Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiving German Channels

• 24-05-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi guys,

my friend and me were talking about getting German channels on our TVs.
    She was telling me that there is ann analogue receiver that you can get and that way you can receive any german channel you want for free. Is that true? You dont need a satellite dish do you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a Satellite Dish.

A Digital receiver gives far more free German Channels than Analogue Satellite receiver. There are very few Analogue channels left. They are all free on Digital too. Some German channels are PayTV only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,597 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Janine87 wrote: »
    my friend and me were talking about getting German channels on our TVs.
    She was telling me that there is ann analogue receiver that you can get and that way you can receive any german channel you want for free. Is that true? You dont need a satellite dish do you?

Satellite dish and digital receiver required, forget analogue if you don't already have an old analogue receiver hanging around as the channels will stop broadcasting in analogue in early 2012.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

The Cush wrote: »
    Satellite dish and digital receiver required, forget analogue if you don't already have an old analogue receiver hanging around as the channels will stop broadcasting in analogue in early 2012.

get a digital hd receiver as german hd is much better the uk's sky hd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But you need an HDTV too for HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

astra 19.2 with a 60cm dish will suffice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

This page will show you what's typically available:

http://www.flysat.com/tv-de.php

Most German content is from orbit 19E (column "Orbit"), and within 19E, you'll see that there is "Analog" (for analogue receivers) or frequency numbers (for digital receivers) in the "SR FEC" column.

Most if not all of the analogue channels are probably already in digital also, so as suggested, you're probably better off with a digital receiver.

If you're sticking with free-to-air, there are only a handful of channels in HD ("Mode" column), so it will be cheaper to get a non-HD receiver, and it may not be even worth getting a HD receiver if your TV isn't capable. You may even get a regular SD receiver for free or next to nothing from a friend or classified ads. A HD receiver probably only worthwhile in your example if you were going to pay a subscription to get German TV.

Advertisement