Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Paul Gray!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

I really hated Slipknot at the height of their fame but in recent years I got into them in a fairly big way. Only just found out he died while flicking through music channels and Scuzz are doing a tribute to him. Really sad to hear and that he has a kid on the way too. R.I.P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

scudzilla wrote: »
    This really is a great loss to the metal world, but have i got any sympathy for a guy who specifically checked into a hotel to Jack up? Fcuk no, not wasting my sympathy on him

There is no proof of that,
    also he had breathing problems, maybe you should wait for the autopsy results before jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

According to DesMoinesRegister.com, an autopsy of SLIPKNOT bass player Paul Gray has revealed no cause of death, Urbandale, Iowa police said this afternoon.

The cause of death is still under investigation, and the Polk County Medical Examiner is awaiting the results of toxicology testing.

Dr. Gregory Schmunk said it could be four to six weeks before all of the test results are complete and the cause of death can be determined, according to police.

The autopsy reportedly did confirm that there was no evidence of foul play or trauma, and that Gray had been dead for several hours before his body was discovered.

Gray was found dead in a hotel room in Urbandale, Iowa on Monday morning (May 24). The 38-year-old musician's body was discovered at 10:50 a.m. local time by an employee of the TownePlace Suites.

Witnesses reported that items from the hotel room were carried out of the hotel around 2:00 p.m., according to the web site of local television station KCCI.

Gray was born in Los Angeles and later moved to Des Moines, where he joined SLIPKNOT in 1995. The hardcore metal band, famous for their masks and stage gear, have released four million-selling studio albums since 1999.

He got married two years ago to Brenna Paul, with the couple expecting their first child later this year.

With SLIPKNOT taking a two-year break following the end of the touring cycle last year for its most recent album, "All Hope Is Gone", Gray had joined a new side group called HAIL!, featuring current and former members of JUDAS PRIEST and SEPULTURA.

At the West Des Moines branch of Guitar Center, employee Harold Waits had nothing but praise for Gray as a member of the local music community, saying, "Never had an attitude or a rock star attitude at all. He will be missed like you won't. You won't believe how much he'll be missed."

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭- bo -

Anna Molly wrote: »
    There is no proof of that,
    also he had breathing problems, maybe you should wait for the autopsy results before jumping to conclusions.

Exactly, can we hold off from jumping to conclusions about the cause of death for a bit?

Terrible news, 38 years old and not only was he and his wife expecting a child but their first child too.

Big enough fan, I got to see them for the first time just last year at Rock Im Park in Germany.. what a gig, without a doubt in my top 2/3 gigs, I got in the first couple of rows and it was just absolutely mental..

RIP Paul Gray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 plug-in-baby

Tis a pity he was a goodin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

w0w this is quite sad :(

He will be missed by all!!

Anyone see the live press conference?
    http://www.ustream.tv/slipknot

heart-breaking :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

much respect for paul

R.I.P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

R.I.P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Mushy wrote: »
    Not a fan in the slightest but thats a ridiculously young age to die!

RIP
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

:(:(:(

Corey nearly had me in tears

Oh, which one is Craig Jones....who has NEVER taken this mask off before now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Emotional stuff alright. Saw Slipknot twice in concert. RDS outdoors supporting Metallica, then a year later (iirc) indoors when the headlined. Will never forget the first time I saw them, they really were outstanding.

Will just leave this here, prob my fav song of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

Just watching scuzz, at least 4 of the days 10 most requested songs are Slipknot songs. (Probably more, if not all of the 10, havent been watching from the start). A nice tribute from the fans who watch scuzz.

The guy beside Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd listen to Slipknot on a regular basis. Really sad news. 38 is way too young.

R.I.P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Emotional stuff alright. Saw Slipknot twice in concert. RDS outdoors supporting Metallica, then a year later (iirc) indoors when the headlined. Will never forget the first time I saw them, they really were outstanding.

Will just leave this here, prob my fav song of theirs.

