Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL Clan - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭shoveltooth

GOW2 all fronts collection 400 msps til 18th October

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭I use the name izambard here also.

Gave Medal of Honour another go today online and offline. I won't comment on how I felt about the campaign (a few levels in) as I don't really like First Person Shooter games offline as I find them terribly generic (maybe I just did?).

However online, I can now pinpoint what exactly I find wrong with it; it makes me want to play Battlefield. It's that simple. Everything I wish for in this game is an established feature in Battlefield B.C.2. For example, today when I was pined down by a sniper firing through a window, I found myself reminiscing about all the times this had transpired in B.C.2 and how I just simply took out the wall with an R.P.G. along with the sniper.

It's the things I miss about B.C.2 that identify to me that I do not find M.O.H. an entertaining experience. I know they are two different games and this is only my opinion but the elements M.O.H. lack compared to B.B.C.2 makes it a vastly inferior game. I should play a game for what it is but when I'm clouded by the thoughts of "well in B.C.2 I would have been able to do this", I know it's not for me. I will plough on, probably for a very short period just to see if I can find any redeeming features. The only reason I won't be trading this in? Battlefield 3 Beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I agree with Moose, the game is slightly under the rating of mw 2 and battlefield.
    I really got into it after a few hours, here's what I noticed in my first few games, I didn't have a clue where shots were coming from and was i was dying in a hale of bullets every 2 seconds. The game seemed lightning fast.

After a while it seems to slow down and you decide to stop running into certain death. Once you start playing as a team it becomes very enjoyable. Also getting to know the maps really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

It will keep me busy up until the Vietnam map pack comes out for Battlefield. I have to say I was really starting to get bored with Battlefield the last few weeks. I just hope its more than 2 or 3 maps we get, but I doubt it.

Also with the online game in MoH they can always take note of the user reaction and make changes with updates as needed. Hopefully there will more a date set for new maps made public soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I could also really use another map or 2 in battlefield

• Advertisement

... I have to say I was really starting to get bored with Battlefield the last few weeks...

This is what I am talking about. Irish you say you got bored with the Battlefield Maps in the last few weeks but how long were we all playing these maps before we got bored? These maps were exploratory. I got bored with the M.O.H. maps last night. I know that is a rash judgement but I really did. I can't see how the maps can be played differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

It will keep me busy up until the Vietnam map pack comes out for Battlefield. I have to say I was really starting to get bored with Battlefield the last few weeks. I just hope its more than 2 or 3 maps we get, but I doubt it.

Also with the online game in MoH they can always take note of the user reaction and make changes with updates as needed. Hopefully there will more a date set for new maps made public soon.

I would imagine that there'll be new maps/weapons/modes available for MoH MP out around the same time as Black Ops gets released. That would make sense, wouldn't it?

I really hope Dice aren't going to pull a BC2 on it and slowly release everything over the next six months that should have been in the game from the beginning!

Think I feel a bit like Royal does about BC2. The spark went out of it for me once I hit Lvl 50. I enjoy playing it with you guys but if none of you are on, I get bored really quickly playing with randomers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

+1 I started getting bored once i hit gold, been on lvl 48 for a month now I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

i played moh lastnight after work with ye and then when ye went off by 3 i turned it off at half 3. i was finishing up below at work at half 1 thinking id get a good all nighter on it as i wouldnt get to play it for another week. come half past 3 i was half bored and didnt bother playing on for much longer. its spawn run shoot die. the objectives arent great either
    im half glad i didnt buy it now.

its not as fun as battlefield is either. the whole squad thing with ye made it a laugh and you feel more in the game with cos we work more as a team. in moh its just run. teamwork isnt as good because you cant help team mates in anyway with health or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

I think I'll be returning to Battlefield sooner than I thought. Just tried out the MP again for a while and all it did was put me in bad mood!:rolleyes:
    You could put it down to my lack of skill but that never stopped me enjoying BF. I cant see Dice fixing this with a few patches to be honest. Its just that I don't enjoy what it offers on a basic level. My time on the MP is going to be very limited. Hopefully Dice made a shambles of this due to the amount of time they are dedicating to BF Vietnam,map packs for BFBC2 and BF3!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

cycocycle wrote: »
    I think I'll be returning to Battlefield sooner than I thought. Just tried out the MP again for a while and all it did was put me in bad mood!:rolleyes:
    You could put it down to my lack of skill but that never stopped me enjoying BF. I cant see Dice fixing this with a few patches to be honest. Its just that I don't enjoy what it offers on a basic level. My time on the MP is going to be very limited. Hopefully Dice made a shambles of this due to the amount of time they are dedicating to BF Vietnam,map packs for BFBC2 and BF3!
    Unfortunately I doubt it

