Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

triathlon bike????

• 25-05-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭

I want to enter my first triathlon so iv started swimming and running most days I have a bike but it is no way any good for any kind of road racing so im just wondering what would you oppions be for a good starter bike.Im trying in no way to be competitive.I was looking at some of the specialized stuff but im open to all suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

Enter a race first, see if you like it. Alot of people like the idea of being a triathlete but get sense after their first event. Triathlon is hard. It's not for everyone.
    If you have a bike, you are golden. You won't be racing your first tri anyway.
    Tri can be expensive. Save ur money for entry fees,a good beginner tri book, wetsuit, trisuit, b&b's, hotels etc and enjoy your summer.
    There are so many people that splash alot of cash early on and end up with a garage load of kit they don't use.
    My own TT bike is a beaut but I only get to use it maybe four times a season. I always end up training on the road bike. Plus it's better for sportives, charity cycles and road races. Not to mention safer.
    Enjoy ur season. Get your skates on, races are filling up fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Ah i was thinking that so i was just going to get a good road bike to start off.well i have no plans on even trying to be anyway competitive this year more just doing it for myself,i was planning on starting off small on the sprint races and have been watching and reading the Steven Taylor books and dvds..So would you recommend specialized bikes?could you give me a few other manufactures to have a look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭austinbyrne21

There seems to be 3 entry level road bikes that keep coming up in these type of threads - Trek 1.2, Specialized Allez Sport, Giant Defy 3. They've all pretty much the same components. In fact there's nothing much to separate them other than looks, fit and your own opinion of them.

I personally went for the Specialized, find it brilliant for what I want. A close friend went for the Trek so I've seen that up close too. He loves it and finds no faults in it either.

I reckon most of the big brands have entry-level bikes. Some nice Bianchi ones on slanecycles website, might be something a little different to the rest.

Anyway, these are just the opinions (ramblings) of a newbie so I'm sure there's people far more in-the-know that can offer more opinions...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Rule 25 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭buzzingnoise

There seems to be 3 entry level road bikes that keep coming up in these type of threads - Trek 1.2, Specialized Allez Sport, Giant Defy 3. They've all pretty much the same components. In fact there's nothing much to separate them other than looks, fit and your own opinion of them.

I personally went for the Specialized, find it brilliant for what I want. A close friend went for the Trek so I've seen that up close too. He loves it and finds no faults in it either.

I reckon most of the big brands have entry-level bikes. Some nice Bianchi ones on slanecycles website, might be something a little different to the rest.

Anyway, these are just the opinions (ramblings) of a newbie so I'm sure there's people far more in-the-know that can offer more opinions...

And dont forget planet X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

well that's 2 of the bikes i was already looking at so i must be going to so what of the right direction.But as for rule 25??? im at a loss.:confused:Maybe some type of bike related jargon i don't quite get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Another thing you should consider is if you can avail of the Bike to Work scheme. A lot of people on here have done so.

If you can, that broadens your range, and can bring you to the next level of bikes.

I was considering the Trek/Giant/Specialized/Felt/Lapierre at the entry level mentioned.
    However, after some discussions and advice on here and elsewhere, I've decided to use the entire €1000 on the bike. Accessories, I can get later.

So I've ordered a Corratec Dolomiti Tiagra, and am waiting on the processing of the paperwork before picking it up.
    http://www.corratec.de/en/bikes2010/road/race/dolomiti_tiagra_wro.php

One of the advantages of going the next step up, is the Tiagra shifters, as you can change gears while in the drops, unlike the Sora on the entry level (or so I'm told).

Just something to consider before you splash out.

Advertisement