Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the offside trap dead ?

• 25-05-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

I was reading this article on the possible abolition of the offside (seems another blatter hair brained idea).

But in it the writer states that the changes to the offside rule (whether a player is interfering with play) has led to the death of the offside trap.

The anti-offside lobby should be careful what they wish for

In my opinion I don't believe it is certainly not italy (Of course whether it was used anywhere else could be debated).

But my question are offside traps still used in football. And do you think they were a good tactic in football?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Nothing more rewarding than beating the offside trap and the goalkeeper! :)

It's definitely not dead, the four lads in the back line certainly aren't waving at the cameras when they have their hands in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Defences will just on the egde of the 18 yard box and rarely push up so the game will become stretched with acres of time and space. Much like nightowls and most 11 a side astro leagues, we be all deadly lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »

But my question are offside traps still used in football. And do you think they were a good tactic in football?
    Yes still used in football and never a good tactic with Paul Mcshane on the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Yes used a good bit saw reading use it a lot this year especially in the fa cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ocokev wrote: »
    Yes still used in football and never a good tactic with Paul Mcshane on the field.

Haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well a trusted La Liga expert on RTE claims it's the only way Barcelona know how to defend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's designed to tighten the game to increase the skill levels required to break it down. If the offside trap didn't exist, Ronaldo could never make amazingly dazzling runs because the defenders wouldn't move past the 18 yard box, they couldn't. They would never be needed to develop those skills. It would shift massively towards other skills that would work best in a game with no offside, mainly imo, strength and finishing over pace and drlibbing.

Advertisement