Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vehicle Registration Cert question

• 24-05-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm considering buying a car from Sarsfield motors in Kilmainham. I saw it at the weekend and took it for a test drive. Tomorrow I'm getting it checked by the AA. I also got a report from motorcheck.ie and it seems to be ok.

I googled Sarsfield motors and it seems that some customers have had difficulty obtaining the VRC. What I'm wondering is, if I decide to buy the car, can I insist on them giving me the VRC on the day of purchase rather that waiting on them to post it off? I'd feel safer that way but I'm just wondering if I'd be within my rights to insist on it?

(I last purchased a car in 2002 so I'm not very familiar with the whole process. I'm trying to be as cautious as possible becuase I'll be paying 11K for the car.)

Any advice appreciated.

Twibbles.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

twibbles wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm considering buying a car from Sarsfield motors in Kilmainham. I saw it at the weekend and took it for a test drive. Tomorrow I'm getting it checked by the AA. I also got a report from motorcheck.ie and it seems to be ok.

I googled Sarsfield motors and it seems that some customers have had difficulty obtaining the VRC. What I'm wondering is, if I decide to buy the car, can I insist on them giving me the VRC on the day of purchase rather that waiting on them to post it off? I'd feel safer that way but I'm just wondering if I'd be within my rights to insist on it?

(I last purchased a car in 2002 so I'm not very familiar with the whole process. I'm trying to be as cautious as possible becuase I'll be paying 11K for the car.)

Any advice appreciated.

Twibbles.

Unfortunately they are not obliged to give you the Vehicle Licencing Cert, the correct process is for them to send it to the DOE in Shannon with your details on it. I would try and get them to drop it in a nearby post box there and then. The alternative if they are messing you about is be prepared to visit them every day until they send it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Or if your having such concerns or are not entirely comfortable, walk away! Its not as if there is a shortage of quality used cars out there !

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭twibbles

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

twibbles wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Good luck with the search :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Hi, This is something I get asked about quite a bit. It can be quite nerve wracking leaving a substantial amount of money behind as you take the car and trust in the seller to send off the documentation.

The reality is that it's in the best interests of the garage to get the car registered in your name as soon as possible. That way they won't be getting letters from the toll guys about unpaid tolls or friendly reminders about the parking tickets you might be unlucky enough to pick up.

Most delays are usually caused by the previous owner not providing the VLC to the garage when they trade the car in. It can take a while to have a new one issued by the department of transport not to mention the hassle of filling out forms and having them stamped by a Garda.

If the garage have the VLC you should be fine but if you really want to be sure why not ask the AA guy to witness you signing the paperwork? That way they'll know that you're expecting it to be sent off asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Motorcheck wrote: »
    Most delays are usually caused by the previous owner not providing the VLC to the garage when they trade the car in. It can take a while to have a new one issued by the department of transport not to mention the hassle of filling out forms and having them stamped by a Garda.

I would be surprised if Garages took cars in from people without the VRC. Nice way to offload stolen cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Good point. I wouldn't say it happens often. More likely only with someone the garage knows - maybe a previous customer or the like. With the number of forged VRC's flying around at the moment everyone needs to be very careful.

Advertisement