I think I'll be returning to Battlefield sooner than I thought.
    +1
    Just tried out the MP again for a while and all it did was put me in bad mood!
    +2
    Broken joypad anyone? :D
    You could put it down to my lack of skill but that never stopped me enjoying BF.
    +3
    I cant see Dice fixing this with a few patches to be honest. Its just that I don't enjoy what it offers on a basic level. My time on the MP is going to be very limited.
    +4
    Spawn die x 5 minutes
    Hopefully Dice made a shambles of this due to the amount of time they are dedicating to BF Vietnam,map packs for BFBC2 and BF3!
    Hope so too... but doubt it :(

Completely missed this on my radar... just popped up on Joystiq, anyone know anything about it?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/16/spec-ops-the-line-beta-sends-out-more-invites/

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Completely missed this on my radar... just popped up on Joystiq, anyone know anything about it?

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/16/spec-ops-the-line-beta-sends-out-more-invites/

Saw this a few months ago but didn't realise a MP was planned. The campaign is set in a gulf state in a city that has been abandoned and is being overtaken by the desert. I assume it will feature some near future tech and weaponry. The mission I think involves the pursuit and capture of an army officer gone rogue who has established a mini state in the city. Shades of "Apocalypse Now" (great movie) or "Heart of Darkness" the novel on which it's based. It's a game that I was looking out for due to it's interesting storyline, a good MP might make it a sleeper hit.

On quiet reflection today, I surmised that if a 'swear jar' had been in situ in my place of abode, my current financial status could easily be comparable to that of Anglo Irish Bank. The reason for which being the profane language, spewed forth from my aghast mouth during extended and frustrating experiences with Medal of Honour's online mode. I apologise to all for this seemingly barbaric transformation of my conscience thought.

I still can't f'king tolerate M.O.H. though. Spawn, I f'king die, run, I f'king die, hide, I f'king die, shoot, I f'king die, I die and I f'king die. All I do is f'king die! I came back from the dead so many f'king times Jesus himself would be interested in the f'king technique. I am the f'king M.O.H. messiah. I am John Travolta's f'king career.

Eloquent, am I not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

On quiet reflection today, I surmised that if a 'swear jar' had been in situ in my place of abode, my current financial status could easily be comparable to that of Anglo Irish Bank. The reason for which being the profane language, spewed forth from my aghast mouth during extended and frustrating experiences with Medal of Honour's online mode. I apologise to all for this seemingly barbaric transformation of my conscience thought.

I still can't f'king tolerate M.O.H. though. Spawn, I f'king die, run, I f'king die, hide, I f'king die, shoot, I f'king die, I die and I f'king die. All I do is f'king die! I came back from the dead so many f'king times Jesus himself would be interested in the f'king technique. I am the f'king M.O.H. messiah. I am John Travolta's f'king career.

Eloquent, am I not?

im the same even though ive had a half decent kill death ratio all i feel im doing is dying. the maps are tiny. i havent seen a decent size map yet. it doesnt catch my attention like battlefield does. very unhappy with it. as i can see so far 3 of us will be returning to battlefield fairly shortly. i found theres no decent cover in the game at all. i also forget to aim for the head and mu bullet whizzes over them when i play as recon by an inch:(

Eloquent, am I not?

So, are you admitting that everyone else is better at this game than you then??? ;)

So, are you admitting that everyone else is better at this game than you then??? ;)

Undoubtedly!

Undoubtedly!

Only messing with ya. It happened to me yesterday too. It seems to take me a game or two to settle in or something. My first game yesterday was 0/8, second 2/9... third 17/9... I felt like puching the screen after the second game, so I completely understand. I'm gonna stick with it for a while, I have a suspicion that I'm not playing it as it's meant to be played. Time will tell.

As a matter of interest, how many of you use the INVERTED look option. I do but I don't know anyone else that does.

Think it might be from playing flight sims back in the 80's. Anyone else remember Apache Gunship? God, I loved that game, wish they'd release an updayed version of it for the 360.

• Advertisement

...I have a suspicion that I'm not playing it as it's meant to be played. Time will tell.

I agree with you on this Moose and will add that I find that no one is playing the game as it's meant to be played. No matter what the scenario in multi player it just feels like a death match. Players don't seem to care about the common goals. This may change in time but I'd rather spend that time playing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

i think i will be going back to battlefield a lot earlier than i thought.i realy like the single player its very polished, great detail the sound of the guns is unreal.I have not finished a single player game in a long time but i will be finishing this.

the multiplayer to me is a let down i thought it would be a a lot like battlefield,but its more like cod with every one running like all over the place and its very fast paced game.

i played with cableguy and fail safe lst night and the amount of time i got killed was unreal i spent longer in the loading spawn screen than i did actually game.

i had not planed on geting black ops but i wll be geting it now as i will not be playing much of medal of honor ounce i have the single player finished.
    i looked back at the reviews that where out before the game was released and there where pretty much spot on in my book.

for garv:not liking medal of honour muliplayer

It may seem unfair to compare Medal of Honor to BC2/MW2 (as it was to compare them to each other), but it's hard not to when so blatantly "borrows" from both.

