Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does my AIB account show "DR"?

Options
  • 25-05-2010 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Im just curious why my account has gone into debit after my insurance has come out of it, because usually if i dont have enough money it bounces and i get a letter from the insurance company! Does this mean that AIB have given me an overdraft? Also, anyone know if AIB have any plans for a VISA Debit Card in the near future like Ulster Bank have? Their laser / maestro card is crap!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

In most cases when you have a regular withdrawl coming out the case for a temporary overdraft is requested and needs to be approved. If your in stable employment this request is usually granted and a referral charge is applied. AFAIK the referral charge is €5.50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Happened me too, I have a limit on my Credit card of €x, Last month i went over it by 2 or 3 euro and i was charged €7 for going over my limit. I think its a joke that you are not informed that you went over your limit. IMO the Credit card should stop working if you have gone above it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Not all shops use processors/acquirers that give perfect balance information, and your issuer may not apply transactions immediately.

It is generally not possible to always be certain a transaction will be declined if it brings you over limit.

If this is important to you just jot down what you spend and add it up periodically (especially if you know you are close to your limit).

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

I agree, it should be like some sort of opt in service from AIB if anything! They should not be allowed to charge me 5.50 without my consent! Thanks for the replies

IMC042 wrote: »
    They should not be allowed to charge me 5.50 without my consent!

Well its part of their Terms and Conditions so you have consented to it technically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

They approve/decline transactions that bring accounts into debit on a case by case basis. I worked there for a year.......a very long year.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Well its part of their Terms and Conditions so you have consented to it technically.

Yeh, but who reads those? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

yeah but thats your problem then. The bank are covered as their forms ask have these things been read. Your problem if you havent read them. i dont agree with some of the charge but they are transparent for everyone to see.

Fair enough if you go into a shop but there are some times when you REALLY do need to read the Terms & Conditions. Banking is one of those times.

chris85 wrote: »
    yeah but thats your problem then. The bank are covered as their forms ask have these things been read. Your problem if you havent read them. i dont agree with some of the charge but they are transparent for everyone to see.

i guess i can live with it. just have to keep money in there in future i guess! so does anyone have an answer to my other question about whether AIB have plans to make a decent debit card with VISA ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

The kind of people who don't need to start a thread on a bulletin board to ask about a basic service/charge that's outlined in the terms and conditions that they signed, stating that they had read them and agreed to them?:D
    i guess i can live with it. just have to keep money in there in future i guess! so does anyone have an answer to my other question about whether AIB have plans to make a decent debit card with VISA ?

No idea. Would be surprised to see them make any such changes any time soon. Think they have bigger concerns at the moment, and for the most part, customers are happy with their Maestro cards! I am. What do you define as "decent"? My maestro does everything I want it to do.

dotsman wrote: »
    The kind of people who don't need to start a thread on a bulletin board to ask about a basic service/charge that's outlined in the terms and conditions that they signed, stating that they had read them and agreed to them?:D

I opened my AIB account when I was 8 so i wasnt very interested in the T&C's then! :)
    dotsman wrote: »
    No idea. Would be surprised to see them make any such changes any time soon. Think they have bigger concerns at the moment, and for the most part, customers are happy with their Maestro cards! I am. What do you define as "decent"? My maestro does everything I want it to do.

I'd define decent as a card i can use to purchase online, a card i can use to avoid ryanair's service charges - €15 :eek: - and a card that works on the playstation network!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

a card i can use to avoid ryanair's service charges - €15

Visa Debit won't help you with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I opened my AIB account when I was 8 so i wasnt very interested in the T&C's then! :)

Well, here's some interesting bed-time reading for you:D

Terms and Conditions
    Charges and Fees
    I'd define decent as a card i can use to purchase online, a card i can use to avoid ryanair's service charges - €15 :eek: - and a card that works on the playstation network!

Maestro works online for many Irish websites, for others, I would recommend a credit card anyway as it is far safer/handier in the event of a dispute.

As for ryanair, as Buffybot said, You are still charged for Visa Debit (it is ryanair after all!)

No idea of what the playstation network is or how it operates, but I imagine that a credit card would also be fine on it.

Advertisement