Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL Clan - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

It all just seems to be; run run, hit hit, dodge dodge, save some one to help level up, why should I care, I actually don't care, o look I can kill with a bin, I now don't care I can kill with a bin, is my child a zombie yet! All this whilst the 'Count Down' theme plays in my head. I know that seems simplistic and I'm sure the game is layered but I don't care. Dunna, dunna, dun dun dun dooooooo!

battlefield badcompany 2.

shoot someone
    die
    shoot someone
    team killed
    arm charge
    team killed
    spawn
    team killed with smoke grenade
    shoot someone
    die
    team kill cableguy
    win
    win
    win
    team kill cableguy x2

cant say battlefields doesnt repeat itself too:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭I use the name izambard here also.

garv123 wrote: »
    battlefield badcompany 2.

shoot someone
    team kill cableguy x2

cant say battlefields doesnt repeat itself too:D:D

Indeed but what I'm suggesting (and I could be completely wrong) is that at it's core Dead Rising 2 can be seen as linear. Yes, as has been explained, there are a number of ways to play out the scenario but the fact remains all it's elements are predetermined (although with healthy scope for voluntary adventure). Battlefield online on the other hand by it's very nature creates a landscape of war that is unique every time due to human interaction. The objectives remain the same but game play can totally differ lending itself to a whole new experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Completed Dead Rising Case Zero today. Finished with A rank. And yes Ienjoyed it . Think it was well worth the points.
    Ok it's not rocket science you kill zombies and save people.
    But if you liked the first one you know what your in for. Now to start Dead rising 2.

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-loses-spine-drops-taliban-from-medal-of-honor-185369.phtml

Out go the Taliban from M.O.H. Again video games are treated as if they are trivial play things for kids only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-loses-spine-drops-taliban-from-medal-of-honor-185369.phtml

Out go the Taliban from M.O.H. Again video games are treated as if they are trivial play things for kids only.

they are doing it in respect for the families of the lost soldiers.

• Advertisement

dunworth1 wrote: »
    they are doing it in respect for the families of the lost soldiers.

I can't understand this point of view. Television, films and most other forms of entertainment are able to portray real life villainy. Video games again are being trivialised as mere play trinkets for the less informed. We've had Nazis, the Viet Cong etc., where does one draw the line?

its because it a video game that makes it different you are actually acting it out which makes it a more sensitive matter where as on films and tv your just watching it.

its because it a video game that makes it different you are actually acting it out which makes it a more sensitive matter where as on films and tv your just watching it.

I see your point but I really think that it's distorted logic.

i do see where your coming from it wouldn't bother me if the Taliban were in the game but for some people it affects them mentally and they would believe that its ok to kill the soldiers (hope that makes sense it does in my mind i find it hard to get points like these across in text)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

This looks pretty cool. Its getting pretty good reviews.Will probably pick it up.

• Advertisement

i do see where your coming from it wouldn't bother me if the Taliban were in the game but for some people it affects them mentally and they would believe that its ok to kill the soldiers (hope that makes sense it does in my mind i find it hard to get points like these across in text)
    You make perfect sense but you also reaffirm my point. Why is it ok to kill members of the Taliban? Why not take the coalition soldiers out? Can you see where I am coming from? In the single player game you play from the point of view of American soldiers. There is no option to play the campaign from the view point of the Taliban where the objective is to kill coalition forces. The Taliban were taken out of the online multi-player game, where traditionally both opposing sides represented in the game itself are playable. Multi-player games are purely player created mayhem with no relevant connection to reality. It's never ok to kill but as adults we understand entertainment. Online multi-player gaming is just entertainment like any other medium.

cycocycle wrote: »
    This looks pretty cool. Its getting pretty good reviews.Will probably pick it up.

