Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywere to get a puppy?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am interested to get a puppy in the near future, and was wondering if anyone knows anyone that has a dog due with pups and want to give them away? I have called into the pound a few times, but their opening hours don't suit me at all and cant get down to them when they have dogs.

Also anyone that have any experience with dogs would appreciate any tips on what type of dog to get. I had a fantastic dog for 16 years when i was younger and died due to old age, he was a small enough dog. But had such a great personalty and was quite intelligent. Wanting another type dog that was not extremely small but not massive ether. Knee high type dog.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Columc wrote: »
    But had such a great personalty and was quite intelligent.

A West Highland Terrier is what you need :D

Although not quite knee high, classed as a small dog, but is the biggest of the small dog class.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Get a mongrel from the pound. They're much healthier than pedigrees. Don't get a dog that's to small either as there are all sorts of horrible side effects to making a dog with those sorts of genetic abnormalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

www.madra.ie

do some good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

PS: My dog was rescued, and he's the sweetest, most loveable guy. I don't think I could ever bring myself to get a non-rescue dog ever again.

28887_764735866167_13605750_43868164_7297923_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

If you want a really special friend then go to the pound or a rescue centre! I got my little one, Millie, 14 months ago and she is the love of my life. We've had great fun getting to know each other and now we couldn't be without each other:)
    You'd do anything for a friend, wouldn't you? So make it possible to get to the pound or shelter. You'll be so proud of yourself when you do! Best of luck!
    Click on the image to see my baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Ya I agree go to a rescue, they open at weekends so dont have to stick to the 9-5 of the pound.

I got Ozzie in Ashton pound in Dublin they open on a Saturday!

Ozzie 18.2.10.jpg

Oz 18.2.10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Ya I agree go to a rescue, they open at weekends so dont have to stick to the 9-5 of the pound.

I got Ozzie in Ashton pound in Dublin they open on a Saturday!

Ozzie 18.2.10.jpg

Oz 18.2.10.jpg

He's gorgeous! He looks so cute! Well done to you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

There's a lady on here with a rescue in Galway, her boards name is EGAR, East Galway Animal Rescue.
    I know she runs a bull breed rescue but I think she has other breeds too and sometimes pups, and I'm sure she'd give you some advice at the very least.
    Try googling EGAR and her website should be the first on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Shazanne wrote: »
    He's gorgeous! He looks so cute! Well done to you:)

Thanks, he is a sweetheart such a gentle dog. He is 5 we think but has LOADS of energy!
    mymo wrote: »
    There's a lady on here with a rescue in Galway, her boards name is EGAR, East Galway Animal Rescue.
    I know she runs a bull breed rescue but I think she has other breeds too and sometimes pups, and I'm sure she'd give you some advice at the very least.
    Try googling EGAR and her website should be the first on the list.

Ya you could try EGAR (www.egar.org), MADRA (www.madra.ie) or GSPCA (www.galway-spca.com)

EGAR have 20 odd dogs I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

For a puppy, I'd go to a rescue instead of the pound, because if the pup's from the pound it could be sick . . . and you're doing good by helping out a rescue too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I would definitely say rescue a dog. However, have you checked out the rehoming section on here? There were a few puppies on there the last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

you should definitely try and check out a rescue centre - there are so many dogs and puppies out there that need rescuing - and most shelters do open on Saturdays (and sometimes Sundays!) so even people working full time can make it in.

It does take persistance though because (thankfully!) there can be a high turnover of dogs - we made nearly weekly visits on Saturday afternoons for about 2 months to our local shelter before we found a dog we liked that wasn't already booked by someone else!

Just as an aside though - do you work fulltime? I would say though that if you are thinking of getting a puppy and you work fulltime you should get 2 dogs/puppies - I don't think it's fair on any dog to be kept alone all on their own for 8 hours a day while you're at work - and it can be especially damaging for a puppy and can lead to all sorts of psychological and social problems which can end up being very difficult to deal with. :( Also no reputable shelter would even consider giving a puppy to people in this situation - you can of course just go out and buy a puppy from who ever will sell you one, if you are set on just getting one...but really you should consider what's best for the dog - and ultimately for you in the long run! Of course this is all a moot point if you're going to be around most of the day and there's some other reason for you not being able to get to the pound during it's weekday opening hours! In which case, sorry for the rant :)
    Anyway, my original reason for posting was to say that we adopted our little Obi 2 months ago when he was about 4 months old and he's a complete dote! :) (photo attached) We do both work fulltime so Obi has a pal Roly the Basset (not a rescue - got him from a family friend at 4 months old too who couldn't keep him anymore) - see the 2nd photo.

Anyway apologies if this post is a bit off-topic - I thought it was worth saying!

Advertisement