Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog wont eat.!!!!

Options
  • 24-05-2010 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

i have a six year old boxer who was(i think) stung by a wasp friday,now i was at work and didnt see it happen but when i came home her eye was swollen as was her mouth,it has happened her before but the swelling wouldnt usually be so bad.
    anyway the swelling went down the next day and she ate for me fine but yeasterday and today she just wont eat the food for me,now i know she wants to because she is giving off frustrated whimpering and keeps trying to turn over her bowl in frustration.
    im thinking its either her teeth or her throat is sore but ive cheecked her teeth and she doesnt seem to be in any discomfort on inspection,could it be that she awallowed a wasp and it stung her throat? if she wont eat in the morning im going to have to take her to the vet but as her mother cost me a vets bill of 300 e last week im hoping someone will tell me they have had a similar experience and save me a trip to the vet,thanks in advance:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To be honest, sounds like the dog needs a vet sooner rather than later. The fact that she swelled up quite bad would suggest that shes allergic to the sting and there could be some damage there and could be the reason shes not eating. Bee/wasp stings can be serious in dogs so i would take her.

Have you got the dog insured? its well worth it and you wouldnt have a bill of 300 if you did, only the first 75 roughly, its brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭dan de man

no insurance im afraid,and yes the vet it is i think,the dog cant tell me whats wrong with her but the vet will

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My rule of thumb for inappetance is if it lasts longer than 48hrs then its straight to the vet. Your dog sounds like shes in pain and/or uncomfortable and the fact shes attempting to go near her food bowl and not eating means theres something she cant sort out by herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I think I'd take her to the vet. Is she drinking? If not, definitely get her to the vet

im taking her to the vet at 9am as she still cant/wont eat,will let you know the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Just saw this thread - now I'm terrified to leave my dog out in the garden while I'm at work in case she gets stung!
    Best of luck to you, OP, and to your dog at the vet's. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
    Is there any way to prevent dogs being stung like that?

well im back from the vets nad she got an anti inflammitory injection,a liquid to soothe her throat and 2 days worth of antibiotics,the vet wasnt overly concerned as her temperature is normal and she is in good spirits,she reckons she will eat for me this evening.
    i can go to work now with my mind at ease :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

That's great. Glad it all worked out.

Delighted to hear that! Do keep us posted on how she's doing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I'm glad she's doing well :)

Dogs can go downhill quickly from allergic reactions, my dog died of a reaction from being vaccinated, and died really quickly. I know that's not the same as being stung, but it was an allergic reaction and her throat closed up, so it could happen if the dog was allergic to wasp stings too.

• Advertisement

Hey Dan, just wondering if she ate this evening and if she's doing any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

Thats great that your doggy is doing better. I also have a boxer, who will be 6 in July, and Im afraid Im going to have a similar experience with her if she doesnt cop on and stop chasing wasps! Its one thing if they accidently come in contact with a wasp and get stung, but its another when they spend the day running around the garden after them, trying to catch them:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

That's good news. Hope she eats soon :)

at last after almost a week of coaxing,frustration and another trip to the vet she decided to wolf down a bowl of mince.thank god as i was getting worried for her,i tried everything including a ball of salt back her throat to induce vomiting(advised to do so) and am waiting on blood and urine samples.
    it was suggested to me that after being thrown down during her sting ordeal that her mother even at 10 was regurgitating to care for her as the mother/daughter relationship is still very evident between them and i began to think maybe there was something in it as the vet and i were at a loss as to how she was in such good form...so they were seperated yesterday and sure enough today she eats,whether coincidental or not i really dont care,im just happy shes back and when after a couple of days im satisfied that her appetite is fully back the reunion will be fun too :D
    thank you to everyone for your concern :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭carmel27

Hurrah! Glad shes doing better:)

Thrilled to hear that! Aren't animals wonderful - in fact, isn't mother nature wonderful too! Not at all surprised to hear her mother was caring for her. My daughter has my dogs son (yep, you'll may have to read that again!) and he is the only dog that my dog has any time for. Ironically, they were both rescue dogs and my daughter got Stig five months before I got Millie (and it wasn't planned that way, it just happened). Once they met each other again it was amazing to see their reaction! I have asked many people, including vets, if it is possible that they know they are mother and son and I have never gotten a definitive answer - but I think it speaks for itself really. Millie would eat any other dog that came near her but she licks and grooms Stig, lets him eat her food and play with her toys - amazing:cool:

Advertisement