Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL Clan - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Ace Hole wrote: »
    Any other tips/tweaks for making my Live connection a little faster?

I find shouting foul language at my router usually helps. But thats just me. I also used to kill people on Battlefield just by staring at them.

I have a digiweb connection and its great most of the time, except for a couple of occasions when it will be down. But comparing it to my neighbours Eircom connection, which at its best is very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

was playing MOH last night and i really enjoyed it as cableguy has said already normal mode is much better(for the moment anyway)
    i'm starting to get the hang of it have to move quick and under cover most of the time because snipers are watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Rush 2049 - loved this game. Played it for days.

Need advice from people. Use eircom for my broadband, 3MB bundle. I'm considering upgrading to 7MB broadband. The upload speeds would stay the same ("up to 384kbps"). How much of a difference would it make? Any other tips/tweaks for making my Live connection a little faster?

iam with vodafone 38 euro a month for a 8 mb line(geting about 6mb) only got it set up a few months ago but ive never had any problems with it.id look in to it if i was u its cheaper that eircom even thought its the same line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

To be honest, you need very little download and upload speed to run xbox live, aprox .06 meg up and down is kinda normal speeds used, unless you're downloading movies or demo etc. Seriously, it really uses that little! Unless you are hosting a match, then you'll need a substanial amount more. However, it seems that most games are getting dedicated servers these days, to try and combat cheating.

What's far more important is your latency (ping) and the QoS (quality of service) provided by your internet service provider. Latency is how quickly the data goes from your end to the server and back. QoS is how solid the connection is, basically. I've done a lot of research on this over the last few weeks and here's my conclusion:

Although XBL does use TCP data transfers at some stages, all online play traffic is routed by the UDP data transfer technology. UDP doesn't use DNS servers or require confirmation that the information sent was actually received, therefore, it's a faster way to transfer data over the net. It won't hurt picking a faster DNS server to use but there's no proof that it'll actually speed up your XBL connection. I recently upgraded my DNS to Google's public (free) one 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 and I genuinely felt like it improved my XBL connection but I can't back that up or figure out why.

So, all I can recommend is that you make sure that you have all the correct ports open on your router, make sure your router is refreshed regularly.

Test your service out at both of these sites: www.irishisptest.com & www.pingtest.net If it's not up to scratch, then change your provider.

Upgrading your speeds would be a waste of your money, if it's only for XBL that you intend upgrading it for.

Spend some money on a decent, programmable router. I highly recommend the Linksys WRT54GL. Bought mine on ebay last year. It's been around a long time but it operates a linux firmware which can be easily replaced. I replaced mine with Tomato firmware (it's free) because it allows me to shape the traffic through the router and give my xbox higher priority over any other devices connected to my network. Very useful if the gf insists on using her laptop when I'm playing.

Finally, for the best possible connection, make sure nothing else is connected to your network when on XBL ie. turn off bittorrent/P2P, skype, messengers, itunes, limewire... in other words, anything that can potentially use bandwidth or delay the sending or retrival of your data over XBL.

So, there you have it. If anyone happens to know how to speed up UDP data transfers, please let me know because, as far as I can figure out, there's nothing that can be done to improve it.

dunworth1 wrote: »
    was playing MOH last night and i really enjoyed it as cableguy has said already normal mode is much better(for the moment anyway)
    i'm starting to get the hang of it have to move quick and under cover most of the time because snipers are watching.

looks like ill have to give this another go from what ye are saying.iv a lot of sh1te to get done before friday so i dont no how much time ill be online tis week and i am geting stuck in to assin creed as well.

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »
    looks like ill have to give this another go from what ye are saying.iv a lot of sh1te to get done before friday so i dont no how much time ill be online tis week and i am geting stuck in to assin creed as well.

I just posted this on the other thread, thought it was this on this one.

"Gonna be playing MoH tonight, not BFBC2. Seriously getting a real taste for the game now. Starting to die less and less all the time.

Kinda hard to explain how my playing style has changed to suit it but it kinda reminds me of the days when I used to play Rainbow Six 3 & Rainbow Six: Black Arrow on the original xbox and to a lesser extent the more recent Vegas 1&2. Do something stupid that you wouldn't do in real life in the exact same situation and you'll get punished for it!

Adopting a more careful, less aggressive approach seems to be paying off. My K/D ratio is currently exactly the same as in BFBC2! That surprised me, thought it'd be a lot worse"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Hi guy's.