Amazing album that one. <3
    Remember a big argument about part I or part II of that dong being better. Good times.

haaard to say what caught my attention, fixed and crazy, aphid attractionnn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

That vid was pretty sad, gonna go crank me out some Slipknot now

Pretty ****ty how they just stuck his wife at the end of the row though, coulda easily took her in the middle of the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

It's very sad to hear of Paul Greys death. He is a
    big loss to Slipknot and the wider musical world too.
    It's likely that the band will not play again as the were very
    strict about not doing duets and breaking the "9.0" in any way.
    I'm very dissappointed that I will be unable to see them perform as I only became interested in their work after their last visit to Ireland.
    I feel for his family,especially his wife and unborn child as 34 is a very young age to die, whether it be the result from addiction or otherwise.
    The jokes really can't be seen as offensive as they are in jest, they merely show the posters poor taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭sean corcoran

It's very sad to hear of Paul Greys death. He is a
    big loss to Slipknot and the wider musical world too.
    It's likely that the band will not play again as the were very
    strict about not doing duets and breaking the "9.0" in any way.
    I'm very dissappointed that I will be unable to see them perform as I only became interested in their work after their last visit to Ireland.
    I feel for his family,especially his wife and unborn child as 34 is a very young age to die, whether it be the result from addiction or otherwise.
    The jokes really can't be seen as offensive as they are in jest, they merely show the posters poor taste.
    he was 38 anyway rip paul, i never got to see slipknot live but i hope after a while they keep going with the music, once again R.I.P Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

its your man to chris fehns left I think. once again R.I.P Paul

Early reports say he may have gone to the hotel to shoot up, being just a few miles from his home

According to TMZ.com, the hotel employee who discovered the body of SLIPKNOT bassist Paul Gray on Monday (May 24) told the 911 operator he noticed a hypodermic needle and a bottle of pills in the musician's hotel room when he found the body.

In the 911 call, which can be heard at TMZ.com, the employee — a maintenance worker at the Iowa hotel — tells the operator that he suspects Paul died of a "drug overdose" and that it appeared that Paul had been in the room for "a while."

The employee also told the 911 operator that Paul's mother had called the hotel earlier in the day because she couldn't get hold of her son.

It still amazes me that American Journalists can simply obtain a 911 call like this and then publish it on the Internet, amazes and disgusts me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Early reports say he may have gone to the hotel to shoot up, being just a few miles from his home

According to TMZ.com, the hotel employee who discovered the body of SLIPKNOT bassist Paul Gray on Monday (May 24) told the 911 operator he noticed a hypodermic needle and a bottle of pills in the musician's hotel room when he found the body.

In the 911 call, which can be heard at TMZ.com, the employee — a maintenance worker at the Iowa hotel — tells the operator that he suspects Paul died of a "drug overdose" and that it appeared that Paul had been in the room for "a while."

The employee also told the 911 operator that Paul's mother had called the hotel earlier in the day because she couldn't get hold of her son.

It still amazes me that American Journalists can simply obtain a 911 call like this and then publish it on the Internet, amazes and disgusts me

There's a chance TMZ might just be lying about the phonecall but even so. American Journalism tends to be cold hearthed. There dosen't seem to be any boundries or limits for journalists over there, like there are here. Which basically gives journalists in America all these loopholes to go snooping around for whatever news they can find. I tend to wonder and am almost sure some of their methods are illegal.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    There dosen't seem to be any boundries or limits for journalists over there, like there are here. Which basically gives journalists in America all these loopholes to go snooping around for whatever news they can find. I tend to wonder and am almost sure some of their methods are illegal.

I agree. As someone currently doing an MA in Journalism, I can tell you truthfully, that there is nowhere more callous when it comes to "Investigative Journalism" then the United States.

There is good Journalism in America, but a lot of it involves breaking doors down at the most distressing time, and I think Slipknot know this...they know Paul's past, they know what the media will try and do. And regardless of whether he did shooting up or he slipped and feel in the bathtub they will still push for this "wacky lifestyle meets wacky death"

I also hope I'm not being cold when I say that I hope Slipknot tour again, they are a great live act...or were...and I would love to see them again, even if they only tour once more in memory of Paul. He seemed to have been the founding member of the group in many respects, or at least a massive co-founding member, and I think his death will affect Slipknot more then the death of Mike Alexander from Evile (no disrespect)

Advertisement