Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OPINION: NEW Fiat Panda or some other car?

• 25-05-2010 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

HI

A friend is thinking of buying a Fiat Panda , as its possibly the only new car he can afford, we allowing for scrappage etc

He was all set but then heard the usual things from people re Fiat, and it being an old persons car etc

He is now stressing big time so would appreciate if any more well-informed folk had an opinion on the choice of car, or recommend the others near to the price - maybe up to 1500-200 grand more ?

really woud be appreciated - I know all dependent on him as an individual -but any opinion welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Panda is extremely, extremely reliable for its price point. You have to throw all perceptions of the brand away. Its not built in Italy, its built in Poland for starters - different factory, different labour force, different work ethic.

Its also very cheap, but it does have the disadvantage of being 7 years old. However the new model hasn't even been announced yet so could be a while away. Default spec is decent but the interior of the eco active model is solid plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Brilliant car for the money. Don't let the association with women or older people put you off it, the base spec has all the mod cons and a lively engine. Fuel efficient, cheap to tax, they seldom go wrong if they do it's not expensive to put right and there's a good dealer network.

The Ford KA, Opel Agila and FIAT 500 are all based on the Panda chassis, so they must be doing something right.

MYOB is right in saying a new model is coming soon. If they want the latest and greatest advise them to wait a while, if they want a cheap reliable car tell them nows as good a time as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

The missus has one, really good drive, comfortable, cheap to run and a surprisingly elevated driving position.

Apparently the new one is due out next year.
    Test photos most of the new details are blanked out but it doesn't look to have changed too much.

Here's more news on the new launch

The spy pics are actually the new small Lancia chassis using a Panda bodyshell as a disguise, apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The Panda is a good little car, functional and robust but also fun to drive. It does provide the platform for the Fiat 500 and Ford Ka but not the Open Agila which in its current form is a clone of the Suzuki Splash. The most closely related Fiat to the Opel Agila would be the unloved Sedici which along with its Suzuki cousin the SX4 is based on the Swift platform, a shortened version of which underpins the Suzuki Splash and Opel Agila.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I'd love one as a runabout, the 100Hp version looks like great fun as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

2 Espressi wrote: »
    I'd love one as a runabout, the 100Hp version looks like great fun as well.

Ditto... I would have 3.. the Panda 4x4 Cross, the 100hp and a diesel..

Smashing car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

thanks all

will pass your replies on

very helpful :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Hiya,

I have an 05 Panda, 1.2 engine.

Great car altogether, have had no problems with it and have owned it since 2006.

Unfortunately I will need to sell it as I am going to need a bigger car...as baba no 3 is on the way!!!

Would anyone know how much I would get on a trade in?

Cheers :D

About 2500-3000, maybe a bit less. A brand new 1.1 is under 7k on scrappage now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

disco girl wrote: »
    Hiya,

I have an 05 Panda, 1.2 engine.

Great car altogether, have had no problems with it and have owned it since 2006.

Unfortunately I will need to sell it as I am going to need a bigger car...as baba no 3 is on the way!!!

Would anyone know how much I would get on a trade in?

Cheers :D

Congrats on the baby!

Advertisement