a tiny minority. Get into classical, get into electronic stuff, get into jazz, it's all still going on right now, and it's only going forward.

The way the music industry is going right now, there will HAVE to be a big change soon. It can't sustain itself this way. I've noticed a lot more 'good' bands (I say 'good' because I don't like them, but they're still putting more thought into their music than previous 'popular' bands) getting noticed, like Antlers, Foals, Crystal Castles. Maybe some bands with staying power might come out of this new trend for bands with decent music.

FearDark wrote: »
    Who said pop was good? Pop is lowest common denominator when it comes to music.

I'd say the majority of people who listen to music, listen to pop music. Go into any large music shop and what is the biggest section that sells the most records? I'd say the people that buy them and listen to it say that it's good.

Whether you like it or not, your snobbish attitude toward it is very misguided.

Also the beatles and michael jackson are well regarded within music i'm pretty sure most people would classify one or the other as being good or at least understand their importance.

My arse.

You should get it to bring out an album, maybe it'll be bigger than beyonce's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i would take a guess that if you could jump into dr who's tardis and zip back through the decades, this same discussion would be taking place no matter what era you landed in. music and its interpretation is subjective (probably) to the era its written in. Im sure when punk hit, people thought 'real' music was written by the beatles. when music went crap in the mid 80s, a lot of people probably preferred punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

You should get it to bring out an album, maybe it'll be bigger than beyonce's.

to be fair, more popular doesnt translate to being better. a fart concept album though ... hmmm

maccored wrote: »
    to be fair, more popular doesnt translate to being better. a fart concept album though ... hmmm

That's not my point though, my point is some people are afraid or don't like to recognise pop as a valid genre. Like it or not a good pop song is still one of the most difficult things to consistently do in music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Old Music > New Music

Why?

The filter of time. There was as much ****e back then as there is now, its just that the good stuff tends to have longevity

The fact that all the modern music you reference has the most mainstream artists possible means that you're a chart head. Nothing wrong with that, it just negates you from making any sort of credible comment on the state of music.

The charts is 90% a product of various marketing groups. Most of these people make shag all money because they're nothing but a pretty face. The producers in the background of most of these pop acts are wholly responsible for their ''sound'', and as such are very very rich men.

Through the opening of distribution channels and the overall democratisation of music production, you can now produce credible, radio-friendly records from your bedroom for about 2k.

If you were born in the generation you profess to love, you'd be stuck listening to Radio Caroline in about five glorious layers of static.

Go out there, do some proper searching on last.fm/pandora/google and come back in a months time if you want any sort of productive discussion. Otherwise its just you expressing an uninformed viewpoint with your fingers in your ears veiled as an open debate.

Like it or not a good pop song is still one of the most difficult things to consistently do in music.

Problem is that the charts have very little correalation with 'pop' music.

''Pop'' I'd deem a genre by itself, ''Popular Music'' a catch-all term for what people are told to like by the media.

Pop = Lily Allen ''The Fear''
    Popular Music = Jedward ''Ice Ice Baby Megamix''

But music being as subjective a thing as humanly possible, fair enough if you disagree. Just the way I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

But then I see Lady GaGa and other great songwriters and I think this gen of music is great so I was wondering what's your opinion? Because in all honesty I'm torn but I'd say the past wins out for me.

Musical snobbery will always abound. Back in the day (my day, the 1980's), the more popular something was, the more it should be despised and the more obscure something was the more it was vaunted by the musical elitists - OMG Dude, have you actually heard the Urdu throat singers of Usbekistaan, loike Beck totally samples them...etc etc.

Basically, what's good is good, ref Half Man Half Biscuit's Irk the Purists for more information.

The past will always win out because the past is a different country, and different countries are always more exotic.

Musical snobbery will always abound. Back in the day (my day, the 1980's), the more popular something was, the more it should be despised and the more obscure something was the more it was vaunted by the musical elitists - OMG Dude, have you actually heard the Urdu throat singers of Usbekistaan, loike Beck totally samples them...etc etc.

Yeah, but the problem is that the Urdu throat singers probably had some intrinsic quality and talent in them that people were able to see despite their unfamiliar approach to music.

The people who steal the main hook from their track, however, and then pay them a pittance and then spend a couple of hours rapping about b*tches and hennessy over it to earn a couple of million; they're the real criminals. So many great great songs have been absolutely mauled by mainstream acts sampling them.

(Conversely, turntablism and sampling in electronic music and proper hip-hop is about as creative an endeavour as you could hope to get into)
    The past will always win out because the past is a different country, and different countries are always more exotic.

Despite the MASSIVE 80s revival, the booming ''party band'' circuit, shows like Glee etc... ?

If anything, its a warm, familiar country. Very safe but with a complete lack of creativity.

Good music is good music generally because its produced by someone with musical ability. Very few chart acts have this, and hence need some serious producers behind them. You'll never see the likes of Girls Aloud doing an unplugged or acapella show. If they were able for this, they wouldn't be autotuned into near oblivion and have to lipsync a live show.

You can call them entertainers or whatever else, but they sure as hell ain't competent singers or musicians (even the ginger one, god bless her).

I'm not saying I do'nt like modren music I'm just saying I prefer for the most part old school music and whoever made the 'charthead' comment I'm using stuff in the charts in this discussion because that's what the majority of people listen to so that's what this discuusion was meant to be about. Old music that was in the chart vs. the newer stuff that's in the chart and new I'm looking at late 90's to 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Futureadvocate

Ladyhawke.