I'm Playing the mountain level at the moment I'm behind cover with my buddies and there is a mounted machine gun " on my twelve " shooting down on us. My buddies are telling me to hold position and to cover them. It doesn't matter how many rounds i shoot at the gun emplacement nothing happens. Is this a glitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I am really liking MOH, it's such a tactical game. I always play team assault, it's much better than hardcore. Hardcore is just a bundle of mixed up matches, some which are like a poor mans battlefield BC 2 objective.
    you only get slaughtered when you run out in the open. I move cover to cover, never a straight sprint.
    I think it will take gamers a while to warm up to this type of gameplay.
    On Friday it was chaos.. 30 sumthing deaths and 2 kills lol for most of my matches.

#funny moment
    I was flying around a corner to knife lindsay when he had just launched an RPG, I cut the corner fast and ate a rocket right into the face, i got launched off the building ledge.

knives in this game are better than MW2 and Battlefield BC2.

I don't know what's going on... just not feeling MoH at all! Getting my arse handed to me!

"Hello Uncle Wil, I see you're playing MoH with us. Now if you could just bend over that rock... there's a good lad"

I'm gonna take Moose's FAILSAFE's advice and change my John Rambo playing style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Have to say I much prefer Team Assault instead of the Section Defending bit. Managed to push up my stats a bit till it went down to Me and Raze and 3 randoms against the rest of you guys and we were creamed, some people wouldn't even let us out of the corner. Managed to axe a few people last night and got a few kill streaks as well. Then the server messed up which was annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

I don't know what's going on... just not feeling MoH at all! Getting my arse handed to me!

"Hello Uncle Wil, I see you're playing MoH with us. Now if you could just bend over that rock... there's a good lad"

I'm gonna take Moose's FAILSAFE's advice and change my John Rambo playing style.

I'm loving MoH at the minute, easy kills, not to many deaths and always in the top two. However I've found to really get into the game, and really get you're bearings you need to play without IRL clan members, not to boost anybody's egos but if you're playing with IRL members you're consitently on edge, most of our members here are alot better than the general populus playing the game, and so you WILL die alot more.

My advice is simple, get good before playing with/against clan members or you will die........alot, and lose faith in the game you haven't even touched yet.

I played the morning it came out and already had my bearings when the other clan members began to play that day so the changeover wasn't too bad, as a result I'm max level in spec op's class with a skill level of 2489.

Still in saying that, if I'm playing against 2-3 IRL members with 0-1 on my side with teh rest of my team being even slighty decent I can be guarenteed to lose 60-70 skill per round.

In reference to playing the game, there's only two ways to play it.
    One, camp the **** out of one area and spray whoever flies past you.

Two, play hard and fast, super aggressive, unlike any form of play in BFBC2. This game is fast, the players aggressive, and to do well you must be the same, if not worse. Get those killstreaks up and use the support perks up until the jammer, then start using cruise missles, the A10 etc, and rake up the points.

Good luck, hope you find the style that suits you.

I camp the sh#t out of one area on each map. Usually some sort of choke point where alot of Taliban pass through and then I send them all to Allah and a rake of virgins with my M4. After about 2 or 3 kills I change my firing position, but still in the same area. They come looking for me, they cant see me, then BANG BANG off to Allah you go.

Am also having alot of fun with the IED/C4. Just laying one down and waiting for someone to pass, then BEEP.....BANG!!! and then I let out a little sneer on the mic as I run away.

I have a question for you's. I had a good game as a sniper earlier. I gave out 936 virgins and died the same amount of times as Micheal jackson. What was my kill death ratio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

tbh i only enjoy combat missions, if i start a game from the very start i'm usually very positive kd.

Maxed out the assault class today and moved on to the sniper with the battle rifle/combat scope/stock barrel/ammo upgrade... really loving that weapon now! Headshot or double tap to the center mass and it's all over. Plus it's extremely accurate at range too, perfect for counter sniping.

The pistol is extremely powerful within 10-15m, so starting to use that more and more.

Also loving the IED's against tanks in the combat missons, plant, wait for it to roll over it and KABOOMMMMM!!!! Sometimes it takes a suicide run to finish it off but that's a perfect time to practice my "AYAYAYAYAYYYYYAAAAAA" scream/wail :D

The fun factor of the game has increased for me over that last few days. I'm really enjoying it now, especially when there's other IRL members in the combat missions with me.

my brother has signed up

naughtoger is his game tag

And so the upgrades and patches are on the way! Nov 2nd for the first DLC and I believe there's a patch in the works too.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/19/free-medal-of-honor-dlc-adds-new-multiplayer-mode-november-2/

Awesome, looks like it's going to be a last man standing type of game mode, just like the old Ghost Recon's! Now that I think about it, MoH is like a first person version of Ghost Recon 2. Something similar about the way the game plays and is completely unforgiving to mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭I use the name izambard here also.