Played a bit of the demo last night admittedly it was about 2 in the morning and it didn't do anything for me. Will play more shortly but not impressed with it yet.
    Any way some good games coming out this month as well as MOH there is Fallout new Vegas and Fable 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Played a bit of the demo last night admittedly it was about 2 in the morning and it didn't do anything for me. Will play more shortly but not impressed with it yet.
    Any way some good games coming out this month as well as MOH there is Fallout new Vegas and Fable 3

Too many good games coming out at once, unfortunately. Between Fable and Fallout, that's probably 100+ hours of gaming, minimum. Then add in MoH/Black Ops multiplayer... why would they not just space out the major releases a bit more over the course of the year??? Surely, each game will impact on the sales figures of the other games coming up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭shoveltooth

Too many good games coming out at once, unfortunately. Between Fable and Fallout, that's probably 100+ hours of gaming, minimum. Then add in MoH/Black Ops multiplayer... why would they not just space out the major releases a bit more over the course of the year??? Surely, each game will impact on the sales figures of the other games coming up to Christmas.
    As a person who never buys games at their release dates ( halo reach is an exception), it doesn't really affect me much at all.
    There's no question that I will buy these games at some point in the future though provided the reviews are up to standard

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Enjoyed the demo I have to say. Enough to tempt me in to buying it.

As a person who never buys games at their release dates ( halo reach is an exception), it doesn't really affect me much at all.
    There's no question that I will buy these games at some point in the future though provided the reviews are up to standard

For these games I don't need to see a review will be pick them up regardless.

cycocycle wrote: »

Holy crap! Having read up on this game (completely stayed off my radar) I see that it's loosely based on Journey to the West, one of the four great classical novels of Chinese literature, that also served as the basis for this:

If you are of a certain age you will realise why this has blown my mind. This is the closest thing to a 'Monkey Magic' game I think I'll ever get, for this reason alone future purchase is confirmed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

Psssh, I'll only be picking up MoH, BFBC 2 Vietnam and Naruto ninja storm 2. I wont be buying black ops. Period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I will be picking up MOH, Cod Black ops and what is Battlefield BC2 Vietnam is it just a couple more map packs or is there other things in it.

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I will be picking up MOH, Cod Black ops and what is Battlefield BC2 Vietnam is it just a couple more map packs or is there other things in it.

BFBC2:Vietnam is an expansion pack with four new maps across all the game modes, new weapons, vehicles and achievemnets. It's multiplayer only, as far as I can tell. Due out in December.

• Advertisement

to be honest MOH looks crap. well not crap but just looks like mw2. im sure il have a go at it and see how it is,. as i did enjoy mw2 but i think il end up back at battlefield. the shooting doesnt look great in it either.
    anyone no if theres anything like rainbow 6 vegas coming out soon?

just a question for all of ye. Do any of ye think XBL kills alot of good story mode games and leaves them sitting there unplayed?
    i dont buy games:D:D but i even know now if i didnt have XBL i would have alan wake and red dead finished. (cycos copies of course)
    im only on my 2nd year XBL membership now with bout 9 months left on it and i think if we never got broadband in our area i wouldnt miss it for the xbox because theres so many different games out there but im just so hooked on battlefield, like i was home the weekend and i didnt even try f1 10 which is meant to be class. think il have to do shoveltooth on it and not renew it next time till i try some new games

Think it was on the other BFBC2 thread that I mentioned this before. Well, after a visit to my local optician yesteday, I found out that I have virtually perfect vision and no retinal damage (which was pretty cool looking at scanned images of my retina).

Ignoring the idea that I have either mild epilepsy or a tumour in my head, I may just be sensitive to glare and/or blue light. This has always been easily combated when outside, polaroid sunglasses do the trick nicely but I do feel a bit of a prat on overcast days (when there's a strong glare to the sky).

Anyway, wearing sunglasses is a small price to pay for not getting a whopper of a headache and having to sit in a dark room for several hours. However, not so easily remedied when sitting at my pc/laptop or console was bringing on similar symptoms: tired, itchy or dry eyes, soreness and/or headaches.

So after much web thrawling, thanks google, I've decided to invest in a set of Gunnar Optiks - eSport PPK glasses. I ordered them from ebay last night. I made the retailer an offer of $70 for them with $9 delivery, which worked out at €60 including delivery and he accepted. God knows how long they'll take to arrive from the US mail service.

