Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland: visa options

Options
  • 24-05-2010 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have a question regarding my girlfriends visa. She is currently on a 3month Visit visa. We would like to extend her stay and we dont think we would satisfy the conditions of the defacto visa at the moment.
    In order to extend her stay, would it be possible for us to apply for a re-entry visa for her, then go to the UK or Europe for a week and then return to Ireland and get a fresh 90 days ie. if we applied just before her current visa expired at the end of July, would we get a new 90 days or so from July if we were successful in our application?

or would it be better for her to return to her home country for a few weeks and then apply for another visit visa for 3months from there? Do they usually allow this?

Or does anyone have any other ideas as to how we can legally extend her stay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm no expert but I believe the local garda station can handle it cant they? Or at least its a good place to start.

Also If she had to leave and come back again (and I doubt she will) I assume it would have to be to outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sophie4187

I'm in the same position as your girlfriend.. I was on a 3 month visa and I wanted to extend my stay.. I called my local garda station and they said that since I didn't ask at the airport for a longer time to stay, they couldn't do anything. They said to write a letter to the DOJ about my case and to apply for permission to remain. About 3 weeks later, I received a refusal saying that even the DOJ can't extend the 3 months permit. As far as I know, you can leave Ireland and come back in again but lots of times they won't give you the full 3 months if you haven't been gone long.. good luck, as I know the stress of this situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ye its a crappy situation.

The defacto is really strict to be sucessful in to.

You can stay for a maximum of 90days on a tourist/visit visa, nobody can change that.

I think the best bet is for her to return to her home country, stay there a few weeks and then for your gf to apply to come on another visit visa. The only concern id have is that they usually require something for the applicant to return to in her home country ie a job/college course. If your gf is popping back and forth there is nothing for her to return to in her own country and its possible they could disallow on this, although i cant be certain, its just my interpretation of it!

Marriage is the only way forward, unless you could satisfy the defacto in the near future....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I think the best bet is for her to return to her home country, stay there a few weeks and then for your gf to apply to come on another visit visa.

You have to have at least a 90 days break before they will consider issuing a new vistior's visa.....

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

This is probably a better place to ask this question.http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewforum.php?f=34

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You have to have at least a 90 days break before they will consider issuing a new vistior's visa.....

Jim

You sure about that? I never heard about that...

You sure about that? I never heard about that...
    Jim2007 wrote: »

Jim

Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It cant be true. What about business people going back and forth?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭sophie4187

It isn't true.. I got a 3 month visa in January, left for a month, and then received another one! There is no specific time limit you have to leave to come back in again.. they just might take a second look at things!

Advertisement