The single player is very derivative of Call of Duty (which was in turn derivative of Medal of Honor of old, but that's another story). So while it does take influence from Call of Duty (almost copyright infringement in some places), it never really has the same impact. Anyway...

It's probably the most unbalanced multiplayer I've ever played. I think it's the level design. The levels are either too small or too overcrowded; either way it leads to a huge sense of claustraphobia.

Often the objectives are too close to one or other of the spawn points, so one team is instantly at a disadvantage. In this situation, it just feels like you're facing a huge deluge of opposition. The match degrades into spawn camping, even if you're not aware of it. Although this is often a concious decision by players, this game seems to lean towards it, and you occasionally find yourself spawn camping because it feels like this is how the game should be played. This isn't helped by the fact that on some of the maps, there may be a clear view straight into the spawn points. Sit there with an M60 and watch your score climb.

Even disregarding the objective locations, the levels do favour one or other of the teams. Too many choke points, or the opposition clear view right down to your spawn points. If you're on the disadvantageous side of this, you will die. A lot. An when this happens, you never really find your feet in the match and a lot of frustration sets in.

Also, the aiming and damage could be a lot more forgiving. Again itjust seems out of balance. I've emptied entire clips at people, only for them to hit me a couple of times and I die. This could be down to lag, but I've never had lag problems to that extent. If you're off by a single pixel, you miss.

MoH multiplayer, then, is a victim of it's own ambitions. Not sure what EA were aiming at here... the aspects it borrows from BC2 are vastly inferior to BC2; likewise for MW2. In trying to be MW2 and BC2, it's just not as good as either. It doesn't matter what way you look at it...
    MoH = BC2 + MW2 [fail]
    MoH = MW2 + BC2 [fail]
    MoH = MoH [fail]

We all play games for one reason - entertainment, with the enjoyment this brings. This game has neither. At times I feel like tearing my beard off, to save me from throwing the joypad at the screen (beards are free, joypads are €35).

I'm hoping the game gets some patches, updates and new (free) maps. Maybe the online part needs to settle a little, find where it lies, then the multiplayer will get better.

I'll stick with it, but I will be playing BC2 more than this.

I agree with you on this Moose and will add that I find that no one is playing the game as it's meant to be played. No matter what the scenario in multi player it just feels like a death match. Players don't seem to care about the common goals. This may change in time but I'd rather spend that time playing something else.

I'm going to have a bash at it today but play as if my own life was on the line. Be way over-cautious, glue myself to walls, never expose myself*, perhaps even camp a little and see if that makes a difference.

At the moment I'm relying on my cat-like reflexs and charming personality but I'm still dying way too often! ;)

*if only there was an "expose yourself" button, imagine running around a corner to be confronted by a guy in a beige raincoat, flashing you! +10 gamerscore achievement "LOOK DOWN AND YOU'RE GAY!" :D

As a matter of interest, how many of you use the INVERTED look option. I do but I don't know anyone else that does...

O Moose, you're so crazy!
    naughto wrote: »
    ...i looked back at the reviews that where out before the game was released and there where pretty much spot on in my book.

I know exactly what you mean. I didn't read the reviews for M.O.H. as I wanted to make up my own mind but if I had read this http://www.destructoid.com/review-medal-of-honor--2, it may have saved me the bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

hve two questions

when is the betta for battlefield 3 being realesed??

and when does the vietnam download for battelfield 2 out??

O Moose, you're so crazy!

I was simply trying to figure out why I can't play with the default look setting and trying to see if there's a reason for it. If someone else had a similar introduction to gaming and also used inverted, then it might explain it.

Today, I'm going to try and get the gf into playing the 360. She's tried before but doesn't like the thumbsticks control, as she used to play alot of Sonic on the PS1, years ago. Going to start her off on Fable 2, should be easier for her to get used to than a FPS. Any ideas/tips would be appreciated.

hve two questions

Early next year, I believe. Probably around the same time as BC2 was released.

Sometime in December is the release date for the Vietnam expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

hve two questions

The beta would be next year some time.

Nam would be December cant see them releasing it yet what with MOH and dice did that as well so they will wait a while.

• Advertisement

Ace Hole wrote: »
    ...favour...
    Nice touch.
    hve two questions

Not soon enough!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement