Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I Wasting My Time?

Options
  • 24-05-2010 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hey everyone, I am considering a career in market research. I am currently studying for a Bachelor of Commerce degree and will (hopefully) be entering my final year in September.

The problem is that from researching the career as a market research analyst, I've found that you need a strong background in subjects such as maths, stats and economics. In my college exams, I barely passed economics each time and didn't do too much better in maths. I was really lazy in first year at college so that's the main reason but I actually don't understand economics anyway!

Am I wasting my time going into marketing research next year then? I can't explain on my CV that I was just lazy so will I even be considered for a job ever?!

I really don't know what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreicated. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Nope not at all, Bcomm is a great degree. Top consultancy firms are fussy about the grades, but some business businesses are interested in more than just grades. Ie. what you did other than college work. Obviously being lazy or spending your day in the pub might not shine so in the mean time get some accomplishments under your belt worth discussing in an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I think a commerce degree is a good background to have in market research because it means that you are commercially aware and have an broad understanding of business. If you are dealing with clients and reporting back on the research finding this is critical as you can add perspective and ensure that conclusions are grounded. Note that market research companies are business's too and need a commercial edge and a keen eye to sell more services, projects, expertise, creative insight to clients.

It also depends if you are fucussing on quantitative or qualitative....the former will mean that you have to be good with numbers and their interogation (a lot of which is done by specific computer software e.g. SPSS etc.) and the latter requires people and interaction skills. So long as you are able to demonstrate concrete performance in either or both these areas during your degree you have a good foundation to pursue your career in market research.

Whether it's enough to get you an interview is another story, which will boil down to your grades, project work etc.

Perhaps as a suggestion look at doing your final year project in association with a market research company, offering your time and effort for free while gaining invaluable experience in helping the company solve or enlighten a particular area of their business.

Importantly, enjoy college cause this time next year its all over! ;)

Advertisement