I'm not convinced these glasses will do everything they claim to but for €60, I willing to give it a shot. Besides, my girlfriend understands that I can be in a lot of discomfort and has promised not to dump me due to wearing them, she even picked out the style of frame for me.
    ppk-onyx.png
    On a positive note about the glasses, the general feedback from reviewers is good. They always seem skeptical at first but nearly always seem to be won over by them. Regardless, within a short time I'll be able to give my own review.

here's a link to them: http://www.gunnars.com/remix/esport_ppk.php#

garv123 wrote: »
    just a question for all of ye. Do any of ye think XBL kills alot of good story mode games and leaves them sitting there unplayed?

Been giving this some thought for the last few hours coffees.

I don't think XBL has killed off a lot of good story mode games. Let's face it, the vast majority of story mode games, in the past, were sub-par. Obviously, there's always little gems like Oblivion, Fable, Splinter Cell, Fallout and such but for the most part, the games were linear, boring and probably under budgetted/developed to begin with.

So, with more emphasis on multiplayer games, story-type/off-line games will have to up their quality in order to compete in the market place. For example, currently, I have over 450 hours pumped into BFBC2 multiplayer and it seems like I haven't stopped yet. Value for money-wise, that's around 12 cent per hour. However, take your average story-mode only game and you're probably talking about 8-30 hours to complete and generally with limited replay appeal.

To compete against the likes of Halo, CoD and BF which are widely recognised as being bought for the multiplayer aspect, story-mode games need to become a special experience in order to justify their higher value-for-money rate. The bar has been raised in the industry by games like AC2, Fallout 3, Batman AA and of course recently, Alan Wake, so expect the next wave of story-type games to be absolutely excellent.

I believe it's only a natural progression of the gaming industry to merge with Hollywood more and more over the coming years. In the not-too-distant future, I see games and movies merging into a seemless enity where the viewer will take a far more active role within the movies they are watching. That is eventually where I see the story-mode type game evolving into something far more than just a videogame but a fully immersive media experience.

So, in short, I believe that multiplayer games are having an impact on the gaming industry. It'll push below-par games out of the market place and we'll probably end up with fair less games but of a much higher quality.

However, Garv, you're still going to have to drag yourself away from that multiplayer in order to play them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Has any IRL clan members got Command and Conquer? I bought a used one for €8 about a year ago and hardly ever played it. If any of you's have it we must have a game sometime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

In regards to moose's essay, I think MoH might be the only game I've played in a long time that will have good campaign mode & multiplayer (I seriously hope so anyway).

Fingers crossed.

In regards to moose's essay, I think MoH might be the only game I've played in a long time that will have good campaign mode & multiplayer (I seriously hope so anyway).

Fingers crossed.

Hey, Garv asked the question and nobody else was answering him... and I didn't know how to answer the question with a simple yes or no... hence the essay :o

Hopefully, MoH will have a decent campaign (probably 7-10 hours worth) but it doesn't really matter, it's Dice's multiplayer that is really going to sell the game. In fact, I wonder, if it was only released with a multiplayer mode, would everyone still buy it?

Hey, Garv asked the question and nobody else was answering him... and I didn't know how to answer the question with a simple yes or no... hence the essay :o

Hopefully, MoH will have a decent campaign (probably 7-10 hours worth) but it doesn't really matter, it's Dice's multiplayer that is really going to sell the game. In fact, I wonder, if it was only released with a multiplayer mode, would everyone still buy it?

people that dont have XBL wouldnt obviously :p:p

i saw ur comment and thought oh god. but luckily before i read it i saw u put a shortened summed up paragraph at the end so thats all i had to read:D:p

Has any IRL clan members got Command and Conquer? I bought a used one for €8 about a year ago and hardly ever played it. If any of you's have it we must have a game sometime.

Sorry Royal
    Had it but traded it in for 20 Euro which would have been a big profit.

This game fell off my radar a few months ago. Just read this article on Joystiq and it's definitely back on the radar. Up to 32 players online against each other in a modern FPS with vehicles... yes please!!!

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/06/homefront-multiplayer-preview-funding-the-war-machine/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I'm not sure sure about others here, but come OCT 22 all my free time will be stolen by fallout: new vegas. Fallout 3 was a black hole for many hours of my life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement