Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Certificate Technology

Options
  • 24-05-2010 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Wondering is anyone knows of any revision sites/revision books/has tips for the exam and/or project? I can't find anything for it. Doing the exam in 2011 and would love some help.

Thanks.

PS, I can't seem to find any other threads on Technology, but sorry if there already is one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The book by Grainne Enright [LC Technology] doesn't really cover the course that well. It is fine for the option questions but the rest of the exam it is pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

unknown13 wrote: »
    The book by Grainne Enright [LC Technology] doesn't really cover the course that well. It is fine for the option questions but the rest of the exam it is pretty poor.

Im not sure if there is anything that covers the course well though?:confused:

Book might still be the best shot and hope for the best IMO (Even though it is very simplistic about everything, makes me feel smart :) )

The book leaves out the Robotics option completely, but my school dont do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

The book is terrible to be honest :P Our teacher gave us his own typed up notes which is mch better than anything in the book.

seanbmc wrote: »
    The book is terrible to be honest :P Our teacher gave us his own typed up notes which is mch better than anything in the book.

The t4 notes by any chance?

• Advertisement

stainluss wrote: »
    The t4 notes by any chance?

I think it's a mix, he's been saying for ages he wants to write his own book :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Tell him to, the current book is utter ****e, doesnt really cover everything in depth and also the actual book falls completely apart, anyone else have this problem??

Crow92 wrote: »
    Tell him to, the current book is utter ****e, doesnt really cover everything in depth and also the actual book falls completely apart, anyone else have this problem??

Yeah we got replacements becuase ours were falling apart, but no teh replacements are falling apart :rolleyes:

stainluss wrote: »
    Im not sure if there is anything that covers the course well though?:confused:

Book might still be the best shot and hope for the best IMO (Even though it is very simplistic about everything, makes me feel smart :) )

The book leaves out the Robotics option completely, but my school dont do it

This information is so vague. I actually think you don't do technology but have glanced at the book or heard stories off your mates.

This information is so vague. I actually think you don't do technology but have glanced at the book or heard stories off your mates.

No, im using the book as it has infomation on levers, circuits and IT:rolleyes: It also has vital formulei:cool:

I didnt say i read all, there are many stupid chapters (e.g. Technology in Society)
    Me and my mates have better things to talk about than the quality of our reading material:p

If this is too vague for you, dont be afraid to ask for more info!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 AnneG93

My teacher is "not the best". He hardly ever is able to answer the questions we ask. He gives us notes from t4 but they're not that great either. Is there any other study notes available??

Oh and yes I completely agree about the book! It doesn't even cover some things and doesn't go into enough detail.. and it's completely falling apart :/

The Dept of Education should acknowledge that there is no decent way for Tech students to learn the syllabus properly! :P

Wondering if any Tech nerds can help me with this:

When making up simple sensor circuits with transistors:
    Resistance is HIGH in the dark, dry and cold
    Resistance is LOW in the light, wet and heat

So for all HIGH resistance circuits, the sensor should be at the bottom and the resistor/variable resistor should be at the top of the circuit (like when you draw it out)?
    And for all LOW resistance circuits, the sensor should be at the top and the resistor/variable resistor should be at the bottom of the circuit?

..Is that right?

AnneG93 wrote: »
    Wondering if any Tech nerds can help me with this:

When making up simple sensor circuits with transistors:
    Resistance is HIGH in the dark, dry and cold
    Resistance is LOW in the light, wet and heat

So for all HIGH resistance circuits, the sensor should be at the bottom and the resistor/variable resistor should be at the top of the circuit (like when you draw it out)?
    And for all LOW resistance circuits, the sensor should be at the top and the resistor/variable resistor should be at the bottom of the circuit?

..Is that right?

A transistor is used with them but I believe an LDR is used in that circuit.

A transistor is used with them but I believe an LDR is used in that circuit.

Yeah I know about the transistor bit :)
    I was wondering if the same principle applies to all three circuits, like all the ones with high resistance have the sensor at the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Unknown 18, welcome to Boards.

Please note:

1) Txtspit is not welcome on this site

2) Every user is entitled to their anonymity if they wish, please respect that.

Unknown 18, welcome to Boards.

Please note:

1) Txtspit is not welcome on this site

2) Every user is entitled to their anonymity if they wish, please respect that.

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 unknown 18

sorry i don know how t delete it anneg! i'm only new t dis site!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

unknown 18 wrote: »
    sorry i don know how t delete it anneg! i'm only new t dis site!

Ok, just to reiterate what randy said above, please do not use txt speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ConCoBar

I taught Technology in Liverpool in England but moved home to Ireland. I used Enright's book just to get the low down on the Irish curriculum for technology. We used an array of books for Design Technology. Having taught the Irish Technology syllabus for a while now the UK one is VERY similar. If you want good books for Technology go to http://www.lettsandlonsdale.com. They have excellent books for GCSE and KS3. This are not quite higher level leaving cert level but are still so far ahead of anything out there in Ireland at the minute.

Advertisement