Played a few games of Medal of Honour earlier with Raze, Moose and Lindsay and I tolerated it a bit more. We didn't play hardcore but Team Objective, I think it's called and not that it was enjoyable, I felt it was a bit more playable.

Came across this earlier, http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=270605;
    new maps for M.O.H(with a u) along with a new game mode. Released on the 2nd of November, for free.

And so the upgrades and patches are on the way! Nov 2nd for the first DLC and I believe there's a patch in the works too.

Hive mind!

here's a vid of the new mode

http://video.thatvideogameblog.com/2010/10/19/208625/

4 minutes per round, best of three rounds and no respawns! That will get tactical!!! I remember playing Ghost Recon 2 on Team Deathmatch with no respawns and I loved it! Wonder how it'll play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭shoveltooth

4 minutes per round, best of three rounds and no respawns! That will get tactical!!! I remember playing Ghost Recon 2 on Team Deathmatch with no respawns and I loved it! Wonder how it'll play out.
    Is there a penalty for quiting early in the games ?

• Advertisement

Don't think so. But I also don't care!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

there should be other wise when you die you leave

Was worried when Dunworth mentioned it to me last night about this. Onslaught anybody. But seeing the video I am not that worried now.
    Like the bit where it shows you need to have used your one time card to avail of this. Wonder how much it would be to by if you got MOH second hand.

Was worried when Dunworth mentioned it to me last night about this. Onslaught anybody. But seeing the video I am not that worried now.
    Like the bit where it shows you need to have used your one time card to avail of this. Wonder how much it would be to by if you got MOH second hand.

It's definitely free! Would cost around €10 for the EA's online pass otherwise.

Upgraded the battle rifle with a supressor earlier. With the acog scope and ammo upgrade, it's lethal at medium ranges but has much less recoil so you can pump two rounds into them instantly without your second shot missing! Just scored 17:1, 25:3 & 32:8 on combat missions. However, it looses a lot of punch at distance so not great for counter sniping pr long range shots... next upgrade is the G3 battle rifle...

Wonder how it'll play out.

It will play out with me hiding in the nearest bush with a shotgun :o

Tried Camping in team assault last night and cant get used to it. Get bored waiting in position for some guy to maybe come around and I blast him. I go all out attack and it works in most games. Myself, Dunworth and Kev had a few games last night and proformed well. Then I stayed on when Lindsay joined and had a Mare. Steely Balls killed me a fair few times and I know he killed Lindsay as well must have heard what someone said about him,eh Lindsay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

Tried Camping in team assault last night and cant get used to it. Get bored waiting in position for some guy to maybe come around and I blast him. I go all out attack and it works in most games. Myself, Dunworth and Kev had a few games last night and proformed well. Then I stayed on when Lindsay joined and had a Mare. Steely Balls killed me a fair few times and I know he killed Lindsay as well must have heard what someone said about him,eh Lindsay.

haha shiney ballls yes my gf came in and watched me playing when shiney killed me and she started to laugh at how she liked his name then lifted the iron to my face squirted me with water laughed and said she wpuld make a good sniper and toddled off back to the kitchen. shes currently playing bfbc single player lol some laugh

edit she was playing the second level and i said to her "babe yoyr dying, your still dying" at this point she runs head first into the enemy horde spraying left and right screaming , "ahhhh" one of the team mates said "oh ****" to which she said "i agree" before getting mowed down by the heavy mg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

garv123 wrote: »

Mine cost me €175 almost two years ago, so €116 wasn't too bad, I suppose. Did you buy it? Great headset.

• Advertisement

haha shiney ballls yes my gf came in and watched me playing when shiney killed me and she started to laugh at how she liked his name then lifted the iron to my face squirted me with water laughed and said she wpuld make a good sniper and toddled off back to the kitchen. shes currently playing bfbc single player lol some laugh

edit she was playing the second level and i said to her "babe yoyr dying, your still dying" at this point she runs head first into the enemy horde spraying left and right screaming , "ahhhh" one of the team mates said "oh ****" to which she said "i agree" before getting mowed down by the heavy mg

I seen your gamertag was playing single player on battlefield. I suspected it was your missus and was going to invite her to party chat and give her the third degree and ask her do you ever wear your murse uniform in the bedroom. Was she ever a miss Antrim? The IRL clan will only party chat with ex beauty contestants. Miss Offaly being the last.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement