Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Music Getting Worse??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

DarkJager wrote: »
    Its on a downhill slope and shows no signs of stopping anytime soon. Every song is the same repetetive crap, especially with all these female artists. You hear one song about the bastard ex boyfriend or being a prick tease in a club, you've heard them all. Then you have these "kid stars" like that Bieber clown, who nobody over the age of 3 should be caught dead listening to (and nobody with a shread of musical dignity would have signed in the first place). Lady Gaga....I just don't get it, I really don't. Her songs are utter ****, she has the most irritating voice ever, and goes around wearing ridiculous outfits to appear like some kooky "artiste" - and she's famous for that???

Music on the radio isn't about music anymore...its all about money. And for that reason alone, you can't even class this as music. Real music is an expression of the artist, this is just cheap vapid karoake crap to make a few quid.

You're talking specifically about pop music though. As has been rehashed so many times, delve deeper and you'll be rewarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Kold wrote: »
    You're talking specifically about pop music though. As has been rehashed so many times, delve deeper and you'll be rewarded.

Exactly.

Even RTE have upped their game and have some brilliant digital/online stations like RTE Pulse.

If you listen to the lowest common denominator, what are you expecting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The amount of awful awful music put out in the 60's and 70's should be declared one of humanities greatest crimes. The good stuff is remembered the bad is forgotten. If I was to name the songs that were out when I was 14 or 15 (the 90's), to anyone that hadn't lived at that time it would seem like it was some glorious golden age for modern music, because I can remember dozens of great tracks but only a handful of the crap ones. That's all there is to it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭palethinboy

yeah there is just as much good music out now that there was in the past, it's just not mainstream. plus all the crap from times gone by has been left in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

FearDark wrote: »
    Who said pop was good? Pop is lowest common denominator when it comes to music.

RUBBISH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,665 ✭✭✭dasdog

None of us small islanders have sufficent exposure to really comment. There is an arguement for sports and music being a way out in the past that doesn't really apply these days. And the shít filter is useful not just for music but movies as well. What I don't want to see is an 80's revival because it was bad enough the first time. The tools available these days are incredible. I hope they are being put to good use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭pkumohideeile

strobe wrote: »
    The amount of awful awful music put out in the 60's and 70's should be declared one of humanities greatest crimes. The good stuff is remembered the bad is forgotten. If I was to name the songs that were out when I was 14 or 15 (the 90's), to anyone that hadn't lived at that time it would seem like it was some glorious golden age for modern music, because I can remember dozens of great tracks but only a handful of the crap ones. That's all there is to it really.

Seriously, could you post a few names of the crap ones and (hopefully) some clips or youtube links (if even possible, probably not) just to know what the crap was like? Call it musical appreciation, appreciating that there was crap aswell as gold. Ah go on, for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

My arse.
    FAIL

Over the top on the GaGa hate. There are a lot worse out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 login1

I don't think it's getting any worse , it's pretty much consistant, musical talent doesn't nosedive over a generation.

Also Lady GaGa is the biz

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Seriously, could you post a few names of the crap ones and (hopefully) some clips or youtube links (if even possible, probably not) just to know what the crap was like? Call it musical appreciation, appreciating that there was crap aswell as gold. Ah go on, for a laugh.

Fred Garrity - Freddie and the Dreamers.

Gary Puckett & his Union Gap

not sure if there's youtubes of these but there are amulitude of crap bands like these from the 60's. If there is someone's name in the band it's a pretty good indication of ****eness generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Not at all. Yeah, the majority of stuff you hear played on the radio is a load of balls, but there are some really great artists out there, that just don't get a lot of air time. You have to be willing to look for them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

I never got the whole 'music used to be so much better' arguement. If you look back to the 80s,70s , 60s sure there are celebrated albums, but theres also an unholy amount of dross.
    I've always thought the internet has played a big part in peoples preceptions of 'theres no good music anymore'- there is, but due to wider and new distrabution methods, theres a lot more of it, so you have to go through a lot of **** to get to the good stuff.

That made sense in my head :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Does Lady Gaga even write her own songs?

If she does I'm guessing it's the lyrics which in the most part are attrocious.

How could you even come up with this...??? There is no reason to think that whatsoever. :confused:

The people who hate Lady Gaga are stupid. They have no taste of their own and hate her only because they think they're supposed to because she's popular and has pop elements in her music.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

How could you even come up with this...??? There is no reason to think that whatsoever. :confused:

The people who hate Lady Gaga are stupid. They have no taste of their own and hate her only because they think they're supposed to because she's popular and has pop elements in her music.

I'm highly indifferent to Gaga but some people may legitimately dislike it. I can't put it on the level of hatred I may have for the Killers or the Black Eyed Peas who genuinely irritated me but I find very little to like about it. This 'people hate something because it's popular' is only a half truth spouted by lazy debaters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

No need to get your nickers in a twist. To say anyone that hates Lady Gaga is stupid, has no taste of their own and only hate her because she's popular is ridiculous. And to be honest just shows your immaturity.

If you like her fine, enjoy her music. And I've heard she puts on quite a show, which is great. But don't be annoyed if others hate her manufactured drivel that's aimed at 12 year olds.

Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

No need to get your nickers in a twist. To say anyone that hates Lady Gaga is stupid, has no taste of their own and only hate her because she's popular is ridiculous. And to be honest just shows your immaturity.

If you like her fine, enjoy her music. And I've heard she puts on quite a show, which is great. But don't be annoyed if others hate her manufactured drivel that's aimed at 12 year olds.

Each to their own.

i associate the term manufactured with the likes of westlife , boyzone etc , baschically , unoriginal and contrived , lady ga ga is nothing like this , she is thee most original and authentic ( mainstram ) artist out there at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

Lady GaGa is an absolute beast for churning out great pop tunes, seriously catchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

Ok - I'm not a Lady Gaga fan... but I appreciate her musical ability. She IS the real deal. I'll never forget how far my jaw dropped watching her perform an acoustic version of (the then unreleased) Telephone at the BRIT awards. She can really sing and play music.

Check it out (the piano bit, it goes downhill at the end):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G0yI46vfeY

In fact, if Gaga performed all of her songs in that style, I'd probably be a huge fan.

Advertisement