I'm not saying I do'nt like modren music I'm just saying I prefer for the most part old school music and whoever made the 'charthead' comment I'm using stuff in the charts in this discussion because that's what the majority of people listen to

The majority of people don't 'listen' to the charts, they 'hear' the charts as they're inundated with it. But hey, subtle distinction, fair enough.
    so that's what this discuusion was meant to be about. Old music that was in the chart vs. the newer stuff that's in the chart and new I'm looking at late 90's to 2010

Woah there horsey, you've changed direction a small bit. You started off by saying
    You see I love old skool rap and classic rock and metal and jazz even classic and disco!!

So I thought we'd take a look through the late 70s and 80s. But no, thats grand. Late 90s just makes my job that bit easier

Have a look through the Number 1s on the Irish chart for the late 90s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number-one_singles_of_1999_(Ireland)
    (Highlights -
    I Have a Dream/Seasons In The Sun - Westlife
    Swear It Again - Westlife
    Candle for Kosovo - Rain / Various Artists
    32 Counties - Dustin the Turkey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number-one_singles_of_1998_(Ireland)
    "C'est La Vie" - B*Witched (6 ****ing weeks)
    "Believe" - Cher
    "All That I Need" - Boyzone
    ''Doctor Jones'' - Aqua

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number-one_singles_of_1997_(Ireland)
    Con Te Partiro (Time to Say Goodbye) - Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli
    Mmmbop - Hanson
    Good Lookin' Woman - Dustin & Joe Dolan
    Barbie Girl - Aqua

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number-one_singles_of_1996_(Ireland)
    Aon Focal Eile - Richie Kavanagh (7 ****ing weeks)
    Man United Man - Men United
    Rat Trap - Dustin & Bob Geldof (3 Weeks, notice a pattern?)
    Spaceman - Babylon Zoo (Appalling song after first 40 odd seconds)

Now there was a lot of great great songs in this period, but I'm just concentrating on NUMBER ONES in the CHARTS as thats where you set the goalposts. Bet your internal nostalgia filtered out all this dross.

Over the list, they constitute a FULL YEAR taking up the number one spot on the charts.

Hands up if anyone knows where any of these ''acts'' are today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

J. R. Rotem
    Scot Storch
    Stargate
    Dr. Luke
    Butch Walker

These are the money making boys of the moment :) producers/songwriters doing the derulo/avril/rihanna/neyo/shakira/jordin sparx stuff ;)

Argh, I misread a bit of your post even though I quoted it and bolded it :rolleyes:

I'll be back to refute your claims at some point, but suggest you hit the wiki for number singles for the 70s, 80s etc...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i think music is getting better with technology, im into electronic music like early depeche mode, john foxx and human league etc u get the idea. . well back then they were limited to what they could do with synthesizers drum machines and recording gear etc . . .look at what we can do now with the music now a days !!!! the talent that is out there is amazing such as mr hudson ( well under read as an artist) lady gaga , take that ( no matter what people say gary barlow is a great writter he has wrote many songs for many artists such as shirly bassy) i find my self moving my leg or moving to a beat of a song because its written well or the music is great or what ever the case maybe,not who is singing it . . that doesnt really matter to me at all.i just admire the structure of the song!!! there are some ridiculous stuff out there but most of the sho*It is all a cash cow !!!! the mainstream artists are there to make money etc and drag as much fame as they can before their 2 or 3 year run dry out !!! im in to all shorts of music is unreal and i write music my self with diferent amounts of people and what we can do now is amazing let alone what the people that have the power in their hands to do
    im not sayin the likes of jedward are brilliant ( they are not :mad:) i think that short is bloody crap but again its all a cash cow thats the way things are these days !!!! that wnt really change to be honest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Music isn't getting worse. Kids are getting lazier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Regina Spektor, Passion Pit, Feist, Foals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

You do hear a lot of people saying "Ah music was much better years ago". I think some of that is definitely people being nostalgic. There is loads of good new music being made. A numbers of posters have mentioned good bands & made the point that you just have to look for them. That is true.

It'll be interesting to see in 10 or 20 years time, if there is a MTV Classics channel around then, will they play much music that was released this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Does Lady Gaga even write her own songs?

If she does I'm guessing it's the lyrics which in the most part are attrocious.

Does Lady Gaga even write her own songs?

If she does I'm guessing it's the lyrics which in the most part are attrocious.

Nah she writes the lyrics and music and wrote music for alot of other artists I believe:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

The only reason why old school is good is because all the crap back then has been filtered out and forgotten and all that's left is the greatest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Its on a downhill slope and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon. Every song is the same repetetive crap, especially with all these female artists. You hear one song about the bastard ex boyfriend or being a prick tease in a club, you've heard them all. Then you have these "kid stars" like that Bieber clown, who nobody over the age of 3 should be caught dead listening to (and nobody with a shread of musical dignity would have signed in the first place). Lady Gaga....I just don't get it, I really don't. Her songs are utter ****, she has the most irritating voice ever, and goes around wearing ridiculous outfits to appear like some kooky "artiste" - and she's famous for that???

Music on the radio isn't about music anymore...its all about money. And for that reason alone, you can't even class this as music. Real music is an expression of the artist, this is just cheap vapid karoake crap to make a few quid.

Advertisement